Airlines eye new slots at Haneda (Tokyo) | Page 10 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Airlines eye new slots at Haneda (Tokyo)

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Vancouver - JL18
A quick look shows that the options would be to send you via one of the QF NRT flights with a 60-70 min connection at NRT, via the JL MEL flight with ~11 hours in NRT, or via a US west coast hub like LAX, SFO or SEA then connect to AS to YVR (which would require a US visa or ESTA and transit through US CBP)

Maca44

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Where did you hear this? I have an 80 minute transfer in NRT that's doomed if this is the case...
Received a sms at 5am this morning that my flights to NRT next year had changed. I was on JL772 from SYD-NRT then with a one hour transit, next flight out of NRT was JL68 to SEA. The JL068 flight is the more important than anything else as I have arrangements made meeting others who are flying into SEA that morning, then driving east to Spokane.

So, this text advised that my SYD-NRT (772) has been changed to SYD-HND (JL52) with approximately the same arrival time as 772. As you can see I have no hope in hell of connecting to NRT in an hour, so rang QF as these two were award flights. They were unable to find any flights with award seats that would get me to NRT in time to connect with JL 68 to SEA.

No problem, so asked them to check the day before into HND and I would stay overnight and fly out of NRT the following day as per my booking. Alas, there were no award J seats anywhere in the previous four days. Therefore, I am now booked SYD-BNE-NRT the day prior to that when I was previously booked, have to stay overnight and fly to SEA the following day. The QF assistant (who I might add was doing her best) advised that because the flights had been changed; that I would have to overnight at Tokyo, she would place an entry on the booking advising so.

Q. As an award booking through QF, but on JAL flights, I assume I should contact JAL to determine if they would compensate with hotel accommodation. I don't need to look around Tokyo as I will be back there a month after for just over a week, and my return flight out of Tokyo has already been changed to HND, and that's probably more convenient for me.

michaelangelo

Flights
My Map
Same story for me today. The QFF guy said he'd make a request to JAL for accommodation to be provided. They've already rejected it and we were advised to contact them directly to get that in writing and make a claim on insurance.

We got lucky, the flight into HND the day before was available and we've had the change ticketed (although they did initially try and charge the extra points and taxes for splitting the trip up). We're wait-listed for the return trip (arriving a day later than planned) at the moment, JAL have to approve the seats being released. I was hoping we'd be offered one of the QF flights via MEL of BNE so we could still get home the same day, but "nothing available".

Been told not to expect an answer from JAL for at least a week...

Last edited:

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Has there been any announcement from QF on how they will operate their new slot. We have all read what VA will offer, NH and JL will offer SYD-HND just interested to know what their plans are.

Maca44

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Update, checked on QF site and noted an award J flight on JAL to HND the day prior to my previously booked flights, so QF changed my SYD-BNE-NRT to now SYD-HND. It was an awared tix so no sense in taking extra flight if I don't have to as no status or points in any event. Don't know what happened when the QF call centre was unable to find any J awards when they first checked .. Although michaelangelo said JAL has already rejected his request for accommodation assistance, it don't know if he had connecting flights out of NRT as in my case, so will contact them in the next week or so.

michaelangelo

Flights
My Map
Although michaelangelo said JAL has already rejected his request for accommodation assistance, it don't know if he had connecting flights out of NRT as in my case, so will contact them in the next week or so.
I do have a connecting flight in NRT (with less than half the connection time now required). Was told by Qantas that their request for accommodation on my behalf was rejected by JAL, and I should contact JAL directly to get them to put something in writing that I could use to claim the costs on travel insurance.

Called JAL and explained the situation (noting that it wasn't particularly fair that their changes are costing me, and that I wasn't offered any same day alternatives) and got told no dice again, but they would call me back once they got a letter for my insurance authorized.

Got a call back shortly after saying they will now pay for accommodation - up to 15,000 JPY pppn. I need to book and pay for it myself, then give the receipt at the check in counter to be reimbursed.

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I have found JL and QF to be reasonable about these changes. I posted elsewhere but the overall summary, once requested JL moved us from JL3 to JL5 and then QF released seats on QF26 so we did not have to may our way HND-NRT. We were a bit fortunate that CX flights were available so JL switched to CX without questions asked.

I suspect during the JL transition period from NRT to HND JL will be accomodating in making changes, providing options, accomodation etc. NH is most likely to be the same.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJP1961