Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Arm rest etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qantas
Platinum
What's the etiquette on armrests? On the occasions that I've had to endure a middle economy seat (never by choice), my window and aisle travellers seem to assume both middle armrests are theirs, even extending to elbows straying into the centre seat space. I know economy seating can be cramped for even a small person, but the middle seat goes from bad to horrible if there's no armrest on either side and encroaching neighbours.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
General thoughts tend to indicate that "Middle" seats gets priority over window/aisle but YMMV.

ortho85

Intern
First in, best dressed? Or, might is right?

Is there any real etiquette?

haydensydney

Established Member
These types of questions appear here in a cyclical fashion every now and again... but to repeat my position:

If you are in the middle seat, you get both armrests - the window and aisle on get their solo armrest + an aisle or window :) It's only fair.

JohnK

Veteran Member
I think it is fair to assume the person in middle seat gets both armrests.

TirEoghain

I think it is fair to assume the person in middle seat gets both armrests.

And only the armrest, not a few inches extra elbow room into the seat on each side!

(Hope the non status fella in 3E on my Virgin flight last Sunday is reading this.. how he got a row 3 seat in the first place is a discussion for another thread..)

blackcat20

Enthusiast
General thoughts tend to indicate that "Middle" seats gets priority over window/aisle but YMMV.

I had a middle seat last night. Aisle guy took the armrest on that side, family member tried to take the other but I gave her a nudge and told her it was mine :D if it had been a stranger I probably would have tried a subtle takeover...though if I travel alone I don't do middle seats.

Awesom Andy

Established Member
Aisle seat is usually my preference, and I generally give up the middle arm rest to the poor soul squeezed in the middle.

zig

Established Member
I likewise always give up the arm rest to the unfortunate person sitting in the middle seat, luckily it is never me :)

Last edited:

TonyHancock

I had the benefit of both armrests in 6E yesterday. Never an issue, no need to nudge or fight for them. Very civilized.

My God it was cramped though. My first time in a middle seat for over a year.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Flew home from Melbourne the other day, my seatmate could only have been worse if they had also been overweight...Ok it was an A330 so only a pair, however she seemed to think both seats were hers :|

Hogged the middle armrest, leaning almost in to my space, putting her feet wherever she wished, started prettying up her nails...ugh. I've come to the conclusion that it's almost better sitting up the back with the plebs, the DYKWIA's at the front seem to annoy me more!

Must...Fly!

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
....wait until you have to sit next to me! :p
I'll just have a word to the CSM to make sure you get a glass of wine/champagne from J, surely that will keep you civil!

If not, well, maybe I can ask really nicely and get them to leave the bottle :p

casanovawa

Established Member
You'd think grown adults aught to be able to come to some sort of satisfactory arrangement to share part of the armrest, or use it at different times etc...

Hmmm, probably not....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinmathews