Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisements.  More…

Article: How classy will the A380 be?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by needaholiday, Nov 28, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needaholiday

needaholiday Intern

Aug 29, 2005
    Sydney Aust.
    Article in the Sydney Morning Herald, says Qantas will be opting fro a 'sub-500' layout in their A380's, with onboard lounge access for WHY pax.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/how-classy-will-the-a380-be/2005/11/18/1132016935933.html

Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    A fantastic article.

That snippet posted above is only a fraction of the full article - well worth a read of the full article.

It's time to get excited. :D

3. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Airbus says a trial evacuation of its A380 plane was a success despite 33 volunteers suffering injuries...

4. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interesting that they say it will be less than 500 seats, given their proclamations that it would set a record for the longest 500 seat service. They may need to rework that!

5. jasonja3

jasonja3 Member

Sep 12, 2005
    SYD
    What I find interesting is the concept of economy lounges. Not sure of exact figures but assume 350-400 Y PAX, the lounges wont be very big, how will they govern their use? Will there be a mad rush as soon as the seat belt sign is off?

Also which such a large aircraft, and so many PAX, people will be free to move around between common area's, am I being paranoid or does that represent greater ability or opportunity for security breaches? :shock:

JJ

6. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    The lounges could well be turned into Qantas Clubs with access the same as for land based lounges, would make a perfect venue for a FF event :eek:

7. Jobu

Jobu Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Hopefully, WPs will be able to access to the First Class lounges...

:eek:)

JOBU

8. duffshot

duffshot Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Brisbane
    Not too bad given this is an emergency evacuation test in the dark. I'd be happy to get away with a broken leg if I am out quick enough to avoid the fire...

BTW and slightly OT- As a WP I think the airlines need to find a way so that status can be taken into account for any evacuations. You need to make sure the best customers survive to fly another day :)

9. Bob

Bob Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Brisbane (sometimes)
    The most practical way would be to have swipe card access to the best escape slides. Alternatively, a smartgate facility. Of course, in the event of a technical malfunction, there would need to be a backup Slide Dragon at each exit. But on the whole, I see no reason why your idea would not fly. :twisted:

10. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Are you familiar with the term "The peasants are revolting!"

Well I'm pretty sure they would be :!: 8) :roll:

11. bfmi

bfmi Intern

Feb 8, 2006
    Well I'm stuffed, my QF Plat card nevers swipes! Up to the third card now. No other cards failing in wallet.

12. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Whatever happens let's hope it goes in nose first and the only exits usable are the rear exits! :) Save the people worthy of being saved first!

13. duffshot

duffshot Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Brisbane
    I was thinking the top floor should be for WPs with interlocks on the bottom floor exits so they don't open until all the WPs have been safely evacuated and seted in a safe area with an HP

14. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not all are revolting. Some of them pretty nice chaps :lol: .

15. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

Now come on, they aren't that bad - unpleasant and unattractive maybe, but revolting is a bit strong.

Dave

16. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

I should have read the whole threadd before I replied!

Dave

17. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yes, an old Goon Show gag from the 50's. And probably goes back way before that as well.

18. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Oops :!:

Forgot that I'm going to be one of them this weekend. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My first real back of the bus (ie Y) trip in a 747 since 1982 :!:

:roll: :? :( :cry: :evil: :twisted:

19. duffshot

duffshot Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Brisbane
    We'll be thinking of you in your struggle straitman

20. Bob

Bob Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Brisbane (sometimes)
    And that would be the struggle to get past the Slide Dragon to the swipe card reader that will give you access to the escape slide after the interlocks have released - only when the last of the WPs has leisurely decamped from the sinking plane...