altitude increases reward points reqd retrospectively

Discussion in 'Westpac Altitude Rewards' started by kristo, Oct 5, 2004.

1. kristo

kristo Intern

Feb 23, 2003
    I have been advised that Westpac have increased the number of points required for voucher redemption from 12500 per $100 to 15000 per $100
    retrospectively from 1st Oct .
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Was this the stunt that got NAB in trouble for a few months ago?

2. redrat

redrat Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Vic
    Hell :(
    That must be why I couldn't get access all weekend. :evil:

3. mainlander

mainlander Newbie

Nov 5, 2004
    Naughty people devaluing points

Just found this out today (wish I knew about frequent flyer gazette before). I think their euphemism is points dilution!!!

Anyway I've logged a complaint with Westpac as the Altitude people wouldn't even talk about it with me.

Having just had $560 devalued to $500 I'm quite annoyed.

I guess they only do it because they know they can get away with it. Personally I haven't forgotten the Ansett Rewards debacle, so unless I get my bucks back next week, I shall be stopping at one of the myriad non Altitude booths at the airport and changing all my accounts.

4. donjsimons

donjsimons Junior Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I change my Altitude points into Qantas ff points as soon as possible, as I deeply distrust the banks after the Ansett affair.
    There is an old Chinese proverb which is worth remembering:

"Do it now"

5. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    But wasn't the main problem with the Ansett affair the fact that it was the airline that disappeared?

6. albatross710

albatross710 Established Member

May 15, 2004
    Brisbane
    I thought I was the only one sensitve over how Westpac handled the Ansett points demise.

This year has seen quite an erosion in the value of purchasing on the Westpac Altitude Visa for accumulating points. First to 1:0.5 Qantas points and now the dilution of the redemption points.

Since last Monday I've moved as much purchasing as possible over to Amex.

Unforunately all banks rely on the latency in the market while they slowly degrade the value of their program, eventually relaunching a new one to attract us back again.