ANZ FF VISA Platinum card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mansai

Hi,

I have just been offered a Platinum card as a free upgrade from my Gold card.

Is this a new card? I have not come across it before.

For more details http://www.anz.com/platinum

It still has the limitations with regards to earning FF points associated with the Classic/Gold card though.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers

Colin

ANZ simply don't have a competitive product for high points earners. Doesn't matter what they do to their credit cards, they will always remain non competitive until the points earning limits are removed or raised.

one9 said:
ANZ simply don't have a competitive product for high points earners. Doesn't matter what they do to their credit cards, they will always remain non competitive until the points earning limits are removed or raised.

I had the same offer (and they rang me to confirm .. while I was in Hong Kong, so I get the pleasure of a $5 airtime bill for their advertising .. grrrrrr). Anyway, I basically asked if the points cap was still there, was told yes, and thanked them for reminding me to cancel my ANZ cards (which takles away the last reason for me to keep doing my banking with ANZ, but that's another story).

I'm using an Amex rewards Maximiser now, so I can tranfer to QFF or VA schemes, and I get 1.5 per dollar, no caps. Why would you use the ANZ platinum? I have a Citibank Mastercard as the backup for all the non-Amex merchants.

I got the same card too.

While it feels fancy and has some benefits (warranty x 2) I will jump ship the moment they try and up the annual fee on me which at the moment "is not expected to change".

ha! Lets see how long before that policy change.

You also get inbuilt travel insurance if you spend a minimum of $250 on the card for accommodation/airfare prior to departure.

I took the free upgrade, but will also ditch it if they try to put the annual fee up. Most points I collect with Amex, but have a Visa as back up as a lot of places don't accept Amex. If you have the gold card anyway you might as well take the free upgrade.

I've just been offered it as well, so I thought I should check here to see what others have said. This is my 2nd card for personal expenses only (behind my Amex), so I'm not that worried as like others, I tend to spend no more than $2,500 per month to maximise my points earning ratio and at least continue to build my QFF points balance.

Just can't understand the management decision to cap the card. They should see how much spend Amex has got from my wife...:eek:

I also had this offer, and took it up. At no extra cost (at least in the first year) and some free travel insurance for my domestic trips, so why not? I usually spend less than the cap, so no big deal.

But I have to agree, Lindsay . they just don't get it. I like ANZ for my other banking, but that ones is weird. I spend a fortune on my Amex. Have to check out the new one.
If they put the card price up next year, then I'll just drop back to my gold .. or drop my VISA altogether and get a Citibank as my 2nd card.

Mind you .. the one thing against taking up the offer is sorting out your direct debits (though it was time to get off my rear and move them to Amex anyway).

Yes, ANZ Visa they have lost $117K in spending since I switched the majority of my spending to my Amex Plat. Add to that the use of my CB Plat card for any merchant that won't take Amex at about $45K...they need to up their ante by giving back the 1:1 earning, perhaps up to the CB limit (I think it's $120K per year).

However, if they are happy to accept their $25K (and I pay on time so not the best client for them), they are welcome to it.

Having cancelled my ANZ card about a month ago, I guess I won't get this offer. When asked why I was cancelling I mentioned the points cap and as OzFlipper said 'they just don't get it' :shock: :evil:

ANZ are now making the Platinum upgrede offer to holders of the (blue) Frequent Flyer Visa.

I have returned the acceptance form but the new card hasn't turned up yet. It will be interesting to see if the points cap on this new card remains the same as the old one (1 point/$ first 1.5k, 0.5 point/$ 1.5k to 2.5k) or perhaps goes to the (still not good) Gold card level.

My spending on the card is usually less than $1.5k/month so the cap has not been a problem (Amex gets the big spends).

I went from "Blue" to "Platinum" with this offer back in March.

The new cards arrived < 1 week after replying. The points caps remain the same as it was for Blue (1500pm @1:1, 3500pm @1:2) and so do the annual fees(s).

You do get the built in insurance and a silvery card.

serfty said:
I went from "Blue" to "Platinum" with this offer back in March.

The new cards arrived < 1 week after replying. The points caps remain the same as it was for Blue (1500pm @1:1, 3500pm @1:2) and so do the annual fees(s).

You do get the built in insurance and a silvery card.

Even the offer letter took > 1 week from the date on the letter to get to me. With a surname that is almost at the end of the alphabet, I'm used to things taking a while.

(OT) Because of the alphabet thing I wouldn't ever bet on getting an airline op-up, all other factors being equal :( (though our son got one from very deeply discounted economy to J on an NZ flight LAX-SYD a few years ago).

Why DO they cap the points? Surely the more you spend, the more % they make. If anything, they should have a points floor limit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back