AMEX Application Process Failures + Contact

CaptainCurtis

Established Member
Strange one for the community - I applied for a Platinum AMEX on Sunday. Completed the application form online, but was never asked for my non-base income (e.g. investments), assets, liabilities or expenses. The application submitted without issue, generating an application number. I called for an update on Monday and was told my application had been declined.

Since then I've spent ~5 hours on the phone to their incompetent new cards team - they informed me my application had been declined because of my financial information. Well, no surprise really given that I was never asked for my assets, liabilities, expenses etc. I spent time giving them the revised information, but do not have any confidence that they will re-assess the application given it was auto-declined. I am also not happy that I now have a decline on my credit file, a decline that is not on its merits but a reflection of the failure of their application process.

I have just tried to do another dummy application, and again it has not asked for any of this information. I will share a screen recording in the comments.

Has anyone experienced this before? And does anyone know how I can escalate this beyond their new cards team, who have been of no assistance thus far?

Last edited:
Link to screen recording of a dummy application - the only financial information I am asked for is my base salary.

I got approved last week for the platinum card, all they asked was personal details and salary and I was approved almost immediately. Didn’t ask to send proof or anything. My understanding is that they require a credit score of 600 minimum and combined with salary, it seems that’s enough for them to assess.

The funny things is today I was declined by Red Energy for electricity account 😂 when there is absolutely nothing wrong with my file

Exactly the same application as yours, first credit check for pre-approval and then final approval after salary details are entered

Their credit team is really weird. I've applied for explorer, plat edge last year, all rejected, no reason provided, just saying overall assessment. While my salary are way above the requirements.

And I applied platinum Feb this year, instant approval. No documents checked, no bank statement, nothing. Got my card a week later in my mailbox...

Maybe try again after couple of month.

Just include investment income as part of your salary income. Credit card providers don't seem to care about assets.
They care about liabilities and expenses though, and assets when you are declaring investment income.

Anyway, I've emailed the MD for Australia, lets see if I get a response.

My application was the same as yours. I don't recall being asked anything besides my own and weirdly, my partner's income. No liabilities, assets or anything else. It wasn't instantly approved though - took about 48 hours for approval but no additional information requested.

I just went through my application.
No different to yours other than the fact I added my other Amex card number for them to check my spending/payment history.
I was approved on the spot.

I applied for Platinum Business on Friday, got the usual application email 12 hours later.
Been 2+ business days and haven't heard anything from them - no calls, SMS & email.
I've applied for few personal Amex's over the past few years and the experience has been pretty quick.
Not sure if they take longer for Business cards or I have just been declined and its matter of days before I receive the dreaded declined letter in the mailbox.

Nope, but eventually got the card approved by raising a complaint with AFCA. It actually got sorted pretty quickly once I shared the video with them.
That's good to know... it's incredibly frustrating when an algorithm denies you without a chance to deal with a (competent) human!

My application this week for the Platinum charge card was rejected based on credit report. Checked out mycreditfile.com.au as they suggested. Credit score excellent at 800+, cancelled credit cards from Citi and ANZ show as closed. Well above income threshold. Only thing I can think is that my new car loan is the issue. Car was delayed 6+months, and loan pre-approval process has created a few entries on the report.

AMEX supply a postal address if I want to write and correct errors in credit report, but is there any point in calling them and asking for a review? Or am I more likely to get approved for a different AMEX card?

Hello (first-time poster, long-time reader),
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in a new thread - I was looking into getting an Amex card and wanted to know if there should be a minimum number of months that I should wait in between credit applications/enquiries to improve my chances of success?

(I meet the minimum income requirements, have a healthy credit score, started a credit card earlier this year and have never missed a repayment. I don't want to be rejected for applying too soon.)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I was declined last month for a Velocity Platinum Amex card. Similar to others, heard nothing until a letter arrived stating it was due to my credit rating and other factors. Given my credit rating is >950 and salary is well over the necessary threshold, I wonder whether “other factors” may include noticing that I’ve churned two Amex cards previously over the past 6 years. They would have actually lost money on me seeing as I redeemed the flight credits and lounge passes that come with some of their cards, as well as pocketing tens or hundred of thousands of points of course. Perhaps the house doesn’t like it when it loses….

I was declined last month for a Velocity Platinum Amex card. Similar to others, heard nothing until a letter arrived stating it was due to my credit rating and other factors. Given my credit rating is >950 and salary is well over the necessary threshold, I wonder whether “other factors” may include noticing that I’ve churned two Amex cards previously over the past 6 years. They would have actually lost money on me seeing as I redeemed the flight credits and lounge passes that come with some of their cards, as well as pocketing tens or hundred of thousands of points of course. Perhaps the house doesn’t like it when it loses….
If you refinanced your mortgage within last 12 months before you apply, then AMEX will most likely decline your application even if you are an existing customer with them. They can also see how many credit cards you have applied within last 5 years, and I think their assessment model is a bit different as other major banks, eg. AMEX doesn't ask any other assets you hold.

If you refinanced your mortgage within last 12 months before you apply, then AMEX will most likely decline your application
Ahhh. That’ll explain it then. Well, not really seeing as the reason for refinancing was to reduce my repayments and increase discretionary spending…but processes are processes I suppose!

Let me share my weird experience as well.

I applied for a Platinum edge card that got approved. Then I saw that I am eligible for Platinum as well so called them to ask if they can upgrade me. They asked me to put in a new application and said that since you got approved for a credit card, you will probably get approved for platinum as well. He wasn't sure though. He said he'll be monitoring my application personally as well and once I get the Platinum card then I can close the Platinum edge.

My credit score is over 800 so I was certain it will get approved. I called them a couple of days later and they said it was unsuccessful. Now I don't want to use edge and not sure if making a new application for Platinum would be a good idea. Also, my credit score went down to 735 after 2 checks in a span of 3 days.

What do you guys think I should do? Do they review? @CaptainCurtis What complain did you make to AFCA?

Last edited:
I thought that you could only make an application to Amex every 6 months much like Citi. That might be why you got declined for the second application. Sounds like you’re stuck with edge for at least the next 6 months unless Amex reconsider. An AFCA complaint may force their hand in giving you what you want. I don’t have any personal experience of it but believe threatening it should be enough to get them to come to the table. It costs them a minimum of $10k whether or not they win if it gets to AFCA when just giving you what you want is a lot less expensive. Doesn’t mean they’ll see the logic in that.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back