AMEX Travel Insurance - Cancelled Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful situation to be in. Credit card travel insurance. No thanks.

I would never assume I was covered any longer by a cards policy if I didn't hold that card any longer.

Even still holding the card (Plat Charge), my confidence is low...... I called Chubb the other day, to get a letter stating that my rental car excess coverage included Costa Rica. The response:

"Sorry, we cant provide you with any letter like that. We are the underwriter and the administrator for the policy held by American Express, we insure them, they are just agreeing to reimburse your expanses if you meet their terms, we would be paying American Express".

• Haha
Reactions: DC3
That's definitely a sad story but I am confused how they thought that they would be covered if they weren't actively holding the card with insurance.

I would never assume I was covered any longer by a cards policy if I didn't hold that card any longer.

Even still holding the card (Plat Charge), my confidence is low...... I called Chubb the other day, to get a letter stating that my rental car excess coverage included Costa Rica. The response:

"Sorry, we cant provide you with any letter like that. We are the underwriter and the administrator for the policy held by American Express, we insure them, they are just agreeing to reimburse your expanses if you meet their terms, we would be paying American Express".
Every time I've called to ask about coverage for a possible event (a common way of clarifying the suitability of a policy for ones needs I'd have thought), I've always been hit with something like "You'd need to submit a claim to have that assessed". Useless b*stards.

It is mystifying that the pax would think they're covered by a card they no longer hold.

It is mystifying that the pax would think they're covered by a card they no longer hold.

If had transferred over to a new card, still with AMEX, and still with insurance cover, I too would have thought my insurance was extended to the new card!

It turns out the card was somehow cancelled, unknown to the card holder.

Let's hope they can pull a transcript of the call and sort it out.

If had transferred over to a new card, still with AMEX, and still with insurance cover, I too would have thought my insurance was extended to the new card!

It turns out the card was somehow cancelled, unknown to the card holder.

Let's hope they can pull a transcript of the call and sort it out.

That's one thing Amex is very good at, if what the cardholder claim is true, Amex can quickly locate the call and will make things right.

While Amex devaluation is bad, but I can't fault them at all about their customer service, it's very good.

It sounds like he transferred to cheaper Amex card that doesn't have travel insurance.

... or has a lesser policy (which would be a seperate group policy for Amex and Chubb).

We are about to say farewell to Amex platinum (too many cuts, not enough benefits to justify the annual fee any more for us), and we are waiting until after we get back from the trip that is covered by it's policy (and the supplemental one we purchased to cover the exclusions from the amex one). Luckily, we get back in the same month as the renewal date of the card. But we wouldn't expect to be covered by the policy if we downgraded our card even to another Amex.

This shouldnt even be a story to discuss. Every CC Insurance policy states that the account has to be open to make a claim, there is nothing to misundertstand.

Whilst there might be some ambiguity when changing product types but thats a very serious matter if relying on insurance, not all AMEX credit card types have the feature, OR they sometimes have different cover. Its very unlikly that the insurer Chubb (?) is in the wrong here.

on the other hand this guy will probably get away with not paying the debt anyway.

I was just reading the Amex Ultimate policy earlier today - still trying to decide what, if any other insurance provider I'll sign up with - but it's blatantly pointed out in the exclusions and terminations section:

"cover will terminate at the earlier of the following....cancellation of your qantas amex ultimate card...or...termination of the Master Policy"

While I'm not sure just which Amex card this guy was using, I'd expect that to be a standard provision across each of Amex/Chubb's policies and one that wasn't necessarily hidden in the small print either. It mentions a specific card as well, which one should be able to reasonably assume might have an impact (e.g. voided) if downgrading.

This shouldnt even be a story to discuss. Every CC Insurance policy states that the account has to be open to make a claim, there is nothing to misundertstand.

It's not always clear. Here is the PDS for ANZ (Visa) credit card insurance: https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/premium-cards-insurances.pdf

My reading of this is that once eligibility for travel insurance is triggered, it continues to be active until completion of the trip. I am currently pursuing this with Allianz ahead of a trip because I changed from the ANZ FF card to ANZ Rewards and want confirmation one way or another about whether I am covered.

It's not always clear. Here is the PDS for ANZ (Visa) credit card insurance: https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/premium-cards-insurances.pdf

My reading of this is that once eligibility for travel insurance is triggered, it continues to be active until completion of the trip. I am currently pursuing this with Allianz ahead of a trip because I changed from the ANZ FF card to ANZ Rewards and want confirmation one way or another about whether I am covered.

I dunno about that... would be good to find out. The ANZ policy refers to a 'cardholder' as being eligible for cover... which seems to imply you must have a card... which is defined elsewhere as being 'a current and valid' ANZ card facility

Swapping between eligible ANZ products I would have previously assumed continued cover. That would now be something worth checking!

To be honest I dont need to read a PDS for this scenario. I absolutely expect that If I cancel the credit card account, the insurance cover is void, and wouldnt put myself in that situation in the first place.

thats a fair reading, If I was in that situation I would want to get confirmation in writing that changing the product retains the cover. Noting carefully that ANZ has the same policy cover for all card types. AMEX has different policies for their different products, thats probably significant.

