ANZ card poll

If you are going to / or have CLOSED your Qantas ANZ Visa card...... then vote YES. If you intend

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick93

Established Member
I thought I'd post a 'poll' on this BB site, to see how many of us HAVE, or are THINKING of leaving ANZ and their eroded 'rewards' scheme.... which was ONCE voted as the best in the country!

regards,

anz card closures

Keep in mind proper closure procedures.
a. Just before anniversary date ,( annual fee date).
b. Redeem all reward points prior to closure
c. Balance transfer to other card for reward points if possible.

anz qfvisa

I am keeping my ANZ QF visa for now, but with limited spending patterns of course.

Could someone who has cancelled their card confirm the proceedure for doing so? Do they send forms out or is it something that is done entirely over the phone.

If they send something out to sign I thought it might be worth a call to 'cancel'... and take advantage of whatever is offered to you to stay on as a customer. (lower interest rate? no annual fee?)

would this work?

1) be aware of your anniversary date. I dumped the QFF card a year or so ago when they first introduced fees, dropping to the Telstra card, which I avoided fees by spending over $2400/yr! Hence I never paid an annual fee, so had to call them, and was told that the next year's fee was about to be charged at the end of that week! Didn't leave me with much time to make the arrangements... try to do it with about a month to spare if you can.

2) I rang up the rewards centre, cashed out my rewards in Myer vouchers (Telstra visa, not QFF visa remember). Unfortunately, the previous week I'd bought an air-cond from Retravision and saw the bonus points sign in store, as this was before I decided to shut the card down, put that on the visa...but as they only credit you with the points every 3 months, I'll miss out on any points for that transaction.

3) I then went into the bank to shut the card down. They told me I had to go to the phone in the corner of the bank and do it from there! After being hung up on 3 times I went back to the teller and they rang up the cards centre and got it closed. Made sure I told them that the fees increase was why I shut the card down. As it was close to the Fee anniversary time, I didn't have time to transfer the balance to another card, I just paid it off there in the branch.

I doubt that they'll offer any incentives to stay at this time... in 6 months time if there numbers have dropped they might start the mailouts, but it is likely the people closing their accounts are the ones that cost them money... ie pay off their balances in full, rack up lots of points etc. I have my home loan with ANZ, but that's the only interest payments I ever make to them. My value to them as a credit card customer is nil. Luckily through a professional association I am a member of, I can get a fee-free Commonwealth Gold Visa. Hopefully it will arrive soon... life with only an Amex can get tricky... have to start carrying cash around!

I asked ANZ what I needed to do to cancel my card. I was told I should probably wait until the anniversary date considering I had paid the fees (nice thought from them) but then all I had to do was phone them to cancel.

As I have until end March 2004, I'll stop using the card a month before, then cancel. Of course in the meantime I'll only use it for bonus points or where I can't use AMEX.

My biggest complaint with ANZ is that they will not refund a proportion of fees for those who want to cancel immediately. After all we faced a HUGE fee increase and now a HUGE reduction in rewards. Maybe they hope people will grow complacent over time but this might just backfire. It won't matter what they offer me in February. By then I will have organised another VISA and re-organised all my direct debits. I don't think the bank will realise the impact until all the cards reach anniversary dates.

OK, so far, everyone seems like they're leaving ANZ!

I rang them, and a guy (in a call centre in India???) told me, that there is a rebate of GOLD card fees if you cancel. But.... only if you cancel the card YOURSELF.... that is, you won't get the rebate if you get another bank to cancel for you (to get the bonus points).

Well, I didn't get any offers (but then I don't anywhere else either!)....

SO I'm still 'shopping' for a new card..... hell! I've been through more credit cards than Liz Taylor has husbands!!!! (or Michael Jackson has..... no, I better not go there).....

Doh!

Gordon said:
I rang them, and a guy (in a call centre in India???) told me, that there is a rebate of GOLD card fees if you cancel. But.... only if you cancel the card YOURSELF.... that is, you won't get the rebate if you get another bank to cancel for you (to get the bonus points).

bonus points??? other banks cancelling your cards?? explain!!

d00t said:
Gordon said:

bonus points??? other banks cancelling your cards?? explain!!

It's in other threads but basically it's like Citibank Visa Platinum (I did this to go from AMEX)....
Have them transfer the points, double them and cancel the other card. You do this in the application process and it's usually their bonus offer to get you there in the first place. :D Never looked back.

