Annual fee [waived when 'threatening' to cancel?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

akky

Intern
Hi anyone had any luck getting full refund of the annual fee when threatening to cancel the card.

Hi anyone had any luck getting full refund of the annual fee when threatening to cancel the card.

Yes. I rang to cancel back in March and they waived the fee.

I wasn't threatening to cancel, I wanted to cancel.

+1 rang earlier in year to cancel....annual fee waived to keep her custom. She then asked whether the annual fee could be waived for life:p...was told to ring back next year!

Yes, every year. Does anyone pay this fee ?
Same with me, I regularly ring up every year to cancel and they persuade me to keep by waiving the fee. Of course I legitimately dont really have that much use for the card preferring to send points to SQ.

yes, call and say "I'd like to get my payout figure" (whether you owe money or not), and you'll get put through to the right department with little effort.

I took this card out when it was first launched and near the end of the 1st year called up and threatened to cancel but they wouldn't waive the fee... I probably only put $10,000 or so through the card as i put most of my purchases/bills etc through my 1.5 point ANZ amex... So it might depend on how much you spend on it as to how much they want to keep you, or else maybe they have lightened up after maybe lots of people cancelled at the end of the first year...

Yes, only did it last month or so...

Wait, theres more......

Decided to get another card only last week or so, which has now been used...

Canceled my original card, and they put the balance onto the lastest card...

1) pro rata refund (seems the full amount NOT charged ;) )
2) credit balance of other card.

Same bank, same card, but brand new account/bonus points.

Yes, only did it last month or so...

Wait, theres more......

Decided to get another card only last week or so, which has now been used...

Canceled my original card, and they put the balance onto the lastest card...

1) pro rata refund (seems the full amount NOT charged ;) )
2) credit balance of other card.

Same bank, same card, but brand new account/bonus points.
Now that you have to love!

Received my statement last Friday showing the Annual Fee

Rang up today and asked to cancel the card, citing Annual Fee.

No Fee waiver offered, so I cancelled it.

May reapply in a couple of months and get the 16,000 QFF points.

Probably only put about $5k and $10K Tax on it last year.

Move On.

Move On.

Did they refund the annual fee to you?

Move On.

Hmmm. Same situation with me - noticed the fee, remembered the nice girl last year told me to call back this year to get it waived again....

Called up, mentioned I wanted to discuss the fee - but did not threaten to cancel - and was told (without asking) they can only waive it once a year, and that I'd need to call back on 19th December as I had already had it waived on the 18th December last year (seriously!).

So I asked if they could call me back, and they said yes - and took my contact number. I shall await their call.

FWIW I have never paid the annual fee on that card yet.

Have paid this fee for past two years!! Will ring this time and cancel if fee waiver not offered.
That'll still leave me with 12 cards, so plenty of points opps still available

Okay, just to follow up on this: I did indeed get a call from HSBC customer service today (Phillipines, I am guessing?), and a credit was issued for my annual fee for the third year running without hesitation, and the promise that it would be done so again next year...

Considering I'd forgotten about it already, I was rather impressed they chased it up.

Two thumbs up from me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back