A few Amex questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR09WA

Hi Guys,

Thinking of going down the Platinum Charge route, but haven't made my mind up if suits yet!!

I rang the Platinum number only to get someone with a very heavy accent and quite frankly couldn't understand her, bit of a shame really as when I ring the Qantas Discovery card number I always get someone in Australia..

So I still have a few unanswered questions, before I commit.

What is the best complementary credit card to link to the charge card that can be used for Qantas points?

Amex sent me an invite to apply for the Platinum Charge, my only reservations are, I applied for 4 credit cards last november in quick succession and I have only been with Amex since november 2011 with the Qantas discovery card, will this effect my application?

Whats the general feel, is 3 or 4 months enough between card applications?

And would they send a invite with out looking at my Discovery account? I have put quite a bit of $ thru this card since november so maybe thats why they sent the invite! not sure I really don't want to apply then get knocked back for to many applications.

I maybe a bit paranoid from all the stories I hear..

Would they offer someone to jump straight from the discovery card to the Platinum charge?

I am very happy with AMEX Ultimate as you can get the annual fee eliminated by flying to say Sydney return for free.
It is uncapped and gets you 1.5 points on everything and 2.5 points for Qantas expenses.
Platinum gets you reasonable travel insurance and a minor chance of help thru their Platinum help desk.
If you like doing your own thing then Platinum would be less valuable than someone who is more needing their hand held.

I am very happy with AMEX Ultimate as you can get the annual fee eliminated by flying to say Sydney return for free.
It is uncapped and gets you 1.5 points on everything and 2.5 points for Qantas expenses.
Platinum gets you reasonable travel insurance and a minor chance of help thru their Platinum help desk.
If you like doing your own thing then Platinum would be less valuable than someone who is more needing their hand held.

I also have an Amex Ultimate. As has been discussed on AFF previously, the 'free' return trip to SYD, MEL or ADL makes it good value for someone in PER.

The Amex Ultimate is even better if you get the annual fees waived and still get the free return flight :)

Hi Guys,

Thinking of going down the Platinum Charge route, but haven't made my mind up if suits yet!!

I rang the Platinum number only to get someone with a very heavy accent and quite frankly couldn't understand her, bit of a shame really as when I ring the Qantas Discovery card number I always get someone in Australia..

So I still have a few unanswered questions, before I commit.

What is the best complementary credit card to link to the charge card that can be used for Qantas points?

Amex sent me an invite to apply for the Platinum Charge, my only reservations are, I applied for 4 credit cards last november in quick succession and I have only been with Amex since november 2011 with the Qantas discovery card, will this effect my application?

Whats the general feel, is 3 or 4 months enough between card applications?

And would they send a invite with out looking at my Discovery account? I have put quite a bit of $ thru this card since november so maybe thats why they sent the invite! not sure I really don't want to apply then get knocked back for to many applications.

I maybe a bit paranoid from all the stories I hear..

Would they offer someone to jump straight from the discovery card to the Platinum charge?
Have a look at this thread :

Platinum Card, what do I get for $900.

The Amex Platinum reserve card goes with the Platinum Charge card. The points from both cards pool into the 'Ascent Premium' account which can later on be transferred to many places incl Qantas or Virgin Australia.

From experience with Amex I would allow at least 3 months between applications.

Sounds good. Are you able to share how the waiving of the fee can be achieved?
See:
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....rds/qantas-amex-ultimate-card-free-18306.html
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....rewards/qf-amex-ultimate-card-does-30519.html
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....tas-american-express-ultimate-card-21983.html

For me, I ring up and say that I want to cancel the card. When asked why, I say that I have an ANZ QFF Platinum that came with my mortgage which has the same points earn as the Amex Ultimate and I can't justify the $450 annual fee. Then they offer to waive the annual fee. Simple as that.

Note that it seems Amex actively monitors ones credit file (if you request your credit file, you'll notice that Amex queries it monthly) so they can see what other credit cards you have.

Have a look at this thread :

Platinum Card, what do I get for $900.

The Amex Platinum reserve card goes with the Platinum Charge card. The points from both cards pool into the 'Ascent Premium' account which can later on be transferred to many places incl Qantas or Virgin Australia.

From experience with Amex I would allow at least 3 months between applications.
With the Ascent Account, is it a ordeal to transfer the points?? also there was chat about using the Qantas ultimate card as companion card to plat, when I asked amex they said its possible but you have to pay extra..

I wrote to Amex last weekend to see if i could get the $450 annual fee waived as although I had the card for over four years, I have only claimed the free flight (melbourne to adelaide and retunr only once and in hindsight I could have bought the same ticket cheaper than $450 and trael at the time /day whcih I wpould have preferred....).
I told Amex in the event I am unsuccessful in getting the annual fee waived I would consider closing the account..
I did get a very prompt reply which in short said "sorry we cannot waive the fee ..." and then it went on to list the other benefits of the card..etec etc.
Anyway, having just read the recent comments on this website re Amex waivin gthe fee I am going to ring them next week and continue to take up my qust for teh fee to be waived.

See:
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....rds/qantas-amex-ultimate-card-free-18306.html
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....rewards/qf-amex-ultimate-card-does-30519.html
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....tas-american-express-ultimate-card-21983.html

For me, I ring up and say that I want to cancel the card. When asked why, I say that I have an ANZ QFF Platinum that came with my mortgage which has the same points earn as the Amex Ultimate and I can't justify the $450 annual fee. Then they offer to waive the annual fee. Simple as that.

Note that it seems Amex actively monitors ones credit file (if you request your credit file, you'll notice that Amex queries it monthly) so they can see what other credit cards you have.

With the Ascent Account, is it a ordeal to transfer the points?? also there was chat about using the Qantas ultimate card as companion card to plat, when I asked amex they said its possible but you have to pay extra..

Once you set up your MR account with all your FF memberships, if you know exactly what you want to do, it'll take less than a minute and transfers are usually completed within 1 business day.

We use a number of accounts, including Plat charge cards with Reserve cards, QF Ultimate and Cent, to maximise points and bonuses/benefits.

Discounting or waiving the lower priced card fees doesn't seem a problem if you have a regular high spend.

I rang Amex on Wednesday. I told them I was going to close my account unless I can get the $450 membership refunded. The reply was 'yes sir, we can refund you annual fee for you today...' I checked my Amex account yesterday and sure enough, it has a credit of $450. Gotta be happy with that:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back