Amex Qantas ultimate card free flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

mranwa

Intern
I think this might have been asked before as i vaguely remember reading it some where when researching to apply this card. My annual fee date is approaching and I have yet to redeem the annual free Qantas flight. What should I do as I've no plans to travel anywhere soon.
A) Can I just book a random date and later change it? Ie are the free flights flexi?
B) Can I cancel after booking to get a credit to purchase any ticket later?
C) I'm allowed to book the ticket for another name isn't? Means can I "sell" the ticket, say to a friend or relative?
Thanks for any suggestion or information.

I think this might have been asked before as i vaguely remember reading it some where when researching to apply this card. My annual fee date is approaching and I have yet to redeem the annual free Qantas flight. What should I do as I've no plans to travel anywhere soon.
A) Can I just book a random date and later change it? Ie are the free flights flexi?
B) Can I cancel after booking to get a credit to purchase any ticket later?
C) I'm allowed to book the ticket for another name isn't? Means can I "sell" the ticket, say to a friend or relative?
Thanks for any suggestion or information.

I also have an Amex Ultimate.

The 'free' flight is not flexi. It is a Red-E deal or equivalent. Once when I went to book for a particular date and flight, I had to pay some $$ as the fare bucket they use was not available.

I have recently made a booking. Here are the Ts&Cs from that:
Ultimate Qantas Fare Rules
Minimum Stay: None
Maximum Stay: One year from date of issue.
Reservations: Instant purchase fare
Changes: Prior to day of departure
A. Permitted at an airline charge of AUD77.00 including GST per person. Rebooking/Reissue must occur no later than 24 hours after the change is made. Not permitted to
change and travel on the same day.
B. A service fee of AUD27.00 per person will be charged by American Express for all changes.
C. Fare may be used as a credit towards payment of an equal or higher ticket value provided conditions of the new fare have been met. Any higher fare difference will be paid
by card member in addition to the service and reissue fees.
On day of departure Changes not permitted. Fare is forfeited.
Ticket Validity: 1 Year. All travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticketing date.
Ticketing: An electronic ticket must be issued
Restrictions: Non Refundable / Non Endorsable / No name changes permitted
Cancellations: Failure to check in on time for your confirmed flight will result in your ticket being void. Cancellation on day of departure is not permitted. Fare is forfeited.
Frequent Flyer: Frequent flyer points will not be earned on this ticket.
Please refer to www.americanexpress.com.au/ultimate for the American Express flight offer conditions.
If you have any enquiries regarding this confirmed booking or wish to make any changes please contact Platinum Priority Service on 1800 507 104 between 9am to 6pm EST
Monday to Friday.
We hope you enjoy your American Express Ultimate Card return Flight. We wish you a pleasant journey.

Hope that helps.

Keith from point hacks suggests selling the flight on gumtree to recoup some of the cost of the annual fee..

Thanks JohnM. That's very helpful. Do you know when we do changes as per condition "Changes Piror to day of departure, C. Fare may be used as a credit....", can the credit be use for ticket other than the routes in amex site (ie BNE-SYD, BNE-MEL, PER-SYD etc?). In other word, can I book PER-SYD return, cancel it and use the credit to buy say BNE-SIN or even BNE-TSV?

I also have an Amex Ultimate.

The 'free' flight is not flexi. It is a Red-E deal or equivalent. Once when I went to book for a particular date and flight, I had to pay some $$ as the fare bucket they use was not available.

I have recently made a booking. Here are the Ts&Cs from that:
Ultimate Qantas Fare Rules
Minimum Stay: None
Maximum Stay: One year from date of issue.
Reservations: Instant purchase fare
Changes: Prior to day of departure
A. Permitted at an airline charge of AUD77.00 including GST per person. Rebooking/Reissue must occur no later than 24 hours after the change is made. Not permitted to
change and travel on the same day.
B. A service fee of AUD27.00 per person will be charged by American Express for all changes.
C. Fare may be used as a credit towards payment of an equal or higher ticket value provided conditions of the new fare have been met. Any higher fare difference will be paid
by card member in addition to the service and reissue fees.
On day of departure Changes not permitted. Fare is forfeited.
Ticket Validity: 1 Year. All travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticketing date.
Ticketing: An electronic ticket must be issued
Restrictions: Non Refundable / Non Endorsable / No name changes permitted
Cancellations: Failure to check in on time for your confirmed flight will result in your ticket being void. Cancellation on day of departure is not permitted. Fare is forfeited.
Frequent Flyer: Frequent flyer points will not be earned on this ticket.
Please refer to www.americanexpress.com.au/ultimate for the American Express flight offer conditions.
If you have any enquiries regarding this confirmed booking or wish to make any changes please contact Platinum Priority Service on 1800 507 104 between 9am to 6pm EST
Monday to Friday.
We hope you enjoy your American Express Ultimate Card return Flight. We wish you a pleasant journey.

Hope that helps.

Thanks JohnM. That's very helpful. Do you know when we do changes as per condition "Changes Piror to day of departure, C. Fare may be used as a credit....", can the credit be use for ticket other than the routes in amex site (ie BNE-SYD, BNE-MEL, PER-SYD etc?). In other word, can I book PER-SYD return, cancel it and use the credit to buy say BNE-SIN or even BNE-TSV?

I don't know, but if it turns into a credit, my guess is that it is then equivalent of dollars to use on whatever flight you like.

I don't know, but if it turns into a credit, my guess is that it is then equivalent of dollars to use on whatever flight you like.

You are right JohnM. I finally booked a Perth-Sydney return today. Painless process. Thumbs up to the AMEX domestic flight redemption team. Got the flights confirmation email within 5mins after the call. A few flight times wasn't available but I was flexible, or rather I should say my aunt was flexible. The ticket was booked into her name, no problem at all.
As per the CSC, on the day you book, you have till 6pm to change any dates or name. After that, any changes will cost $114 ($77 goes to Qantas, $27 goes to Amex). Refund of ticket not allowed but cancellation will mean getting a credit which can be use later after paying the $114 fee. Seem to be able to use this credit for any flight value equal or more.

You are right JohnM. I finally booked a Perth-Sydney return today. Painless process. Thumbs up to the AMEX domestic flight redemption team. Got the flights confirmation email within 5mins after the call. A few flight times wasn't available but I was flexible, or rather I should say my aunt was flexible. The ticket was booked into her name, no problem at all.
As per the CSC, on the day you book, you have till 6pm to change any dates or name. After that, any changes will cost $114 ($77 goes to Qantas, $27 goes to Amex). Refund of ticket not allowed but cancellation will mean getting a credit which can be use later after paying the $114 fee. Seem to be able to use this credit for any flight value equal or more.

Did you get the $$ value of the fare? If so, how close was it to the annual card fee?

As far as I can see, an Amex Ultimate is only of value to folks who want to travel to/from PER.

Did you get the $$ value of the fare? If so, how close was it to the annual card fee?

As far as I can see, an Amex Ultimate is only of value to folks who want to travel to/from PER.

I did not ask the CSC the value of the fare but looking at Qantas site, the tickets cost $319 x2. I presumed that would be the value? The ticket was booked in O class, maybe worth less without the SC and points earning.
I can see what you mean about the card being only of value to folks traveling to/from PER but maybe if the value is good then can convert it into credit. My annual fee is $250 so if the ticket is worth $250+$114 = $364 I would have break after paying the $114 change fee, ie a free amex card. I do like this card with 3 points for restaurant and been getting a lot of cashback (small shops, DJ, tripadvisor). Though its arguable that I have spent more, likely unnecessarily....$194 QC20 earphones from recent DJ sale/cashback comes to mind....:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back