Amex platinum reserve vs commbank platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

random111

Intern
Hi Guys

i've done as much research as I can into this but just wanted to run something by you

I signed up to the Amex platinum reserve card to make use of the 25,000 bonus point offer, the freereturn flight and also through my professional association i get discounted amex cards.

im paying roughly $295 for the card

I've also got a commbank platinum mcard with amex, at the moment for free until april next year (through some difficult negotiation with commbank), but normally at $250

I like the free return flight every year with the amex card, would say that a free return flight from MEL to NZ or PER would pay for the card every year.

Other than that though, are there any other benefits of using the amex reserve card for the majority of payments?

I will most likely use the points for velocity rewards, both the CBA amex and amex reserve earn at the same rate

However, if i didnt transfer to velocity, is membership rewards ascent better than CBA rewards? Are things cheaper e.g. vouchers? is there a wider variety of uses?

Im weighing up downgrading the CBA cards to a gold, just so I can have a mcard for when amex is not accepted or is surchaged and using the reserve card, but not sure if that is the better situation. Don't think i would be getting any benefit of keeping the CBA plat and the amex reserve together, unless im missing something?

Have considered the virgin flyer credit card, but not sure on that combination...

Thanks in advance

Are you Aware of CBA's wealth pkg at $350 which gets you other benefits like loan discounts? Platinum as of this week is now standard with that. And they are currently selectively offering diamond awards cards for no extra cost - suggest if you want it just ask! (I know it can be done)

Don't know what the difference in earn rates are btw plat and diamond but may be worth your while.

I think you are basically looking for a high earn rate Amex (which you have) and high earn rate mcard or visa.... Virgin flyer is one or citibank business gold currently offering 40k points bonus sign on. Or Woolworth edr.

As for ascent vs cBA awards, not sure on that one. Someone else maybe able to compare or have experience.

I guess the question may boil down to whether you want flights or other awards. If you want flights you may need to look for maximizing transfers to your ff accounts.

Are you Aware of CBA's wealth pkg at $350 which gets you other benefits like loan discounts? Platinum as of this week is now standard with that. And they are currently selectively offering diamond awards cards for no extra cost - suggest if you want it just ask! (I know it can be done)

Don't know what the difference in earn rates are btw plat and diamond but may be worth your while.

I think you are basically looking for a high earn rate Amex (which you have) and high earn rate mcard or visa.... Virgin flyer is one or citibank business gold currently offering 40k points bonus sign on. Or Woolworth edr.

As for ascent vs cBA awards, not sure on that one. Someone else maybe able to compare or have experience.

I guess the question may boil down to whether you want flights or other awards. If you want flights you may need to look for maximizing transfers to your ff accounts.

Hey

Thanks for the feedback!

I hadnt considered citibank but I think I will.

Unfort I dont have a mortgage with comm bank...so can't apply for the wealth package

From my experience, vouchers and items on the award programs have not been good value, frequent flyer points seem to be better value!

I know this is OT, but when did platinum become standard with the wealth package? I took mine out just over 1 year ago and gold was all that was offered. I asked about a free upgrade a few months ago and was told it was not possible. I think it was possible they just didn't want to do it. In any event I now spend no money on that card and use the EDRCC.

I can't see anything on the CBA website so just wondering how you found out. If platinum is now standard I will hit them up for it and switch my amex spending back to CBA.

I know this is OT, but when did platinum become standard with the wealth package? I took mine out just over 1 year ago and gold was all that was offered. I asked about a free upgrade a few months ago and was told it was not possible. I think it was possible they just didn't want to do it. In any event I now spend no money on that card and use the EDRCC.

I can't see anything on the CBA website so just wondering how you found out. If platinum is now standard I will hit them up for it and switch my amex spending back to CBA.
I have no idea of the real answer to your question other than to say they just upped me to Diamond as part of my wealth package.

I had a fee-free CBA plat card prior to the wealth package being devised just based on what I had negotiated with my local branch. When the wealth package arrived with a standard gold CBA card I was told customers with plat cards who took it up would retain our plat cards instead of getting gold cards.

Recently I got offered a fee-free diamond to replace my plat and took that up so it's certainly possible to get plat and diamond cards as part of or alongside the wealth package.

When CBA say "its not possible" they either they mean they can't be bothered, the minion you are speaking to doesn't know how to do it or you haven't made a credible enough threat to leave!

When CBA say "its not possible" they either they mean they can't be bothered, the minion you are speaking to doesn't know how to do it or you haven't made a credible enough threat to leave!

That's what I thought. Although I did go through the relationship or customer service manager at my local branch who went to great pains to contact me when my previous branch closed and I was transferred to this new branch. They wanted to get to know me, see if they could help, hook me up with other CBA products etc. It all counted for nothing when I asked for a free plat upgrade.

The problem is I won't leave because I'm happy with the home loans. So she called my bluff and just said, well you can keep it as an emergency card. I'm not going to incur discharge fees to move home loans just to get a free plat card which is probably fairly weak compared to other platinum cards out there anyway (if the gold card is anything to go by).

The amex platinum reserve on the other hand has some nice benefits and I was thinking about taking one of these out.

It was from last week. Just call and go thru to credit cards. Tell them you want diamond at no extra cost. There's a few posts from people indicating it can be done. Min credit limit is 18k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back