Yes, that's right.... Citibank PREVIOUSLY offered TWO points per dollar transferred from another card..... but I now notice, in the last few weeks sometime, that they have since altered their website statement. Citibank now only offer ONE point per dollar transferred.... even if you're CLOSING your other account!
So far, I haven't found another offer on the net, anywhere, that continues to offer TWO points per dollar etc. etc.

Anybody seen any OUTSTANDING offers lately????

regards,

Gordon said:
Yes, that's right.... Citibank PREVIOUSLY offered TWO points per dollar transferred from another card..... but I now notice, in the last few weeks sometime, that they have since altered their website statement. Citibank now only offer ONE point per dollar transferred.... even if you're CLOSING your other account!
So far, I haven't found another offer on the net, anywhere, that continues to offer TWO points per dollar etc. etc.

Anybody seen any OUTSTANDING offers lately????

regards,

The citibank offer sure is good, and I would really love to cancel my ANZ gold card in a few months and move to citibank with this offer.

Is there a way to ensure your application is accepted? Does anyone have any tips? Credit applications are impossible for me since I am self employed, even though cash flow is never a problem.

Citibank have some robots doing credit approvals. They are trained not to listen or reason out. I still have issues with an application for a Platinum app. i complained to the quality director who was quite efficient but in the end again it got stuck with the Credit guys. As a result, I have a Citibank gold which I have not activated yet as I am happy with my fee-free westpac altitude gol

Dalen said:
I was told I should probably wait until the anniversary date considering I had paid the fees ......

My biggest complaint with ANZ is that they will not refund a proportion of fees for those who want to cancel immediately

Had an interesting response from ANZ yesterday.

Rang to ask if they would refund my Gold & additional card fees pro-rata if I cancelled 6 months before anniversary. They wanted to know Customer Number and enquiry password. I asked why they needed that when I only wanted to know their policy in the matter - was told it was so they could "see if there were any special circumstances on my acount".

Then transferred to another operator who said "Yes, I would refund the fees". OK, she would refund the fees, but is is bank policy? "No" was the reply!

I was asked when I planned to close the card (end of the year after new card arranged and direct debits transferred). Also asked if I had received the Diners card offer (I think so but wouldn't have paid much attention - Diners not accepted widely enough).

Operator then confirmed she had made a note on "the system" that a refund on fees was offered so that when the time comes I'll get the $$$ back.

Seems strange that other customers have been told no fees would be refunded. Maybe I'm of no value to ANZ (pay off the balance every month, never paid interest) so they're not going to try and keep me....

They used to refund fees, I had mine refunded when I switched from the Qantas Visa to a Telstra Visa. I then had them refunded again about 6 months later when I complained about a completely different matter! Don't know why, but when you are complaining about a couple of dollar fee and they refund you $50, you don't ask questions!

Definitely cancelling ANZ Card

I for one will definitely be cancelling my ANZ Qantas Gold Card due to the harsh and unnecessary changes they have made to everyone's card except - no doubt - John McFarlane's card and other senior staff at the bank. I have already arranged a new Woolworths Ezy Bank Mastercard to continue earning QF points. Much cheaper and there's still some bonus points by shopping at Woolworths group stores, which I do anyway. It is not a Gold card and does not have the same credit limit as I had at ANZ but it doesn't matter. I don't need prestige or trappings, I just want frequent flyer points to enjoy travelling. I still have my Gold Amex to flash when I want to impress! ANZ will eventually lose all my banking business as I find more responsive and service aware alternatives. Pity John McFarlane, a tightfisted Scotsman personsified, doesn't understand that we customers pay his exhorbitant and totally unnecessary salary.

ANZ ------> Citibank

I have recently changed from ANZ to Citibank with no problems (fingers crossed). It was all done quickly and smoothly (so far).

The offer of double points for balance transfers still applies and is still advertised on the Citibank website -

Earn Bonus Rewards points on Balance Transfers
Earn 1 Rewards point for every $1 transferred
Earn double Rewards points when you close your non-Citibank account

It was too good a deal to pass up, plus I get to earn 1 point per dollar, as it should be!

Hasta la vista ANZ..!

The Pope said:
They used to refund fees, I had mine refunded when I switched from the Qantas Visa to a Telstra Visa. I then had them refunded again about 6 months later when I complained about a completely different matter! Don't know why, but when you are complaining about a couple of dollar fee and they refund you $50, you don't ask questions!

I have also been really lucky. I have complained and the Bank refunded they the fees twice! 2 years in a row!

I'm not telling them as a result of their stuff ups...... :eek:

And did anyone see TT (Today Tonight) yesterday (12/Nov/03) ? There was a little bit about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back