kamchatsky

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Frequent Flyer - Earning Points - Qantas American Express Card

Boost your Qantas Frequent Flyer balance by 30,000 points*

Apply for the Qantas American Express Premium Card before 31 July 2007 and you could earn
these unrivalled points bonuses:
img_amex_card_centre.gif
  • 5,000 points after your first Card spend.
  • A further 25,000 points when you spend $1,000 on purchases on your Card before
    31 December 2007.^
You will also receive an ongoing earn rate of 1.25 points for every dollar spent on everyday purchases.
Apply now to take advantage of this strictly limited offer.
Other key Premium Card features and benefits

• No caps on the number of points you can earn.
  • 1 additional point for every dollar spent in Australia on selected Qantas services.+
  • 2,500 additional points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas services.+
  • Travel Insurance# when you purchase travel on your Card.
  • Two Qantas Club invitations~ after your first Card spend every year in Australia on selected Qantas services.+
  • Annual Card fee of $195.
  • Current interest rate of 17.74% pa.
  • Up to 55 days interest free on purchases.**
  • Online Services where you can access your account online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Emergency Card Replacement anywhere in the world usually within 24 hours.
Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express® Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085)® Registered Trademark of American Express Company. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to apply for a Qantas American Express Premium Card. American Express credit approval criteria applies. Terms and conditions, fees, charges & interest rates apply. Correct as at 1 July 2007 and is subject to change.
* You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. A joining fee applies. Membership and points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. Award seats are limited and may not be available on every flight.
^ 25,000 points offer only available to new customers who apply and are approved for the Qantas American Express Premium Card via this online page ONLY. Applications must be received by 31 July 2007. You will receive 25,000 points when you spend A$1,000 on purchases on your Card before 31 December 2007. Allow 6-8 weeks after you have spent A$1,000 for points to be credited to your account.
+ Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased on the Qantas merchant account, that is with Qantas direct or some travel agents, (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops or (c) Qantas Holidays. Excludes: Qantas Freight, Jetstar, Qantas branded non-airfare products operated by third parties for example, Qantas Box Office. Points Terms and Conditions apply, visit fastenyourseatbelts.com.au.
# Insurance Products are arranged through American Express International, Inc. (ABN 15 000 618 208) AFS Licence No. 237996. Subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurances issued by ACE Insurance Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020) AFS Licence No. 239687. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available from us upon request. You should read the appropriate PDS and consider the appropriateness of the insurance in relation to your individual requirements.
~ Invitations are for Premium Cardmembers and are valid for Qantas operated lounges only and are not valid for oneworld® alliance airline, partner airlines lounges or associated lounges. Each invitation is valid for a single visit before the date specified on the invitation when flying with Qantas or Jetstar. Qantas Club rules apply. Product Disclosure Statement and Qantas Club Invitations Conditions apply, available at americanexpress.com.au/premium.
** The credit card gives you up to 55 days interest free on purchases, depending on when your statement is issued, whether you have obtained a balance transfer and whether or not you are carrying forward a balance from the previous statement period. There are no interest free days for cash advances or balance transfers.

I saw this offer yesterday as well, seems very appealing! I'm wondering however, since they've had similar offers for a while now, is it going to get any better or is this as good as its ever been? Used to be 17,500 points with no annual fee in the first year before, but in terms of value I think this is a better deal even with the $195 annual fee being charged in the first year.

It says there that it is for new customers only. I was wanting to get rid of my AMEX Rewards Maximiser (the anniversary date is very close), but I guess that means that I can't apply for this one to replace it.

adrian said:
It says there that it is for new customers only. I was wanting to get rid of my AMEX Rewards Maximiser (the anniversary date is very close), but I guess that means that I can't apply for this one to replace it.

I wasn't sure whether they meant a new Amex customer, or a new Premium card customer.

I assumed it to mean a new Premium card customer. I called Amex and they assured me there would be no problems getting the additional bonus points, so looks good, i've just applied so hopefully all will be good.

oz_mark said:
I wasn't sure whether they meant a new Amex customer, or a new Premium card customer.

It would be a new Premium card customer. I applied when then 17500 points offer was on, I already hold an Amex charge card and credit card and I was issued it without any problems, and earned the points. Just wish I had waited for this offer :evil:

Strange that they push the premium card so much more than the Ultimate card. Maybe that free flight is costing them enough to make the idea of adding a truckload of points not viable.

oz_mark said:
Strange that they push the premium card so much more than the Ultimate card. Maybe that free flight is costing them enough to make the idea of adding a truckload of points not viable.
oz_mark,
Interesting comment. At a difference of 12,500 points it's possibly enough. ie at 1 cent per point equals $125 and at where I normally use points it's considerably more.

straitman said:
... ie at 1 cent per point equals $125 and at where I normally use points it's considerably more.
I would suggest that most people look to use QFF points to travel domestic Oz and they don't look at AFF, FT or any other frequent flyer web site.

