Amex Velocity Plat. free flight post anniversary date

Status
Not open for further replies.

boffman

Intern
Hi,
I just called up, one week after my anniversary date and attempted to book 2 x free domestic flights. Was told no way. The flight expires the day prior to roll over and there is no grace period. But I've read reports elsewhere of there being a grace period. Maybe that's with Plat. Edge?
Anyone manage to pull this off?
Cheers.

In previous years I would always book my annual flight as 2 flights slightly after my anniversary date so that I could get 2 flights together. This was with the AMEX edge. I don't think it was a case of pulling it off either as it was often suggested by the staff.

Recent experience follows yours as my anniversary date was mixed up and i was denied the flight.

In the past there was always the 2 weeks grace period when you could book it, and it did as recent as January this year. However things might have changed by now.

I've got the Velocity Platinum Amex. I called up to redeem my free flight and was told that I was 3 days over the 12 month period and that Velocity wouldn't let them book my free flight. I argued that although my account was opened on the milestone date, I didn't actually have the card until 3 days later. I asked if there was a grace period and they were very firm that there was nothing they could do. Seems different to what other people said.

I then asked to escalate the problem and was put onto a Card Satisfaction team. They said that Velocity were very strict about using the free flight within the 12 month window and that their terms and conditions didn't allow them to book outside this period. I asked about cancelling the card and she quickly offered me 23,000 points as a one off incentive to stay. Moral of the story - book your free flight early on and don't leave it to the last minute!!

Well none of this mirrors my experience.

In early December last year, I redeemed a flight for Plat Edge that has an anniversary date of late October, so ~ 7 weeks grace for me.

I do recall having a discussion at the time and the CSR had to check with her supervisor but it was all OK'd.

Sounds like there's been a "crackdown". I've now put reminders for card anniversaries in my calendar.

I booked 2 return flights to NZ the day after my anniversary date but that was with AMEX Platinum Reserve. I did call before the anniversary date to confirm that was possible and I was told I could do it within a 2 weeks "grace period" after the anniversary date.

Bottom line, best to call in advance and confirm if a grace period is granted as this is definitely not covered by the T&Cs - even for Platinum Reserve!

I just had a chat with Amex about this and they are quite clear that the card types are treated differently with no grace period on the Velocity Platinum AMEX but there is still flexibility for the Edge and Reserve cards. This also means no opportunity to combine 2 years of flights into one booking.

Pure speculation, but the strictness here may have something to do with who is footing the bill for the flight.

Hi,
I just called up, one week after my anniversary date and attempted to book 2 x free domestic flights. Was told no way. The flight expires the day prior to roll over and there is no grace period. But I've read reports elsewhere of there being a grace period. Maybe that's with Plat. Edge?
Cheers.

I've only done this with the Platinum Edge but I made sure I called before the anniversary date to check that it was okay to do this. They agreed and made a note on file so there was no issues.

You can't assume any grace period with these things, which should be considered more as an unexpected bonus rather than an entitlement. Unwritten policies are also subject to the whims of the person on the other end of the line who may not want to be so accommodating.

Well none of this mirrors my experience.

In early December last year, I redeemed a flight for Plat Edge that has an anniversary date of late October, so ~ 7 weeks grace for me.

I do recall having a discussion at the time and the CSR had to check with her supervisor but it was all OK'd.

Sounds like there's been a "crackdown". I've now put reminders for card anniversaries in my calendar.

I did exactly the same thing at about the same time! I did have to call a couple of times to get someone willing to do it, as the first person refused.

I just had a chat with Amex about this and they are quite clear that the card types are treated differently with no grace period on the Velocity Platinum AMEX but there is still flexibility for the Edge and Reserve cards. This also means no opportunity to combine 2 years of flights into one booking.

Pure speculation, but the strictness here may have something to do with who is footing the bill for the flight.

Spot on, AMEX will look after their own on their labelled cards, but Velocity will avoid any unnecessary costs outside the rules.

My experience with the Edge was that they allowed a 4 week grace period. Seems different to the Velocity card based on the reports.

Another case of no grace for Velocity Platinum here. I was told that the flight has to be booked before the anniversary date, otherwise is forfeitedThe agents words when i asked about a grace period, were "unfortunately theres no grace for Velocity Platinum, sorry". Thats sucks, since I am only a few days off and wasn't really sure about the exact day. Definitely marking it on the calendar.

Hi,
Cheers.

Edge and Velocity cards are treated very differently.

With Velocity there is no grace period. You have to book prior to year finishing.
With Edge you have a 2 week grace period which allows one to book 2 tickets from two years at once. I have done this since inception.

Anyone know if you can call the Edge number to book a Velocity Platinum flight? Could this be a potential way to get around the strict date?

I would think it all ends up at the same travel team.

I think it may be the same team but the open hours are different. The 'team' to book the Velocity Platinum Amex free flight is only available Monday to Friday while the Edge and Platinum team are available 7 days (until 4pm Saturday and Sunday).

I called on Sunday to book my flight and after following the phone prompts for the flight redemption I got a recorded message that the department was closed. I called back and spoke to someone who told me to call back Monday until I pointed out it was my last day to book (and was told earlier in the week that the team was available on the weekend). I was put through and I successfully booked my free flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back