Access to BA First Class Lounges | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Access to BA First Class Lounges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottiedee

Newbie
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
1
Does anyone know if the British Airways policy if different in areas of the world when it comes to lounge access? I’m a Platinum member so Emerald on the one world alliance.

I was traveling from Miami to London last week on BA, checked in and preceded to the First Class lounge only to be refused access and send to the Business class lounge. When I questioned the lady, she said that I was only allowed access to the business lounge.

Scottie
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
Have heard of similar stories at BA F lounges before - I suspect they'll spin any old story during busy periods. True "dragons" it seems.

As JohnK suggested - it's a good idea to have a printout of that page with you. Won't guarantee you entry, but it can't hurt.

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,265
Flights
My Map
G'day Scottiedee, welcome to AFF. :D

It been posted many times on the FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community that the "Lounge Dragons" for the BA MIA lounges are seemingly either non conversant with the rules or simply wish to ignore them.

It seems that you need to make it clear to them that 1) You are A Qantas oneworld Emerald and 2) as such have a right to use that lounge.

Take the others advice and, in future, bring along a copy of the rules. I know I will should the situation arise.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
The lounge agent was wrong. You may like to write to BA and inform them of your experience.

The only reason to refuse access to the F lounge is if there is a capacity issue that day. But note that BA lounge staff at MIA have created this hard-line approach due to a significant number of AA passengers fronting up with Qantas Platinum cards and wanting to use the FLounge prior to an AA domestic flight. Now the rules should permit such access, but the BA staff are protective of their lounge and don't want those AA flyers using it when they "should" be using the AAdvantage lounge.

Now, given the choice of BA FLounge or AAdvantage lounge, which do you think an informed passenger is going to choose?
 

alect

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
351
NM said:
The lounge agent was wrong. You may like to write to BA and inform them of your experience.

The only reason to refuse access to the F lounge is if there is a capacity issue that day. But note that BA lounge staff at MIA have created this hard-line approach due to a significant number of AA passengers fronting up with Qantas Platinum cards and wanting to use the FLounge prior to an AA domestic flight. Now the rules should permit such access, but the BA staff are protective of their lounge and don't want those AA flyers using it when they "should" be using the AAdvantage lounge.

Now, given the choice of BA FLounge or AAdvantage lounge, which do you think an informed passenger is going to choose?
I had a similar experience last Saturday at IAD :evil:. Did not want to cause a scene with the lounge dragon, but have since written to both OneWorld and BA re curtailing of my benefits and asking for a clear statement to both me and the lounge attendant and duty manager - I will be in IAD again in 3 weeks and will again be wanting to access the BA lounge.
 

spiggy_topes

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
160
Mind you, you may not have missed much. Don't know what MIA is like, but was in the F lounge at LHR T4 last month on a Sunday morning. Turned up after a heavy evening hoping for some peace and quiet and a shower, but no chance - could barely find a place to sit down (and this was with an F ticket). Crowding is a major issue!

Compare this to the Emirates First lounge at Gatwick - huge, spacious, quiet. What a difference.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
spiggy_topes said:
Mind you, you may not have missed much. Don't know what MIA is like, but was in the F lounge at LHR T4 last month on a Sunday morning. Turned up after a heavy evening hoping for some peace and quiet and a shower, but no chance - could barely find a place to sit down (and this was with an F ticket). Crowding is a major issue!

Compare this to the Emirates First lounge at Gatwick - huge, spacious, quiet. What a difference.
With an F ticket shouldnt you have had access to the Concorde Room - or was it a non-BA flight?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
spiggy_topes said:
Mind you, you may not have missed much. Don't know what MIA is like, but was in the F lounge at LHR T4 last month on a Sunday morning. Turned up after a heavy evening hoping for some peace and quiet and a shower, but no chance - could barely find a place to sit down (and this was with an F ticket). Crowding is a major issue!
Unlikely to be similar situation in MIA since there is only one flight departure at a time from MIA on BA, while there are often large numbers of flights in a short timeframe from LHR T4.

A paid F ticket (or even an upgrade if you have the F boarding pass) on BA or QF will get you into the Concorde room, which is only for F passengers, not OneWorld Emeralds in J or Y. The FLounge is downstairs and the Concorde room is on the main terminal level, and the J lounge is upstairs.
 

spiggy_topes

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
160
NM said:
A paid F ticket (or even an upgrade if you have the F boarding pass) on BA or QF will get you into the Concorde room, which is only for F passengers, not OneWorld Emeralds in J or Y. The FLounge is downstairs and the Concorde room is on the main terminal level, and the J lounge is upstairs.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I did get the impression the lounge was full of business travellers in J or Y. BA handed out a survey on the plane and it was really the only part of the service one could fault.
 

Hawkeye

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
397
alect said:
I had a similar experience last Saturday at IAD :evil:. Did not want to cause a scene with the lounge dragon, but have since written to both OneWorld and BA re curtailing of my benefits and asking for a clear statement to both me and the lounge attendant and duty manager - I will be in IAD again in 3 weeks and will again be wanting to access the BA lounge.
I must admit I didn't even bother trying to gain access to the BA lounge at IAD yesterday - cut my losses, picked up my drinks vouchers, and spent a pleasant hour in the AA lounge. Very soothing experience after SFO where I am sure they were trying to beat a world record for fitting the most people into the smallest space possibe. And I thought BNE QP was bad enough!!

We can all hope that CX in HKG don't adopt BA's attitude!:shock:
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
After reading this thread, I have printed out the link to the oneworld longe access conditions and am keeping it in my diary (yes I still have a paper diary!). I am not going get defeated by BA lounge dragons (like I almost was by a check-in dragon regarding the extra luggage allowance once). Thinking of which, I recommend you guys print out the extra luggage allowance if flying on QF from LHR. Some check-in staff appear to be reluctant to give you the extra to 'status' QFFers.
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
I have been told previously by BA that if denied legitimate entry to a lounge to advise the staff member to contact the (BA?) OneWorld Helpdesk for clarification.

Havn't had a chance to use that yet, but imagine it will be received with the same glee as telling them that their glossy sheet is wrong.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,265
Flights
My Map
Their sheets are not wrong, it's just the dragons sometimes choose to misinterpret them!

I have links to them somewhere; I'll try to dig them up....
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
serfty said:
Their sheets are not wrong, it's just the dragons sometimes choose to misinterpret them!

I have links to them somewhere; I'll try to dig them up....
and refuse to admit their existence :evil:

where's that link (sorry not on usual computer so take a bit to dig it up again - I really should save my bookmarks somewhere web accessible)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,254
Messages
1,873,738
Members
49,109
Latest member
holmes182
Top