In that regard I believe the vast majority of FF point redemptions are at that 1¢ per point level.

So it's really only at the odds.

Myself, $195 for 30K points ... seems a no-brainer. ;)

Last edited:
serfty said:
I would suggest that most people look to use QFF points to travel domestic Oz and they don't look at AFF, FT or any other frequent flyer web site.

In that regard I believe the vast majority of FF point redemptions are at that 1¢ per point level.

So it's really only at the the odds.

Myself, $195 for 30K points ... seems a no-brainer. ;)

Must say I am tempted by this offer...

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear about an approval (or rejection) when applying for a second or subsequent Amex card? I applied on Friday they said it could take around 14 days, but perhaps a bit less because I'm an exisitng Amex cardmember, anyone have any personal experience and can shed some light?

Cyberdog100 said:
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear about an approval (or rejection) when applying for a second or subsequent Amex card? I applied on Friday they said it could take around 14 days, but perhaps a bit less because I'm an exisitng Amex cardmember, anyone have any personal experience and can shed some light?

Can't remember the exact time for me, but it's posted in an earlier Qantas card application thread.

One thing to watch out is that Amex doesn't cancel your old card. They did it twice to me during the application process for a new card... Both times I called and got it re-enabled.

I didn't tick the close existing card box on the web application form, but will definitely keep an eye out for it. My existing card is a fee free Gold so definitely don't want that one closed as i'll be going back to it after i've collected my bonus points :D

I did the same but someone from Amex called me regarding the application and I asked them to make sure that they did not close the fee free Gold card. She said that they were going to close the gold card and issue me with the Qantas Amex premium card. In the end they let me keep the gold card as I do not want all points to go across to QF automatiacally.

I would have thought they'd want you to have more accounts rather than less, as you'd think more accounts = more spend!

Thanks for the heads up, i'll scream at them if they try to close the Gold card!!

Great news! 1 week later and my card's been approved. I applied for both the Rewards Maximiser and Qantas Premium last Friday and received my Rewards Maximiser in the mail yesterday and today while acitivating it was told the Qantas premium has been approved, so I might get that today or Monday.

That's a pretty fast turn around compared to my first application, looks like they are a lot more efficient with existing members than first time applicants. I also didn't get the existing Gold Card cancelled, I made sure of that, however I only got $2000 on my Rewards Maximiser which i wasn't happy about. They took the majority of my Gold Card's limit and put that on the Rewards Max, so I guess that's ok then.

Now let the points roll in!! :D

Cyberdog100 said:
... however I only got $2000 on my Rewards Maximiser which i wasn't happy about....
That was also the limit AMEX gave me when I applied for the RM (I already had an AMEX Gold CC). Was then just a case of ringing and swapping credit limits on the two cards. Have another two months left on the standard gold CC before annual fee is due, so will wait and cancel this card in September. If the 30,000 point offer re-appears I will probably apply.

Shano said:
That was also the limit AMEX gave me when I applied for the RM (I already had an AMEX Gold CC). Was then just a case of ringing and swapping credit limits on the two cards. Have another two months left on the standard gold CC before annual fee is due, so will wait and cancel this card in September. If the 30,000 point offer re-appears I will probably apply.

Must be cos they try to "limit" how much you spend on the RM since its more costly for them to give you that extra half a point per $ spent! But yeah its good that they're willing to swap and reshuffle credit limits so easily.

Cyberdog100 said:
Now let the points roll in!! :D

I think that you will find that the fine print on these new deals states that there are no points for existing card holders.

^ 25,000 points offer only available to new customers who apply and are approved for the Qantas American Express Premium Card via this online page ONLY. Applications must be received by 31 July 2007.

So if you want the points....you must resign....waita while and then grab an offer.

My tactic will be since my wife and I both have AMEXes will be for one to resign. and then later the other once I havae new card....so that we can keep accumaulating spend.

I have an interesting scenario...

I signed up for a QF-branded Amex Premium card when the offer was for one year free, and only recently cancelled the card to avoid the annual fee.

What do you think my chance are of gettting the 30k points if I sign up again? Would I be considered a "new" customer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back