Yet another tax gets added... in France | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Yet another tax gets added... in France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Great! :rolleyes:

Donations to charitable causes should be directly given by the donor, not forced on them by a 3rd party.

I have the same gripe against hotel chains and their $1US / Day "donation" to their charity of choice.

(Oh, and in case anyone thinks I don't donate to charities, you are horribly mistaken. This forum is not the place to discuss this however).

Last edited:

Dave Noble

Kiwi Flyer said:
Another reason not to use Air France for getting around europe.
Why? The tax is for flying out of France , not for flying on AF

Dave

Kiwi Flyer

Dave Noble said:
Why? The tax is for flying out of France , not for flying on AF

Dave
Because most times in Europe I have to connect. I have a choice of hubs to connect in. If I'm going to be fined for connecting in CDG then I can easily choose to connect elsewhere. (Same thing potentially with LHR baggage changes.)

Dave Noble

Kiwi Flyer said:
Because most times in Europe I have to connect. I have a choice of hubs to connect in. If I'm going to be fined for connecting in CDG then I can easily choose to connect elsewhere. (Same thing potentially with LHR baggage changes.)
That is fair enough, but you referred to avoiding Air France, not to avoiding France. I couldn't see the rationale to avoiding AF as a carrier

Dave

Kiwi Flyer

Sorry for not being clearer.

Wonder if flights from BSL/MLH would get the fine? (For those not aware Basel/Mulhouse airport straddles the border of France and Switzerland, and very near the German border also.)

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
At least they have a reasonable "in transit" examption:

" Passengers who make a stopover in France of less than 12 hours, or who stay longer because of delays, are exempt."

Although, I wonder how many TA's / Airlines would automatically not add it for a stopover vs adding it.

NM

Flights
My Map
I wonder if you can claim this donation as a tax deduction? Most of my charitable donations are tax deductible, allowing me to be more generous (i.e. the government is effectively donating almost half of the amount). But somehow I can't see the ATO permitting such a claim for an expense imposed by the French.

Kiwi Flyer

NM said:
I wonder if you can claim this donation as a tax deduction? Most of my charitable donations are tax deductible, allowing me to be more generous (i.e. the government is effectively donating almost half of the amount). But somehow I can't see the ATO permitting such a claim for an expense imposed by the French.
Are you a French taxpayer?

one9

Singling out one industry is not the way to go.

Why chose the airline industry? Why not chose the fuel stations? Or the supermarkets? or people buying new cars?

Assuming people who fly have more money and can spare it for charity is an assumption that may not be correct. A grandma may have saved up for years to be able to take a flight to see her grandchildren in some other part of the country/world.

If a government wants to force a tax or fee on people, it should be put accross all industries or should be based on income.

Dave Noble

one9 said:
If a government wants to force a tax or fee on people, it should be put accross all industries or should be based on income.
Why? France is surely free to tax people in France as it sees fit. At least this tax , unlike the GB tax for leaving Eggland ( which like most airport taxes is not means tested ), is going to some good rather than the treasury coffers

Dave

NM

Flights
My Map
one9 said:
Singling out one industry is not the way to go.

Why chose the airline industry? Why not chose the fuel stations? Or the supermarkets? or people buying new cars?

Assuming people who fly have more money and can spare it for charity is an assumption that may not be correct. A grandma may have saved up for years to be able to take a flight to see her grandchildren in some other part of the country/world.

If a government wants to force a tax or fee on people, it should be put across all industries or should be based on income.
And I suspect a significant number of people flying have their tickets purchased by their employer, so its a stealth tax on corporates as well. I guess the French believe they can grab money from a wider audience than just their own citizens this way. Poor form in my book.

one9

Dave Noble said:
Why? France is surely free to tax people in France as it sees fit. At least this tax , unlike the GB tax for leaving Eggland ( which like most airport taxes is not means tested ), is going to some good rather than the treasury coffers

Dave
I believe airport taxes are generally used to help pay for the airport facilities or to help reimburse the airport owners.

Charity is something that is a very special concept. It is the giving of money, time or other things to people less fortunate. It is a voluntary concept.

Taxes are a different thing. A forced giving of money for shared services and for the elected government to spend in ways they believe benefit the country.

I donate money to charities that I feel like I have some connection with. I won't donate to most charities, but will save my donations for charities that I wish to donate to. The forced donation means that people have to reduce their donations to their chosen charities. This can result in a large inefficient charity that does not have any accountability as they receive money regardless of how they perform or who they help.

If the government wants to give money to charity, they should increase their tax rate or increase their GST/sales tax. They should not single out a single industry and make that industry suffer. Would you like it if the government singled out your industry (assuming u are a small business owner) and only your industry. Making it much harder for you. Most would see this as unfair. Just because most of the airlines are large companies, does not make it not unfair for the government to penalise the airline industry.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a push last year sometime for the implementation of this "poverty alleviation" style tax to be placed on all air tickets in the EU? Something that came out on the celebrity push for greater focus from the G7, 8 (or whatever number it is now) on dealing with world poverty.

bambbbam2

Did anyone else see the woman on Sunrise the other morning?

She has just completed a study of giving and charities in Australia. She made some interesting comments, one I liked is that there are 20 Children's Cancer charities in Oz. Each year in Oz, 600 children are diagnosed with cancer, therefore it works out to 30 per charity - just a bit inefficient!

I guess governments see the traveller as an easy mark.. what's a few $$ added to the fare? :evil:

Yada Yada

Established Member
Dave Noble said:
Just curious... where is Eggland? :mrgreen:

Dave Noble

one9 said:
I believe airport taxes are generally used to help pay for the airport facilities or to help reimburse the airport owners.
There are a number of taxes around that are nothing to do with airport facilities ; there are a number of countries which charge taxes which go straight to the government, the GB tax in UK is a good example of it. An economy class passenger departing UK to go to Oz gets charged GBP20 which goes straight to the government ( as well as other airport taxes )

Dave

serfty

Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
Just curious... where is Eggland? :mrgreen:
I guess it's wot one says when trying to enunciate the word England when one has a cold! :D

(Some times referred to as "the ol' Dart ...")

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinaus