Anyone smuggling Vegemite? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Anyone smuggling Vegemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
This from the people that put cinnamon sugar on french toast and eat salad between courses....
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
simongr said:
This from the people that put cinnamon sugar on french toast and eat salad between courses....
The traditional etiquette is that salad is a course on its own and should come after the meat course

Soup
Fish course
sorbet
meat course
salad
desert
cheese

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Australians should retaliate by banning the importation of Budweiser :p .
 

Gazza

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
122
Look

You have already tricked them into thinking Fosters is a beer, isn’t that enough

Gazza
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
783
they are a peculiar lot ...

i 'smuggled' some over recently during the liquids/gels/ointments etc ban ... my american friends were very grateful.
 

beardoc

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
1,632
Flights
My Map
I regularly took Vegemite to the USA.

I wonder exactly why, as they refer to in the news story, that only breads and cereals may be fortified with folic acid? Why not anything else?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
beardoc said:
I regularly took Vegemite to the USA.

I wonder exactly why, as they refer to in the news story, that only breads and cereals may be fortified with folic acid? Why not anything else?
It probably has something to do with the strength of the lobby groups supporting the grain and bread industries. Folate is known to have positive health benefits for pregnant women (and their developing babies), so many women will specifically seek products that include Folic Acid. If the grain and bread industries can maintain a monopoly on the addition of Folate, then they benefit greatly from the sale of such products.
 

Groundfeeder

Active Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
651
You have already tricked them into thinking Fosters is a beer, isn’t that enough
I thought Vegemite was the black stuff they scraped off the insole of blokes thongs. Is this ban going to extend to having to de-thong going thru security??
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
NM said:
It probably has something to do with the strength of the lobby groups supporting the grain and bread industries. Folate is known to have positive health benefits for pregnant women (and their developing babies), so many women will specifically seek products that include Folic Acid. If the grain and bread industries can maintain a monopoly on the addition of Folate, then they benefit greatly from the sale of such products.
I am guessing therefore that they havent banned Vegemite per se - just anything that is folate enhanced?
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
simongr said:
I am guessing therefore that they havent banned Vegemite per se - just anything that is folate enhanced?
Indeed. but for tabloid journalism, a non headline statement that food products containing Folic acid are banned wouldn't be the sort of article to write

Dave
 

robertz

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
134
bigjobs said:
they are a peculiar lot ...

i 'smuggled' some over recently during the liquids/gels/ointments etc ban ... my american friends were very grateful.
No need to smuggle this illicit item into the US. We could buy Vegemite in our local Farmers Market type of store. Althought they only had the 100g version, it was a nice taste of home everytime we saw it on the shelf.

Rob
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,266
Flights
My Map
And there is now even an online petition available:

We Are Not Happy Little Vegemites!


Hmmm. (I don't endorse that site of course ... no idea what/who is behind it).

I have a suspicion this has been blown out of proportion. Still investigating though.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
A few months ago for an activity for an event my kids were involved with, we put together a Mythbusters night. One of the myths were investigated was that Vegemite is not food - its axle grease or boot polish. We had kids testing which worked better as a lubricant for roller skates (sorry Cabbage74 - you would not have likes to watch that!), and polishing old boots with Vegemite.

So I wonder if I can get away with smuggling my Vegemite into the LOTFAP in a Kiwi Boot Polish tin?

In the end we found the axle grease theory was plausible, while the boot polish characteristic was confirmed. We found a whole new reason for kids to take Vegemite sandwiches to school - they can come in handy just before parade/assembly if your shoes do not have quite the shine they need to pass inspection :shock: .
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
You know as a side bar to this discussion for a while I couldnt figure out what LOTFAP meant - and I made up my own definition - Land Of The Fat American People - kind of works in this discussion.

@Tiki For me French toast is a savoury dish filled with herbs and pepper and salt with bacon - I just dont understand sweetening it.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
Mal said:
I have a suspicion this has been blown out of proportion. Still investigating though.
I really am not up on US law, but would not be surprised if somewhere someone interpreted the law in new way. Sort of if the law says fortify grains/bread then that means you can't fortify anything else.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
@Tiki For me French toast is a savoury dish filled with herbs and pepper and salt with bacon - I just dont understand sweetening it.
In our house, french toast is usually covered with Golden Syrup.
 

cabbage74

Intern
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
91
NM said:
A few months ago for an activity for an event my kids were involved with, we put together a Mythbusters night. One of the myths were investigated was that Vegemite is not food - its axle grease or boot polish. We had kids testing which worked better as a lubricant for roller skates (sorry Cabbage74 - you would not have likes to watch that!), and polishing old boots with Vegemite.
Hehe, sounds like a good night. I love Mythbusters. It really wouldn't worry me using vegemite on skates, unless of course they were mine.

Mal.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
cabbage74 said:
Hehe, sounds like a good night. I love Mythbusters. It really wouldn't worry me using Vegemite on skates, unless of course they were mine.

Mal.
Well I was going to use mine, but they have fully enclosed bearings. So it just happened that Mrs NM's skates have the half-open bearings so they got the Vegemite treatment and mine were used as the "control" set for comparison purposes.

Now that reminds me, I really should clean them up :shock: .

We also did the Mentos and Coke experiment, which was a great hit with the kids. As well as testing myths about things that float and sink (like a can of Coke vs Diet Coke, frozen vs thawed oranges etc), and testing if you can stick a needle into an inflated balloon without it bursting. All great fun indeed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,624
Messages
1,885,266
Members
49,510
Latest member
kctt
Top