AMEx telemarketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wills

I have two amex card and lookout if you have a rewards program, you will be annoyed by constant calls from India, and constant mailouts to your hme address. It has now got out of hand after two years membership with plague proportions. Some telemarketers just dont give up, they almost stalk you, and god forgive you hang up on them! they ring back and abuse you and request an apology! The switch from normal bank cards to amex has been an incrediable new world of harassment. You may think you can tell them not to call you back? try it! Your request will be ignored, you may even be told that you are really rude from someone not even in your country!
Just try and lower you credit limit, its a real experiment on the call centre, they just dont know how to do it! They will fax you and mail you any form but a reduction. Even calling the main office in australia cant even help you as they say they have to put you onto the call centre; guess where? India of course! Around and around you go! No one will take responsibilty, no one will will explain why I am getting the calls because its not in their FAQ's!
I had an Indian call centre lady call me two days ago to say that i had abnormal spending on my card the other day (of which i appreciated). But she could not hear me or understand me beacuse of the delay in telecommunications, so three days later my card is still disabled. I said i could not hear her, and she replied "good, I will cancel your card"!!!!!! arrrghhh!
Good bye AMEX! Hello local bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wills - it is pretty clear you are having a bad Amex day given your two threads spraying Amex. What is your beef -

Indian call centres, telemarketers, overmailing, banks switching to Amex, changing your credit limits or trouble canceling your card?

I have not really had an issue with the telemarketing from Amex (or more usually someone ringing in behalf of Ace Insurance trying to sell me the latest insurance product). They have always been friendly and accepting when I have said I was not interested and terminated the conversation.

From a mail perspective, I only get my monthly statements. (Unless I can show that Readers Digest got my name and address from Amex :) )

I also get a little annoyed by the frequent rounds of telemarketing calls from certain companies.

It seems that every 3-6 months, I get a new letter from "life insurance" companies sent to me for 2 of my bank/credit card accounts.

That is always followed up by a telemarketing call a week or more later.

While I don't think I can get them to stop (bar telling the banks/CC involved to *not* contact me for any promo items thus losing out on any promos that I actually want), it still is a little annoying.

Surely they should realise that after 12 calls in around 2 years that I don't want this type of product.

Oh well.

Wills said:
Good bye AMEX! Hello local bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think you can avoid overseas call centres by changing to a local bank. I noticed the other day when I called ANZ, the service rep was in India.

I'm afraid it will happen more and more, unless customers are prepared to pay a premium for local call centres.

oz_mark said:
From a mail perspective, I only get my monthly statements. (Unless I can show that Readers Digest got my name and address from Amex :) )

You can even avoid that by opting for online statements ;)

I am so far very happy with Amex - although I do wonder whether I should have gone for a no fee card rather than the Amex gold charge and I think given my soon to be recent switch to AA from QF that I shouldnt have gone for the Ascent program over teh choices program - mind you I might still be able to change that....

@Wills - Mate get over it - all CC companies, banks etc are scum ;) If you work on that underlying princple you will never be disappointed by their service :) Or you could join a credit union..... mind you try getting FF points out of a credit union :)

I have had no problems with AMEX. The call centre staff (Indians) have been more courtious and understanding than the local call centre staff. Try citibank and you will get diverted to Philippines and their English is a little difficult to understand

Local banks are no less in telemarketing. I have this regular calls from Westpac trying to sell me their Insurance products.

mileagemax said:
I don't think you can avoid overseas call centres by changing to a local bank. I noticed the other day when I called ANZ, the service rep was in India.

I'm afraid it will happen more and more, unless customers are prepared to pay a premium for local call centres.

Not all businesses have outsourced yet.

When I call National bank, the operator always says their location (Sydney, Melbourne). eg. You are speaking with Natalie from Melbourne.

Andy said:
I have had no problems with AMEX. The call centre staff (Indians) have been more courtious and understanding than the local call centre staff. Try citibank and you will get diverted to Philippines and their English is a little difficult to understand
With AMEX I mostly get the Philippines call centre. Their understanding of the English language is not good enough to deal with complex queries. Occassionally I get transferred back to an Australian call centre employee if they are not able to resolve query satisfactorily.

Does it depend on the query where you get diverted?

one9 said:
Not all businesses have outsourced yet.

When I call National bank, the operator always says their location (Sydney, Melbourne). eg. You are speaking with Natalie from Melbourne.

Do you think that's a response to other organizations using Indian call centres?

Service ( or lack there of ) is huge issue with CC companies, over the years I have cards from all the majors except westpac and I would rate the NAB far and away the best, so if you want an amex card check out the Ant amex .

I have not had a single call in over two years from NAB ( bliss ! )

Regards

bertoman

Hey guys I too understand your frustration - try these numbers - I have never been diverted to any overseas call centres when using the following numbers!! - GOODD LUCK!! ;)

Personal

Emergency services:
For Lost or Stolen Cards (Select Option 1)
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
1300 132 639
+ 61 2 9271 8664

Manage your American Express Card account online.
Click here to login now
1300 732 235

Customer Service Business Hours:
8am - 7pmSydney Time, seven days

Personal Card Enquiries
1300 132 639
+ 61 2 9271 8664

8am - 7pmSydney Time, 7 days

Correspondence and Feedback
GPO
Box 1582
Sydney NSW 2001

Personal Card Payments
GPO
Box 4344
Sydney NSW 2001

Line Of Credit Payments
GPO
Box 3945
Sydney NSW 2001

Platinum Services
1800 673 760
+ 61 2 9271 8628

Centurion Services
1800 231 889
+ 61 2 9271 8455

Travel Advantage Online Bookings
Business hours:
9am - 5pmSydney Time, Mon-Fri

Credit Card Enquiries
Blue Credit Card
1300 365 399
+ 61 2 9271 8645

Gold Credit Card
1300 366 105
+ 61 2 9271 8655

Correspondence and Feedback
GPO
Box 1582
Sydney NSW 2001

Credit Card Payments
GPO
Box 3577
Sydney NSW 2001

The Membership Rewards Program
1300 363 276

With telemarketers (who usually call between 5 pm and 8 pm) - interrupt the spiel and say: "I don't take business calls at this time." and hang up. Game over until next time. but it takes less than three seconds:!: They can't cope when you interrupt the spiel and its the telephone equivalent of deleting unwanted email.

I recently had ACE insurance call me regarding credit protection insurance on my AMEX CC. The "consultant" I spoke to was offering an insurance premium of 0.8% on the outstanding monthly balance of the AMEX card. As I pay the card off in full each month this sounded great - FREE INSURANCE.

Alas, when T&C were received in the mail this was incorrect and premium was based on monthly balance, plus I had already been hit with the first months premium (~$70). I rang ACE and cancelled the policy and, after some "firm but polite" discussions, they agreed to refund the premium debited to my card.

I guess that this belongs to the adage "If it sounds to good to be true......"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back