So with regard to ANZ - not Amex - I was told by email to speak to an agent. I have just done so and the agent told me that provided the eligibility for cover was met at the time the travel was booked, I remain covered for the travel. I asked her to clarify that this meant that there was no requirement to continue to hold the card - or any card - while the travel was undertaken; i.e. that a trip would be covered if it was booked on the ANZ card even if the card was cancelled prior to the travel. She said this was correct. She also said that she could not confirm this in writing because it was all set out in the Product Disclosure Statement. Needless to say, I have followed up in writing with them to try to be certain. I have no wish to be without travel insurance when it would only cost me $60 to get it - but equally no wish to pay for something I already have.

• Sad
So with regard to ANZ - not Amex - I was told by email to speak to an agent. I have just done so and the agent told me that provided the eligibility for cover was met at the time the travel was booked, I remain covered for the travel. I asked her to clarify that this meant that there was no requirement to continue to hold the card - or any card - while the travel was undertaken; i.e. that a trip would be covered if it was booked on the ANZ card even if the card was cancelled prior to the travel. She said this was correct. She also said that she could not confirm this in writing because it was all set out in the Product Disclosure Statement. Needless to say, I have followed up in writing with them to try to be certain. I have no wish to be without travel insurance when it would only cost me $60 to get it - but equally no wish to pay for something I already have.

Phaor!!! That’s certainly not my reading of the PDS, which I think impies in each section that you have to be a cardholder to be covered. I’m glad you’re getting it in writing!

I promised (sort of) to come back with regard to the ANZ cancelled card.

I wrote to them:

I have just called the number and spoken to your agent Sxx_x. Sxx_x told me that provided the eligibility for cover was met at the time the travel was booked, I remain covered for the travel. I asked her to clarify that this meant that there was no requirement to continue to hold the card - or any card - while the travel was undertaken; i.e. that a trip would be covered if it was booked on the ANZ card even if the card was cancelled prior to the travel. She said this was correct. Sxx_x said that she could not confirm this in writing because it was all set out in the Product Disclosure Statement.
I am writing now to seek your confirmation that Sxx_x's advice was correct.

I have received the following Delphic reply:

In regards to your query the definition within the booklet for a card account which is required to meet the eligibility at time of activation is reflected on page 12 and states the following.
card account means:
  • a current and valid ANZ card facility provided by ANZ to which purchases made by cardholders on an ANZ card are charged; or
  • the primary account linked to an ANZ card to which a transaction is routed by any electronic funds transfer facility.
If you have met the above you have activated a policy and the benefit policy terms and conditions will apply.

I am reading this as saying that I am correct in understanding Sxx_x; I do not need to continue to hold the card (or any card) once the cover has been activated. They had a clear opportunity to say that I would not be covered and did not take it.

I promised (sort of) to come back with regard to the ANZ cancelled card.

I wrote to them:

I have just called the number and spoken to your agent Sxx_x. Sxx_x told me that provided the eligibility for cover was met at the time the travel was booked, I remain covered for the travel. I asked her to clarify that this meant that there was no requirement to continue to hold the card - or any card - while the travel was undertaken; i.e. that a trip would be covered if it was booked on the ANZ card even if the card was cancelled prior to the travel. She said this was correct. Sxx_x said that she could not confirm this in writing because it was all set out in the Product Disclosure Statement.
I am writing now to seek your confirmation that Sxx_x's advice was correct.

I have received the following Delphic reply:

In regards to your query the definition within the booklet for a card account which is required to meet the eligibility at time of activation is reflected on page 12 and states the following.
card account means:
  • a current and valid ANZ card facility provided by ANZ to which purchases made by cardholders on an ANZ card are charged; or
  • the primary account linked to an ANZ card to which a transaction is routed by any electronic funds transfer facility.
If you have met the above you have activated a policy and the benefit policy terms and conditions will apply.

I am reading this as saying that I am correct in understanding Sxx_x; I do not need to continue to hold the card (or any card) once the cover has been activated. They had a clear opportunity to say that I would not be covered and did not take it.

I don't agree. As per my post above, I think the full PDF reads that you must be a cardholder not only at the time you activate cover, but also at any time you wish to be eligible for any of the benefits.

i think this is made clear in Part B of the policy which states:

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE​
If you have met all the criteria listed under Part A - Eligibility & Activation of Cover before leaving Australia, cover is available under International Travel Insurance for your journey for a period of up to six (6) consecutive months for cardholders, their spouses and/or dependants​

My bolding. But it states you must be a cardholder. Which is defines as a current and active card.

I was fortunate one time when I upgraded my amex and had to make a claim on travel purchased on my old card. I didn’t think I would be covered but thought I would ask and they paid out based on the conditions of the new card.

My bolding. But it states you must be a cardholder. Which is defines as a current and active card.
I agree, I wont risk it. I personally am in this situation right now. I have effected cover for a trip next month on this card. and I want to cancel it next week because Annual fee is due.

In saying that though, I understand why they wont put the policy documents into their own words, they are not allowed to.
It makes sense they wont say YES if the answer is YES. But if the answer is NO, what harm is it in saying NO. they couldnt be held liable for a loss by saying no could they ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back