Airlines eye new slots at Haneda (Tokyo)

Maca44

Established Member
Contacted
I do have a connecting flight in NRT (with less than half the connection time now required). Was told by Qantas that their request for accommodation on my behalf was rejected by JAL, and I should contact JAL directly to get them to put something in writing that I could use to claim the costs on travel insurance.

Called JAL and explained the situation (noting that it wasn't particularly fair that their changes are costing me, and that I wasn't offered any same day alternatives) and got told no dice again, but they would call me back once they got a letter for my insurance authorized.

Got a call back shortly after saying they will now pay for accommodation - up to 15,000 JPY pppn. I need to book and pay for it myself, then give the receipt at the check in counter to be reimbursed.
Contacted Qantas, but they say it is up to Japan Airlines to accommodate by 24hr layover as it was JAL who removed flights into NRT. (This is also an award tix using QF points on a JAL flight) So, can't get any flights into NRT and out of there to SEA. JAL has flights into HND, but no flights from there to SEA, and any flights into HND do not allow time to connect with flights out of NRT. Will try again with JAL in a few days and maybe speak with someone with some commonsense.

AIRwin

Established Member
Solutions
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Looks like QF has scheduled the first MEL-HND flight on 7 June...

Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Himeno

Established Member
Solutions
Very optimistic of them! I wonder who the target market is? Japanese tourists who are not allowed into Australia? Australian tourists who are not allowed into Japan?
Inbound tourism into Japan is allowed, provided the incoming passenger has not been in one of the 90 odd listed nations/regions within the prior 14 days (of which Australia is one), though off hand, I can't think of any way to get to Japan that doesn't require going through one of the listed areas, except maybe a 15 day trip on a boat. The only people barred from Japanese entry are people with Chinese passports issued in Hubei or Zhejiang Provinces.

There have been some events cancelled through December.
No end date to the bans is yet listed. The current end date for the Japanese state of emergency is May 31, though it has already been extended once from May 6. Once the state of emergency is over, they may add a end date to the bans.

Matt_01

Established Member
Out of curiosity what happened to the slot that was allocated to VA? As they have no aircraft to operate the flights can QF apply to get the VA slot reallocated, I think QF originally wanted both.

jakeseven7

Solutions
Out of curiosity what happened to the slot that was allocated to VA? As they have no aircraft to operate the flights can QF apply to get the VA slot reallocated, I think QF originally wanted both.

Rex could hop there on their 737, they seem to be be chopping and changing their plans every 5 seconds ;)

VA2 - no chance. Been overseas and have been incinerated multiple times.

GlennT

About the Haneda slots, I read an interesting possibility on a blog today- ANA doing Adelaide Haneda. Not likely but interesting idea.

Not so farfetched! ANA might have done their homework and discovered how many Japan-bound South Australian (not just Adelaide) passengers are forced to connect in MEL or SYD. Could also open up a new market.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Solutions

At the last extension, both Qantas and Virgin had been given until 31 Mar to utilise their slot. Not sure what will happen, but my guess will that both will get a six month extension.

Matt_01

Established Member
At the last extension, both Qantas and Virgin had been given until 31 Mar to utilise their slot. Not sure what will happen, but my guess will that both will get a six month extension.
I have been searching for flights to Japan in early 22, from the results it would appear that QF25/26 will be running as it was pre covid and QF61/62 will be using the slot at HND. QF79/80 which was originally slated for the HND slot seems to have dropped off the schedule for the time being.

soorox

I have been searching for flights to Japan in early 22, from the results it would appear that QF25/26 will be running as it was pre covid and QF61/62 will be using the slot at HND. QF79/80 which was originally slated for the HND slot seems to have dropped off the schedule for the time being.

I'm not sure what you are looking at, but MEL-HND is there in the schedules, might be MEL and BNE sharing the same slot.

But anything can still change, nothing is set in concrete, especially during these times.

Matt_01

Established Member
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but MEL-HND is there in the schedules, might be MEL and BNE sharing the same slot.

But anything can still change, nothing is set in concrete, especially during these times.
I stand corrected I can see that QF79/80 should be operating on most days and it seems that it does not operate on Saturdays which is the day I was looking to fly out on and hence was only day I was looking at. Not sure if this was the same pre covid. I think you are correct around the slot sharing as on the days QF61 operates QF79 does not and vica versa.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterwilliams83