Are you in the Know?? Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaWolf

Established Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
1,224
Solutions
3
Points
425
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
pauly7 said:
On one of my flights I visited the DJ lounge, was eerily empty - could have shot a 737 through it! - I would almost prefer it to be busy because then you know that it is popular, being used and marked for enhancement...

I have to disagree with people's comments about QF lounges though, I fly at peak times and have never not been able to get a seat. Bit of exaggerating I think... :p I will admit they are busier, but I don't mind that. I bump into so many people I know its kind of funny :p
:confused: My visits to the airline lounges are at peak times, e.g. usually between 05:45 and 06:45 in SYD and between 16:30 and 18:30 in MEL. The QP is generally full in the late afternoons/early evenings. On one occasion I walked around for about 8 mins waiting for a seat to clear when a flight was called. You can see the odd seat here and there but they are in a group of 4 and the other 3 are taken by pax who are together and have spread out, usually with a bag on the empty seat.

I've never seen the Virgin Blue lounges empty either - I've been one of the first to walk in at SYD around 5:35am in and waiting for the last MEL-SYD flight at night and there are always people there, but always enough space to work or relax, play pool. watch a movie, etc.
 

jakeseven7

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
7,745
Solutions
2
Points
1,145
I really hope DJ are doing something really big, not just adding some hotel chain. I really don't mind DJ but feel they have been treading water this year, I don't think the TV's are a master play and the US flights are still a fair way off. Velocity really is pretty average so I'm hoping for GREAT things!!

I have to disagree with people's comments about QF lounges though, I fly at peak times and have never not been able to get a seat. Bit of exaggerating I think... :p I will admit they are busier, but I don't mind that. I bump into so many people I know its kind of funny :p

FINGERS CROSSED for the big announcement!!

I'm looking forward to it as well - for those interested there was a big article on Virgin on the back page of the AFR today (mainly focussed on when Toll would sell out of them) talking about Tiger coming in and a little critical of the US expansion and the regional jets - apparantly several other airlines have had major problems rolling them (Embrarers) out and most airlines now avoid them... hmmmmm :( Analysts say the boom for Virgin is over come Tiger and this is as good as it gets... but I guess you could say that for the profitablility of all oz airlines for a while.

I really hope it is J class and Star Alliance!

I agree, QF club is busy, but I've never not found a seat :rolleyes:
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
906
Points
0
jakeseven7 said:
I agree, QF club is busy, but I've never not found a seat :rolleyes:
I have my toes crossed that it's Star Alliance and J seats but I think it may be unlikely. As for the QP, try Sydney at 6pm. It's a disaster but as long as there is a rum and coke, I'll sit on the floor. ;)
 

Standby

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
634
Points
265
no email but yet BUT I bumped into a mate from BNE on the weekend who has involvement with the DJ. He suggested a more comfortable seat was on the horizon. not a big blue one but one which converts from 6 to 4 across possibly. I seem to remember Australian used to have them on 737s at one time...only time will tell if he was having a lend of me..it was after numerous xx_X's which do impact the ability to stay focused;)
 

justinbrett

Established Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
3,242
Points
845
Qantas
Platinum
Only issue I can see with Star Alliance is competition with Air New Zeland on the trans-tasman routes. (would they be allowed to operate codeshares after the same deal was denied with QF). I would also assume they will also want to continue the codeshare deal with united on the US routes (but I guess they could do it like QF/BA do on the SIN/LHR routes).

Perhaps Skyteam might be an alternative option?

You'd think either one would be glad to have an Australian carrier - especially star alliance as nothing has filled the ansett void (and thus I assume Australian business has dropped significantly).
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,314
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
Standby said:
no email but yet BUT I bumped into a mate from BNE on the weekend who has involvement with the DJ. He suggested a more comfortable seat was on the horizon. not a big blue one but one which converts from 6 to 4 across possibly. I seem to remember Australian used to have them on 737s at one time...only time will tell if he was having a lend of me..it was after numerous xx_X's which do impact the ability to stay focused;)

The convertible seats live on in some of the Qantas 737's. I actually would not be surprised to see such a move, but I am sure it won't be called business class.

As for Star Alliance or SkyTeam, maybe moves in that direction, but can't see it really happening just yet. Although would be nice.
 

stuartfaz

Active Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
526
Points
230
StevePER said:
Maybe...you're going to receive a shiny new card in the mail?

Here's a interesting/stupid observation/red herring for you...

Virgin Blue are lowering the Velocity card replacement prices, from $25 to $10.

Maybe they've printed out a few too many new ones, hopefully with a little star in the corner...:)
 

stuartfaz

Active Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
526
Points
230
stuartfaz said:
...hopefully with a little star in the corner...:)

Am I the only one gearing myself up for what could be a major star-alliance-less letdown? :p
 

wallacej

Active Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
802
Points
10
stuartfaz said:
Here's a interesting/stupid observation/red herring for you...

Virgin Blue are lowering the Velocity card replacement prices, from $25 to $10.

Maybe they've printed out a few too many new ones, hopefully with a little star in the corner...:)

Didn't know there was a fee.:)

As for a * in the corner... yeah, setting yourself up for a let down for sure :D
 

stuartfaz

Active Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
526
Points
230
wallacej said:
As for a * in the corner... yeah, setting yourself up for a let down for sure :D

I prefer to live in faith/delusion...if Virgin are going to pump this up so much it's got to be an alliance or a severe DJ/Velocity restrucure (J class, tiers etc.), which I personally don't see happening WITHOUT some kind of alliance tie-in.

