Advice: Points for Credit Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberdog100

Intern
Hi all, I'm thinking about doing the 130,000 points for $1,000 cash redemption, because I need the cash (property purchase) but was wondering if anyone knows of any special offers for cash redemptions either current or coming up in the next few weeks?

I know points for cash is not the best value use of points, but its either do that or make a cash advance to cover the shortfall between savings and approved loan amount, in which case I think its better to use the points!!

I know there was a 25% discount promo for cash redemptions around Christmas last year, but didn't bother with it at the time since I was in no desperate need for cash.

Ring up and ask if there is a special .... !

I'm not aware of any at the moment, as I haven't been sent any postcards recently, but give the phone a try ..

I would save your points dearly if you can !! Borrow the money off your parents or someone I say ;)

Thanks for the tip, I called and tried to see if they'd offer something better but no go, they said they can only offer what's currently in the system. I will probably try to avoid cashing out the points but not sure yet.

Hi all, I'm thinking about doing the 130,000 points for $1,000 cash redemption, because I need the cash (property purchase) but was wondering if anyone knows of any special offers for cash redemptions either current or coming up in the next few weeks?

I know points for cash is not the best value use of points, but its either do that or make a cash advance to cover the shortfall between savings and approved loan amount, in which case I think its better to use the points!!
Funny you ask this question as I needed $1,000 urgently today to pay voluntary tax as I have managed to complete tax returns for 2004-2007 and it looks like I haven't paid enough tax in 2006-2007. I decided on a cash advance of $1,000 and pay interest rather than waste 130,000 points which could go a long way towards 3 return trips to Thailand....

John remember to have a taxable income in 2008 even if you don't claim every expense.Otherwise Kev saves your $900......

John remember to have a taxable income in 2008 even if you don't claim every expense.Otherwise Kev saves your $900......
And here in lies the problem. In order to pay tax one needs to earn >$13,500/pa.

COnsider looking for gift card rewards on special eg. How much petrol do you use each week / month eg. is redeeming for a fuel card or groceries card better use of point? But only if you were going to spend the money anyway.

And here in lies the problem. In order to pay tax one needs to earn >$13,500/pa.

Can you get there by returning income and dont bother with some expenses as there are no rules on the expense claiming side.

I am banking on you as we paid our taxes yesterday just for you.

Can you get there by returning income and dont bother with some expenses as there are no rules on the expense claiming side.
I will see what I can do. Perhaps I did some work in 2008 but have forgotten about it. ;)

I am banking on you as we paid our taxes yesterday just for you.
I pay more than my fair share of taxes and have been for most of my working life....

COnsider looking for gift card rewards on special eg. How much petrol do you use each week / month eg. is redeeming for a fuel card or groceries card better use of point? But only if you were going to spend the money anyway.

Good suggestion, thanks. Checked and it was only I think Freedom furniture and some other jewellery shop vouchers with discounts, not really helpful. I think I might just do a cash advance on my Citibank visa, they have a promo of 9.99% for 12 months, paying some interest is probably better value than sacrificing my points which can be used for some flights later on!

Gee Cyberdog we all value our points differently.
If you only want to travel in economy the points are barely worth a cent each.
If you use them for business class or better the points are worth at least 4 cents each.
Getting a short term low cost loan could work pretty well thru a low cost credit card.

10000pts -> $100 AUD in forex -> ??USD -> AUD
you probably lose 9% in the spread, but better than gift cards.

... If yo0u only want to travel in economy the 3.95points are barely worth a cent each.
If you use them for business class or better the points are worth at least 4 cents each. ...
A QFF oneworld 140/280/420K award may compare to a 34000 mile oneworld Global explorer.

Ex Oz, that $4.3K, $11.2 and $16.7 respectively.

So in relative terms, that's 3.1, 4.0 and 3.9 ¢/point.

Well, I ended up selling a lot of stuff on eBay and kept my points instead, I think that was the best option possible!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back