$41 more for J - SYD-MEL?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Febs, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Febs

Febs Established Member

Aug 15, 2006
    HKG
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is a new thing (our corporate TA hadn't seen it before, so I thought it may be), but I went to choose my SYD-MEL-SYD flights in a few weeks, and noticed for certain flights, fully-flexible was $411 (as it usually is), but business was only $452. I've seen this once or twice before, but never for so many flights. In fact, almost all the SYD-MEL flights up to 1pm are $452 for J on this day (a Monday).

Unfortunately our TA's system didn't show the new price (J return was still a $255 increase over Y), so they're currently chasing it up for me. Sounds like a cheap way to build up some SC's IMO. :)

Ordinarily I would've guessed this was old news, but as my TA hadn't heard of it, I thought it may be new?

Cheers,
    - Febs.

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    D Class Tickets!

3. Febs

Febs Established Member

Aug 15, 2006
    HKG
    Ahh, those elusive D fares.

Thanks Serfty. Would've thought our corporate TA would be well aware of them (then again, this is FCM we're talking about....)

Cheers,
    - Febs.

4. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Hey Febs,

Unfortunately we have private fares negotiated with QF that offer us an upfront ~30% discount on a Y or J class fare. This means that at the end of the day, the J fare is only about $25 more each way than the D class fare due to the discount, but indeed makes it $105 more per sector between Y-D and $130 per sector for Y-J.

Thought I had this one played too, but not so. The J is probs better anyway considering the flexibility we tend to need. The FCm team don't tend to know because they're not supposed to book them for us for this reason- Aaron had to ring me back twice to check if they were even allowed to book them. :shock:

Cheers,
    littl_flier

5. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I think you are giving them way too much credit there. I now have a dispensation to book all my travel myself (or via our US corporate desk) because FCM are unable to book the flights I want in the times that I want,

I get around the local travel policy because I am paid for by the US and report to them directly. I get round the US travel policy because I am a long long way from New York ;)

6. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Unfortunately Febs and I probably won't have our expenses paid if we don't book through FCm so we get our rebates. You're a lucky man Mr simongr, thats an auditing hat on there with an A+ for justification and documentation. :p No qualfied opinion there!