I dunno, maybe it's just the vodka talking...:p
 

N860CR

Suspended
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
4,453
Points
715
A DJ/* tie up isn't that unrealistic. It was looked at a few years ago, however at the time DJ's computer system was too LCC to allow interlining/codeshares/etc. However, now that DJ interline with UA, MH, HA etc etc that issue could well be in the past.

I don't know how big an issue it would be with NZ on trans-Tasmans, but I'd imagine there are a few Star routes where two airlines are up against each other (UA & US probably).

Still might be a long shot... but it's not totally out of the question.
 

jakeseven7

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
7,745
Solutions
2
Points
1,145
justinbrett said:
Only issue I can see with Star Alliance is competition with Air New Zeland on the trans-tasman routes. (would they be allowed to operate codeshares after the same deal was denied with QF). I would also assume they will also want to continue the codeshare deal with united on the US routes (but I guess they could do it like QF/BA do on the SIN/LHR routes).

Perhaps Skyteam might be an alternative option?

You'd think either one would be glad to have an Australian carrier - especially star alliance as nothing has filled the ansett void (and thus I assume Australian business has dropped significantly).

Hmm I can't honestly see trans tasman as an issue - I mean have you seen the state of Pacific Blue's schedule....?!

This big announcement better be huge lol all the anticipation... where is crazydave when you need him?!

star alliance and j all the way :cool:
 

stuartfaz

Active Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
526
Points
230
danielribo said:
I don't know how big an issue it would be with NZ on trans-Tasmans, but I'd imagine there are a few Star routes where two airlines are up against each other (UA & US probably).

You'd think that there'd be as much an issue with NZ/DJ as there would be with UA/DJ on AUS-USA routes. Star's dealt with multiple carriers on the same route plenty of times in their history, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Plus Pacific Blue's schedule, as stated by jakeseven7, is nothing to be feared by someone like NZ.

jakeseven7 said:
This big announcement better be huge lol all the anticipation

I can see it now...'Virgin Blue are proud to announce they will be adding 2 extra services from Melbourne to Canberra and Launceston' :p
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
19,314
Solutions
6
Points
1,440
stuartfaz said:
You'd think that there'd be as much an issue with NZ/DJ as there would be with UA/DJ on AUS-USA routes. Star's dealt with multiple carriers on the same route plenty of times in their history, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Plus Pacific Blue's schedule, as stated by jakeseven7, is nothing to be feared by someone like NZ.



I can see it now...'Virgin Blue are proud to announce they will be adding 2 extra services from Melbourne to Canberra and Launceston' :p

Well, the Virgin group do like to talk things up!
 
Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

StevePER

Established Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
1,145
Points
370
I am not expecting to be excited about the changes, whatever they are. And it wouldn't take much to get me excited - a lounge in Perth would be a good start. But hopefully I'm wrong and I'll have some sort of Star Alliance status at the end of the month.

Steve
 

crazydave98

Active Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Messages
602
Points
0
jakeseven7 said:
Hmm I can't honestly see trans tasman as an issue - I mean have you seen the state of Pacific Blue's schedule....?!

This big announcement better be huge lol all the anticipation... where is crazydave when you need him?!

watching and trying not to laugh.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,524
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
crazydave98 said:
watching and trying not to laugh.
And you have got to love the speculation :mrgreen: .

How about some of these to add to the humour?
  • Ordering 20 more 777s for services to Europe, South Africa and South America
  • Starting a new global alliance to compete with OW, *A and SkyT, with initial members being Aeroflot, Garuda, Kenya Airlines and Royal Congo Airways
  • Employing Margaret Jackson to run DJ domestic operation to allow Brett to concentrate on international expansion
  • A new paint scheme for all DJ aircraft, based on high-visibility yellow as seen on ramp staff jackets
  • Removal of 20% of seats from all DJ aircraft to increase seat pitch to 40 inches
  • Moving all fuel surcharges into base fare calculations

Or perhaps something as dramatic as announcing the name for the new Trans-Pacific operations?
 

kamchatsky

Established Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
3,175
Points
720
NM said:
And you have got to love the speculation :mrgreen: .

How about some of these to add to the humour?
  • Ordering 20 more 777s for services to Europe, South Africa and South America
  • Starting a new global alliance to compete with OW, *A and SkyT, with initial members being Aeroflot, Garuda, Kenya Airlines and Royal Congo Airways
  • Employing Margaret Jackson to run DJ domestic operation to allow Brett to concentrate on international expansion
  • A new paint scheme for all DJ aircraft, based on high-visibility yellow as seen on ramp staff jackets
  • Removal of 20% of seats from all DJ aircraft to increase seat pitch to 40 inches
  • Moving all fuel surcharges into base fare calculations
Or perhaps something as dramatic as announcing the name for the new Trans-Pacific operations?

Another rumour:

- Virgin Blue/Pacific Blue/That new AU-US Airline will combine to form Virgin Pacific.
- Virgin Pacific will join *A.

But yes, I would love to see DJ joining *A, much more over SkyTeam.
Maybe we need to send a massive petition every week to Brett Godfrey to convince DJ to join *A.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top