ANZ frequent flyer black card | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

ANZ frequent flyer black card

pdonahue

Applied for this card as it offered 120k QFF points and a heap of status credits. I'm self employed so they initially required the latest tax return but as this hasn't been finalised yet, I put the ANZ bank people in touch with my accountant (much longer story here cut short!). Heard soon afterwards I heard that my application had been denied. Now, I'm only giving the following details to show how ridiculous ANZ bank's assessment methods must be. I have a gross income of over $700k pa, I have mortgage interest payments of about $55k pa (tax deductible), car loan repayments of about $15k pa (mostly business expenses so part deductible) and credit cards with a max credit of about $50k but zero outstanding balance and no other loans or debts. I simply cannot understand how the ANZ bank assessment system could come to the conclusion I could not afford their card! If I can't afford their card, very few people would be able to. I am considering a formal complaint, including to the financial services ombudsman.

Anyone else had ANZ bank card application problems?

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
In my experience, as someone who is self-employed ANZ will automatically deny your application unless you send your latest tax assessment notice (or something like this). It sounds to me like you did not provide this, therefore they declined?

pdonahue

No, I did not supply my 2018 NOA as my 2018 return hasn't been submitted however I spoke to a credit card application staff member and then their supervisor. I was advised that the need for the 2018 return and NOA could be avoided by authorising the ANZ bank staff to contact my accountant directly which I did. They contacted my accountant who gave them the numbers in my post and then the application was rejected without any proper explanation.

tdimdad

Having no idea what the assessment procedure and thresholds are, I would not be surprised if they summed up your loans (presuming $1M+ based on the data in the text) and the system said no, regardless how well you can actually service them.

pdonahue

Maybe but the result is not good for either ANZ or me - pretty dumb business practice

Spongbob

AFF Supporter
Your existing credit card limits could be a problem.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJP1961