Any downsides on the Diner's Club Lounge access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troels

Intern
Having lost my Gold status at Virgin I spotted the article on the front page of the site today which mentioned Diner's Club as a way to gain lounge access.

I've checked up the list of lounges and it seems pretty good (more than 850 at present?). I have no interest in claiming rewards as I am all in with Virgin right now. Anyway, $150 seems a good deal for what you get. Any downsides I should be aware of before I sign up?

I don't think I've used any of the lounges listed in the app - are they substandard or the same kind of thing as Virgin, Qantas etc? To be fair, Virgin's lounges aren't anything to write home about but it's nice to have access to a lounge.

I travel overseas on holiday 3 or 4 times a year, and domestically probably about the same or more, so would make good use.

I didn't think there were any domestic lounges included? Also, I thought DC cost more than $150/annum.

If you're happy with the list of lounges and fee for that though, the only downside that comes to mind is there may be time limits at some lounges. Actual lounge fitout/quality varies on the lounge as they're mostly private operators so subject to their own personal and local market considerations.

I didn't think there were any domestic lounges included? Also, I thought DC cost more than $150/annum.

For Melbourne it lists Plaza Premium in T2 and REX Lounge in T4. The REX lounge is listed as Domestic on the Diner's club app. Plaza Premium is international.

Also you can get the Qantas Frequent Flyer Diner's card for $95 + $55 "Rewards Fee". This is without the companion Mastercard (which costs more).

If you're mostly travelling domestic with Virgin, it might be better to go for a Virgin Lounge membership as the Diners Club card only gets you access to the REX lounges in SYD, MEL and ADL (which aren't anything special) for domestic flights. That said, it can be a good option for overseas travel if you're flying out of airports where lounges are available. The list of lounge options is similar to Priority Pass (although Priority Pass does have a few more partner lounges than Diners Club, and also has various restaurant partners).

The quality of lounges is variable - some are quite good, others are ordinary. But for $150/year it's a pretty good deal IMHO.

I have had a Diners Club card for nearly 30 years and have been grandfathered fee free for life :) I have used many, many DC lounges esp OS for free and they have ranged from average to above average :) Now I see Adl, Syd, and Mel have Rex lounges that I can access. Also all my fee free supplementary card holders can access the lounges for free as well. I have 4 supps ;)

Problem i find is not many places actually accept Diners Club as a payment method, I havent really been able to use many in many at all and even where i can, it seems my Amex gives me back more rewards than my diners but this one might be better for the rewards.

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go for it.

Problem i find is not many places actually accept Diners Club as a payment method,

Yeah but not a concern for me

If you're mostly travelling domestic with Virgin, it might be better to go for a Virgin Lounge membership

As I said, I do both domestic and international. I think Virgin membership is way more than $150 too (joining fee + yearly sub). I also get 2 x free Virgin (domestic) passes per year with my ANZ CC.

I think Priority Pass is also quite a bit more. $150 for 850 or so lounges seems a good compromise.

There is a pretty big overlap with Priority Pass. Some have a limited number of drinks policy
On average I've found them less good than a typical legacy airline J lounge though can sometimes surprise you.
I too am not paying an annual fee for myself or supps. Mstr andye1 found it very useful for his multistop Y Star Alliance Eurotour last year

Sounds like a good deal with DC. @andye, is that a free for life offer? I don’t want to cancel mine so usually call once a year and either get it waived or settle for half price annual fee. Would be good if there was a more permanent way to get a waiver. I’m firmly in the Amex camp but want to keep DC option open should I need it down the track without an application.

Where do I find out more about the list of lounges? I have some travel planned for next week and for Europe later this year and some of the airports don’t have a PP lounge so this may fit the bill.

Sounds like a good deal with DC. @andye, is that a free for life offer? I don’t want to cancel mine so usually call once a year and either get it waived or settle for half price annual fee. Would be good if there was a more permanent way to get a waiver. I’m firmly in the Amex camp but want to keep DC option open should I need it down the track without an application.

Where do I find out more about the list of lounges? I have some travel planned for next week and for Europe later this year and some of the airports don’t have a PP lounge so this may fit the bill.

It's an annual call up and they specifically said cant guarantee next year.
The lists by the OP are good and many can be cross -referenced with PP info

Thanks @andye. Found a lounge in Japan for my upcomging trip. I’ve used google chrome translate. Seems to be talking about vouchers. Does anyone have any experience with DC and Japan lounge access?

ive used it in BNE. you can order a free beer while at the same lounge PP holders doesnt include alcohol lol. its the only reason i have the no annual fee liqourland /coles business card. i just need to remember to keep it activate by doing a transaction every 6 months or Citibank will try and close it. Would love to get two more supplementary cards for the kids who are under 18. Any one know if they allow you to have two supplementary cards in the same name or just request a new extra card with printed initials and family name so that they match the boarding passes of the kids for free entry?

Does anyone have any experience with DC and Japan lounge access?

Showed my newish Citibank DC at the Sky Lounge in HND last night and the agent had to check eligibility against a list of global cards by country. I was pleasantly surprised that it did give me free access but only went in for a quick look before heading to the JL First Class lounge...

AIRwin ref newish Citibank DC" do you mean the companion card linked to the citibank visa credit card worked or was it a DC intl charge card issued by citibank? also did they swipe the card? keep an eye on your next statement and let us know if you see any lounge fee?

AIRwin ref newish Citibank DC" do you mean the companion card linked to the citibank visa credit card worked or was it a DC intl charge card issued by citibank? also did they swipe the card? keep an eye on your next statement and let us know if you see any lounge fee?

I'm referring to the companion card. Yes they swiped the card but didn't mention any fee. I saw the eligibility list and it indicated free for Australia, so I'll definitely check my next statement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back