AMEX Application Process Failures + Contact

CaptainCurtis

Strange one for the community - I applied for a Platinum AMEX on Sunday. Completed the application form online, but was never asked for my non-base income (e.g. investments), assets, liabilities or expenses. The application submitted without issue, generating an application number. I called for an update on Monday and was told my application had been declined.

Since then I've spent ~5 hours on the phone to their incompetent new cards team - they informed me my application had been declined because of my financial information. Well, no surprise really given that I was never asked for my assets, liabilities, expenses etc. I spent time giving them the revised information, but do not have any confidence that they will re-assess the application given it was auto-declined. I am also not happy that I now have a decline on my credit file, a decline that is not on its merits but a reflection of the failure of their application process.

I have just tried to do another dummy application, and again it has not asked for any of this information. I will share a screen recording in the comments.

Has anyone experienced this before? And does anyone know how I can escalate this beyond their new cards team, who have been of no assistance thus far?

Last edited:

CaptainCurtis

Link to screen recording of a dummy application - the only financial information I am asked for is my base salary.

Damotion

I got approved last week for the platinum card, all they asked was personal details and salary and I was approved almost immediately. Didn’t ask to send proof or anything. My understanding is that they require a credit score of 600 minimum and combined with salary, it seems that’s enough for them to assess.

The funny things is today I was declined by Red Energy for electricity account 😂 when there is absolutely nothing wrong with my file

Exactly the same application as yours, first credit check for pre-approval and then final approval after salary details are entered

jhy1998

Their credit team is really weird. I've applied for explorer, plat edge last year, all rejected, no reason provided, just saying overall assessment. While my salary are way above the requirements.

And I applied platinum Feb this year, instant approval. No documents checked, no bank statement, nothing. Got my card a week later in my mailbox...

Maybe try again after couple of month.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Just include investment income as part of your salary income. Credit card providers don't seem to care about assets.

CaptainCurtis

Just include investment income as part of your salary income. Credit card providers don't seem to care about assets.
They care about liabilities and expenses though, and assets when you are declaring investment income.

Anyway, I've emailed the MD for Australia, lets see if I get a response.

Actos

My application was the same as yours. I don't recall being asked anything besides my own and weirdly, my partner's income. No liabilities, assets or anything else. It wasn't instantly approved though - took about 48 hours for approval but no additional information requested.

fastandloose

I just went through my application.
No different to yours other than the fact I added my other Amex card number for them to check my spending/payment history.
I was approved on the spot.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..