AMEX "Foundation Member" | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

AMEX "Foundation Member"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelix

Intern
Ok so I just recieved my new Platty in the post.. and lo and behold i now have the words "Foundation Member" printed above the first 4 digits of my card number... what is this??? Recognition? have they stuffed something up?

Jono

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I am not sure that it actually has any meaning. Aside from trying to make the holders feel somehow special.

kelix

Intern
hah well no "warm and fuzzies" here... anyone else got this on their card? what was the criteria?

ansettrule

Intern
I have been a Amex customer for about 8 years and when I upgraded to Plat card in feb 2006 my card came with "foundation member" as well.
Me thinks it is just a con to make you feel special when you owe them money.
God Bless Them it worked on me.

StevePER

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I am also a "foundation member". Is there anyone who is not a foundation member?

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Foundation members are merely the guinea pigs for any new Amex Card.

They sometimes have an additional benefit - grandfathering of a special introductory price or set of features.

Amex Plat credit cards since inception have had this. I thought it would last for only one year, obviously they want to keep the "feel good" factor a little longer :)

JohnK

AFF Supporter
StevePER said:
I am also a "foundation member". Is there anyone who is not a foundation member?
What is a foundation member again?

kelix

Intern
ahh.. well at least its nothing too strange.. but a year of the card and its still there?? Bizzaro

wiz

JohnK said:
What is a foundation member again?
If I recall, I remember Amex first introducing the Foundation Member "status" in Australia during their team up with AMP's Amex Credit Card (now obsolete due to Amex Aus absorbing those clients). Back then, they marketed the Foundation Membership as being something quite special; "Maintain your membership and always keep your Founding Status", and it entitled you to a small discount on some rewards etc.

Since then, I have noticed them using it occasionally, most recently with the Platinum Credit Card. I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that I think Amex printed too many Platinum cards with this imprint, and didn't issue as many as hoped when it kicked off (do you temember the massive campaign launch?). I also don't think there are any benefits that come with being a Founding member... Shame; the new Dior promo would have made a fantastic Christmas gift for existing members.

rhjames

About 20 years ago they introduced a Gold card - I was a foundation member on this card. It meant nothing - just an ego boost. After a year I realised that the card just cost more money than the green card with no sensible benefits, so I went back to green. Sure I could borrow money against it no questions ask. What amused my (and still does) is that having shown that I can manage money (never had a late payment in 40 years) they still offer deals where I can get a better card and pay only 14% interest. Anyone who can manage money knows that you never pay interest on a credit card, which is twice the cost of other readily available sources.

My recommendation is don't be conned into cards that offer an ego trip and will just cost more money.

I have just been approached by AMEX to get a new card with additional QFF points (I already have 1.1 million points - don't know if I can use them faster than I get them). I am assured that this card will cost no more. Haven't checked it out yet. Anyone know anything about it? mainly, does it cost more money.

Personally I would be happier if Amex would cut out all the costly overheads - insurance etc - and just make it a simple card with lower fees to it was more acceptable around the world. I don't know why I still use them.

straitman

Flights
My Map
rhjames said:
I have just been approached by AMEX to get a new card with additional QFF points (I already have 1.1 million points - don't know if I can use them faster than I get them). I am assured that this card will cost no more. Haven't checked it out yet. Anyone know anything about it? mainly, does it cost more money.
I'm happy to become a relative if you wish to transfer me some points :!: :oops: :D :idea:

rhjames

straitman said:
I'm happy to become a relative if you wish to transfer me some points :!: :oops: :D :idea:
Sorry - retiring next year and expect to put them to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisa16_rose