ANZ frequent flyer black card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdonahue

Applied for this card as it offered 120k QFF points and a heap of status credits. I'm self employed so they initially required the latest tax return but as this hasn't been finalised yet, I put the ANZ bank people in touch with my accountant (much longer story here cut short!). Heard soon afterwards I heard that my application had been denied. Now, I'm only giving the following details to show how ridiculous ANZ bank's assessment methods must be. I have a gross income of over $700k pa, I have mortgage interest payments of about $55k pa (tax deductible), car loan repayments of about $15k pa (mostly business expenses so part deductible) and credit cards with a max credit of about $50k but zero outstanding balance and no other loans or debts. I simply cannot understand how the ANZ bank assessment system could come to the conclusion I could not afford their card! If I can't afford their card, very few people would be able to. I am considering a formal complaint, including to the financial services ombudsman.

Anyone else had ANZ bank card application problems?

In my experience, as someone who is self-employed ANZ will automatically deny your application unless you send your latest tax assessment notice (or something like this). It sounds to me like you did not provide this, therefore they declined?

No, I did not supply my 2018 NOA as my 2018 return hasn't been submitted however I spoke to a credit card application staff member and then their supervisor. I was advised that the need for the 2018 return and NOA could be avoided by authorising the ANZ bank staff to contact my accountant directly which I did. They contacted my accountant who gave them the numbers in my post and then the application was rejected without any proper explanation.

Having no idea what the assessment procedure and thresholds are, I would not be surprised if they summed up your loans (presuming $1M+ based on the data in the text) and the system said no, regardless how well you can actually service them.

Maybe but the result is not good for either ANZ or me - pretty dumb business practice

Even if there is no affordability issue, even with the cards max'd out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back