Amex Travel Credit - covid implication

glasszon

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I got $800 worth of Amex Travel credit that will expire in December. Given there's virtually no chance of me being allowed to travel outside Melbourne before the end of this year, do anyone know what options are Amex offering to people?

I hear you can request extension to the travel credit, but will the travel credit remain if I downgrade the explorer card to a no AF version?

I've read in a few places that any travel credit expiring before dec 31 will get an extension for 3 or 6 months.

I have travel credits expiring in jan and feb so that counts me out

I'm hoping for an extension, as with no idea on travel in 2021, I cant book any hotels

I received this message from AMEX last week:

"Due to the current circumstances, we are further extending the expiry date on your Travel Credit to 31 March 2021. Remember, you can book for travel up to 10 months in advance. There is no need for you to call or take any action as the extended expiry date will be automatically reflected in your online travel account from 5 January 2021. All other terms and conditions for your annual Travel Credit remain the same."

"Due to the current circumstances, we are further extending the expiry date on your Travel Credit to 31 March 2021. Remember, you can book for travel up to 10 months in advance. There is no need for you to call or take any action as the extended expiry date will be automatically reflected in your online travel account from 5 January 2021. All other terms and conditions for your annual Travel Credit remain the same."
I also received this email from Amex extending the travel credits.

I got that email too, I wonder whether the travel credit extension will remain if I switch the card from explorer to one of the no annual fee card.

I used my travel credit to book a flight that it will now be impossible to take. Does anyone have any experience with whether they are waiving any of the refund fees and such?

I used my travel credit to book a flight that it will now be impossible to take. Does anyone have any experience with whether they are waiving any of the refund fees and such?

If the flight booked meets the airline's refund policies, eg. flight cancelled, then yes, they are waiving their service fees (along with the airline penalty).

If the flight booked meets the airline's refund policies, eg. flight cancelled, then yes, they are waiving their service fees (along with the airline penalty).
The flight is not cancelled. It's within WA, which I can't enter in the first place.

And it was paid with my travel credit, which would have originally expired by now, but would be extended to March if I'd not booking anything with it.

When my flight was refunded, the travel credit has a 12 month validity from the date I received the refund.

If Amex/the airline won't play ball, can you claim it on your travel insurance perhaps?

Sounds promising. I'll see how it goes. I never bother with travel insurance for domestic trips and I doubt anyone would cover Amex travel credits anyhow. (The flight was $1 less than my travel credit, so there is no cash component.)
Result: Because it's Virgin, I get a travel credit and wait and see whether it's ever usable.

Last edited:
I had a flight booked to MNL at the end of this month using part cash and part Amex travel credit. I have since cancelled my Amex card. I have just been advised by Amex Travel that my flight has been cancelled and was offered a full refund including the travel credit as a bank cheque. That was a pleasant surprise.

My AMEX $440 travel credit expires in a few days so I need to book something (card will be cancelled).
Anyone had a refund or anything if flight subsequently cancelled?

same with me, my flight was cancelled and refund was given in full to my other amex card including the travel credit off $450 from the old cancelled card, so was pretty happy with that.

if you kindly ask..would be
Post automatically merged:

My AMEX $440 travel credit expires in a few days so I need to book something (card will be cancelled).
Anyone had a refund or anything if flight subsequently cancelled?
if you cancel your card. no chance. otherwise its their discretion to refund credit. t&c says no.

My travel credit is expiring in jan or feb , and I have two lots and I'm running out of ideas on how to redeem or redeem/cancel as we're not travelling anywhere for a while, due to covid.....

Seems like buying a flight that you knowing is going to get cancelled is a strattegt

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back