Amex Platinum Credit Card - Sydney/Perth flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljs

Hi,

I will need to travel to Perth later this year. I realise that Amex has removed Perth from the list of Sydney departures, but Sydney is available if you are departing from Perth.

I was curious as to whether it's possible to book, for example:
Perth - Sydney, 1 October
Sydney - Perth, 10 October

...and then to ring Qantas a few days later and ask for the Perth - Sydney leg to be moved to 20 October? The terms and conditions allow you to change the time and date of your flight, so I can't see why Qantas would say no, but it's clearly not within the rules of the promo.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

All bookings and/or changes for the Amex free flight need to be made through Amex, and not QF. I was lucky enough to have my card before the changes in routing took place, so I was able to get SYDPER, but I did have to change my flight in a couple of weeks and had no problems whatsoever with Amex doing so, even to the extent of offering me several flights each day. I think they are booked in "O" class.

However, I don't know how you would go with your scenario. It would be good if it worked for you, but somehow I just don't think so.

Last edited:
michaeljs said:
Hi,

I will need to travel to Perth later this year. I realise that Amex has removed Perth from the list of Sydney departures, but Sydney is available if you are departing from Perth.

I was curious as to whether it's possible to book, for example:
Perth - Sydney, 1 October
Sydney - Perth, 10 October

...and then to ring Qantas a few days later and ask for the Perth - Sydney leg to be moved to 20 October? The terms and conditions allow you to change the time and date of your flight, so I can't see why Qantas would say no, but it's clearly not within the rules of the promo.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

My understanding is that while you can change the dates, you can't change the actual sequence, so I suspect this may not work.

Went Sydney Perth two weeks ago on the free flight with Amex Platinum Credit Card and I just check my activity on the QF website and they have given me 40 status credits (20 each way) and indicated it was an eligible flight, so can't complain about that.

Maca44 said:
Went Sydney Perth two weeks ago on the free flight with Amex Platinum Credit Card and I just check my activity on the QF website and they have given me 40 status credits (20 each way) and indicated it was an eligible flight, so can't complain about that.

I thought there was a tacit agreement to keep quiet...

michaeljs, do you have a friend or family in Perth who would be ok forwarding some mail through to you? You could try updating your address with AMEX to their address in Perth, give it a few weeks and book the flight. It might look a bit suspicious if you change it back again straight away.

SeaWolf said:
michaeljs, do you have a friend or family in Perth who would be ok forwarding some mail through to you? You could try updating your address with AMEX to their address in Perth, give it a few weeks and book the flight. It might look a bit suspicious if you change it back again straight away.

But as it would then be a return trip from Perth michaeljs has to commence his trip from Perth??

Yeah, entirely possible that they'll want it to start at Perth, but you might get lucky.

Good luck with it.

I'm originally from Perth and have just recently moved to Sydney. I had to book Perth - Sydney - Perth but luckily I knew specific dates that I wanted to be in Perth so booking the return flight wasn't a big issue.

Do you visit Perth often? If so you can pay for one way to go Perth and then do what I did above (of course I understand this doesn't solve your original problem and means you are still forking out for a one way flight).

tinky said:
Good luck with it.

I'm originally from Perth and have just recently moved to Sydney. I had to book Perth - Sydney - Perth but luckily I knew specific dates that I wanted to be in Perth so booking the return flight wasn't a big issue.

Do you visit Perth often? If so you can pay for one way to go Perth and then do what I did above (of course I understand this doesn't solve your original problem and means you are still forking out for a one way flight).

Actually that could work out quite well; book an initial one way flight to Perth at own expense, then book the free flights PER-SYD (confirmed date), with the return leg in the distant future (at an unconfirmed date). That way, as long as you travel to Perth once a year, you can later rebook the SYD-PER sector to a confirmed date (paying the change fee of course) and then originate your next free booking from Perth again, and so on.

tinky said:
Good luck with it.

What a good idea...........we constantly need our thinking caps on to get around these sorts of issues............keep up the good work........thanks for sharing:p :p

serfty said:
It's known in the Frequent Flyer vernacular as having 'nested bookings'.

Thanks for update/info..........every little bit helps:cool: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back