AMEX PLANTINIM - WHAT IS THE BUSINESS CLASS DEAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvel

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used the AMEX platinum special business class airfare deal? I just got offerred one but they don't actually tell you what the special rate is?

Is there anything to justify the $900 annual fee?

Thanks.

I have got an invite for AMEX platiunum at $900 as a companion card for my CPA AMEX gold. I can not see any benefit that I will get from this card, just leaving that out for the moment.

I have recently used the service. In total for 2 return business tickets to London, on Maylasian air it was $11,000, with a stop over in KAL.

Now that they have updated the insurance to $5million, the insurance can justitify the $900 fee, depending on how often you travel, and your other card members.

marvel said:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used the AMEX platinum special business class airfare deal? I just got offerred one but they don't actually tell you what the special rate is?

Is there anything to justify the $900 annual fee?

Thanks.

Drop the AMEX platinum service a call on 1800 67 37 60 and have a chat to somone in travel about it. Call them any time, 24 hours a day.

Amex Platinum service

Me experiences with the Amex Platinum card were not that positive. They had trouble coordinating booking event tickets and travel so basically no one ever called me as they said they would. The welcome pack didn't turn up and I had to request it, the magazine never turned up etc.

The Platinum team do not offer true 24 hour customer service as when making enquiries outside of 'normal business hours' was told to call back again during business hours.

When enquiring about my other card, a call centre team leader in Mumbai yelled at me and they admitted that this occurred yet took some three or more months to get back to me about this. Platinum team leader did not follow this through at all.

The contacted me to see if I wanted to reactivate my Platinum card and they would give me 1,000 bonus points as a good will gesture. Both of my accounts with Amex have now been cancelled.

Amex customer service has gone downhill since they relocated most CS operations to Mumbai.

I'm at the point where if I get a sub-continent accent answering when I call in, I hang up and try again later, in the hope of finding somebody in Australia who can actually action something - not just read a script from the terminal in front of them.

Citibank Platinum Visa is WAY COOL by comparison. A far better value proposition, with true 24 hr customer service (based in Australia - no less!) - and I haven't even used half the available services.

Can you guess how the future proportions of spending on my Amex v Citibank cards will trend?

shillard said:
Amex customer service has gone downhill since they relocated most CS operations to Mumbai.

AMEX platinum is and always has been based in AU. Same as Centurion (black).

If your a Platinum or Centurion card holder and your not get a AU based consultant your calling the wrong number.

shillard said:
Citibank Platinum Visa is WAY COOL by comparison. A far better value proposition, with true 24 hr customer service (based in Australia - no less!) - and I haven't even used half the available services.

My understanding not all services of Citibank Platinum (Visa or Mastercard) are AU Based, especially the concierge services. In Visa's case my understanding is these go to the Visa Platinum service, based in Singapore I believe.

american Express Platinum

Perhaps this (from the ACCC website) may help you understand AMEX's position with the platinum card

American Express offers refunds for Platinum Cardmembers

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has accepted court enforceable undertakings from American Express regarding the advertising of its International Airline Program (IAP) for Platinum Cardmembers.

Since its introduction in 1998 and until its revision in September 2003, American Express's IAP was advertised by American Express as entitling Platinum Cardmembers to purchase a specially negotiated ticket for first or business class air travel on a participating airline and receive a free, complimentary or bonus companion ticket entitling a second person to accompany the cardmember on that trip.

The ACCC received complaints from cardmembers who found that they were able to purchase comparable air travel tickets in the open market at a price that suggested that the companion ticket offer was not free.

While in many cases the purchase of air travel tickets through American Express's IAP resulted in some savings for cardmembers over the price of buying two comparable tickets for air travel from outlets available to the general public, the offer could not in all cases be said to be truly free, bonus or complimentary.

"Businesses need to be careful when they use absolute terms in their advertising", ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel, warned. "An offer of free, complimentary or bonus goods or services means exactly that, and businesses need to exercise caution when making absolute claims of this nature".

In response to the ACCC's concerns and complaints by some Platinum Cardmembers, American Express will write to those who may have been misled and offer:

a refund of up to one year's Platinum Card membership fee or
an amount of 10 per cent of the cost of the first fare purchased under the IAP, depending upon individual circumstances.
The ACCC acknowledges American Express's co-operative approach in resolving this matter.

American Express Media Contact: Luisa Megale (02) 9271 2070

Media inquiries
Mr Graeme Samuel, Canberra, Chairman, (02) 6243 1129
Ms Lin Enright, Director, Public Relations, (02) 6243 1108, (0414) 613 520
Release # MR 144/04
Issued: 4th August 2004

Has anyone been in touch with AMEX platinum to request this reimbursement?

This feature was one of the main reasons I accepted their offer in he first place and having since got quotes from them and compared to other offers around the place I find the suggestion that the companion ticket is not really free to be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back