AMEX "Foundation Member"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelix

Intern
Ok so I just recieved my new Platty in the post.. and lo and behold i now have the words "Foundation Member" printed above the first 4 digits of my card number... what is this??? Recognition? have they stuffed something up?

Jono

I am not sure that it actually has any meaning. Aside from trying to make the holders feel somehow special.

hah well no "warm and fuzzies" here... anyone else got this on their card? what was the criteria?

I have been a Amex customer for about 8 years and when I upgraded to Plat card in feb 2006 my card came with "foundation member" as well.
Me thinks it is just a con to make you feel special when you owe them money.
God Bless Them it worked on me.

I am also a "foundation member". Is there anyone who is not a foundation member?

Foundation members are merely the guinea pigs for any new Amex Card.

They sometimes have an additional benefit - grandfathering of a special introductory price or set of features.

Amex Plat credit cards since inception have had this. I thought it would last for only one year, obviously they want to keep the "feel good" factor a little longer :)

StevePER said:
I am also a "foundation member". Is there anyone who is not a foundation member?
What is a foundation member again?

ahh.. well at least its nothing too strange.. but a year of the card and its still there?? Bizzaro

JohnK said:
What is a foundation member again?
If I recall, I remember Amex first introducing the Foundation Member "status" in Australia during their team up with AMP's Amex Credit Card (now obsolete due to Amex Aus absorbing those clients). Back then, they marketed the Foundation Membership as being something quite special; "Maintain your membership and always keep your Founding Status", and it entitled you to a small discount on some rewards etc.

Since then, I have noticed them using it occasionally, most recently with the Platinum Credit Card. I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that I think Amex printed too many Platinum cards with this imprint, and didn't issue as many as hoped when it kicked off (do you temember the massive campaign launch?). I also don't think there are any benefits that come with being a Founding member... Shame; the new Dior promo would have made a fantastic Christmas gift for existing members.

I got my card in May 2006 and didn't get "foundation member". Humph.

About 20 years ago they introduced a Gold card - I was a foundation member on this card. It meant nothing - just an ego boost. After a year I realised that the card just cost more money than the green card with no sensible benefits, so I went back to green. Sure I could borrow money against it no questions ask. What amused my (and still does) is that having shown that I can manage money (never had a late payment in 40 years) they still offer deals where I can get a better card and pay only 14% interest. Anyone who can manage money knows that you never pay interest on a credit card, which is twice the cost of other readily available sources.

My recommendation is don't be conned into cards that offer an ego trip and will just cost more money.

I have just been approached by AMEX to get a new card with additional QFF points (I already have 1.1 million points - don't know if I can use them faster than I get them). I am assured that this card will cost no more. Haven't checked it out yet. Anyone know anything about it? mainly, does it cost more money.

Personally I would be happier if Amex would cut out all the costly overheads - insurance etc - and just make it a simple card with lower fees to it was more acceptable around the world. I don't know why I still use them.

rhjames said:
I have just been approached by AMEX to get a new card with additional QFF points (I already have 1.1 million points - don't know if I can use them faster than I get them). I am assured that this card will cost no more. Haven't checked it out yet. Anyone know anything about it? mainly, does it cost more money.

I'm happy to become a relative if you wish to transfer me some points :!: :oops: :D :idea:

straitman said:
I'm happy to become a relative if you wish to transfer me some points :!: :oops: :D :idea:

Sorry - retiring next year and expect to put them to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back