Yet another Qantas DISASTER!!

I was aware of a temporary ban after an issue in Singapore in 2016 which, after further investigation, was downgraded to a warning. I have this in writing. I flew Qantas sporadically after this, and really now fly best fare/schedule of the day, rather than blindly supporting an airline, that time and again, showed it had no respect or loyalty to me. I was not aware of any current ban, until I read the email shortly after I received it at 9;46am on 6 July. I spent HOURS on the phone to Qantas seeking clarification but there was nothing that reservations could see to indicate a ban or restriction. Their advice was to email customer care, which I knew wouldn’t even be received, let alone acted upon, within 36 hours so I genuinely did all I could in the limited time available. I have received nothing further from Qantas since and quite frankly, don’t care to. If the handling of the date change on my partners ticket wasn’t bad enough, this most certainly is. I have zero need or desire to ever fly with this company again. EVER. They aren’t unique, they don’t offer anything particular interesting or exclusive. You can get anywhere and everywhere you need to get to, often in more comfort, speed and value than anything they will ever offer. It appears more and more Australians are finally seeing the light and realising that Qantas is indeed the spirit of Australia. Because the body and mind died a long time ago!
So in summary, your parter’s booking direct through Qantas had issues but was eventually rectified.

Completely unrelated to this, your booking made through an OTA had no issues, but you received a letter apparently in error that referred to an old ban that actually had no effect and you were still able to fly. Again, the letter reminded you of a ban, it clearly did not impose it, but you left out that detail until you posted the full letter.

Frankly I don’t know who/what to believe.

That link is not working if pointing back to 2018 thread.

The behaviour from Qantas for this latest booking as reported by @hmmm is appalling. Asking for more money, bringing up old travel bans, cancelling bookings etc. Sounds exactly the same as the rest of the Qantas issues right now.

FWIW I was with the OP on the old thread.

Yes there is a way to deal with issues but we all deal with them differently.

If I pre-allocate a seat I do not expect to be moved unless the seat is broken or a medical emergency. Talking nice to lounge staff gets you absolutely nowhere. You need to be firm. You need to insist.

Oh and I'd forgotten how badly Qantas was treating me as a Platinum in 2018. Awful.
Thanks @JohnK I have now fixed it.

Appreciate that this is a complex situation. But still I feel for @hmmm going through this stress.

I personally experienced Qantas cancellating my flight and offered an incompatible date. When I managed to call and change my flight to fly via another route on the same day (CS confirmed the change), the tickets never came, but web itinerary reflected the change along with the incompatible one. Called one week before flights to realise it is still pending and may not go through.

Out of stress I accepted the incompatible change of date. But wasted hours on phone and stress. Going on flights is part of the holiday experience, this is seriously stressful.

So in summary, your parter’s booking direct through Qantas had issues but was eventually rectified.

Completely unrelated to this, your booking made through an OTA had no issues, but you received a letter apparently in error that referred to an old ban that actually had no effect and you were still able to fly. Again, the letter reminded you of a ban, it clearly did not impose it, but you left out that detail until you posted the full letter.

Frankly I don’t know who/what to believe.
As far as I was led to believe, the letter advised that I am not allowed to travel and very clearly threatened to ‘tell emirates’ and encouraged me to cancel my 4 month old booking and rebook a new one, one day before travel. The fact it wasnt enforced/imposed wasnt known until I checked and boarded the flight. But the fact remains…. If they had no intention of enforcing it, then why send the letter? If they knew I was travelling, as they clearly did, then they knew I wasn’t travelling on Qantas, just their codeshare. I’m not sure what part, you don’t understand, or which part you don’t know to believe. Because I’ve detailed everything that occurred, including the fact that I ultimately travelled as booked. But it doesnt deny the fact they tried to interfere and deny me travel, likely in circumstances they had no right to do, or had actual control over

Appreciate that this is a complex situation. But still I feel for @hmmm going through this stress.

I personally experienced Qantas cancellating my flight and offered an incompatible date. When I managed to call and change my flight to fly via another route on the same day (CS confirmed the change), the tickets never came, but web itinerary reflected the change along with the incompatible one. Called one week before flights to realise it is still pending and may not go through.

Out of stress I accepted the incompatible change of date. But wasted hours on phone and stress. Going on flights is part of the holiday experience, this is seriously stressful.
This is EXACTLY it.

First international trip post COVID. Thinking you’ve done everything right only to then be blamed by Qantas for their error, 2 days before departure and then told to cancel my ticket, one day before, just left me, and my not so ‘travel savvy’ partner, feeling highly anxious and nervous, discussing what we were going to do if I was denied travel and what we were going to do with our 3 and 4 week holiday that we’d spent months planning , not to mention all the prepaid intra European flights and hotels. It would have been a complete disaster. Even now, in Dubai, I feel on edge that Qantas might take some kind of revenge and cancel the ticket, likely at the last minute, giving me no time to find an alternative solution and having to make a decision wether my partner flies off or stays with me, and then having two problems to fix.

Not having anyone to call at Qantas to seek clarification and being told conflicting information was just frustrating, not to mention being told to email customer (don’t)care for such a serious snd time sensitive matter was just icing on the cake.

I have avoided Qantas until this point, only flying them as a last resort. But after this experience…… they have nothing to worry about. They can ban me for life for all I care. Because as of today, I BAN THEM!

As far as I was led to believe, the letter advised that I am not allowed to travel and very clearly threatened to ‘tell emirates’ and encouraged me to cancel my 4 month old booking and rebook a new one, one day before travel. The fact it wasnt enforced/imposed wasnt known until I checked and boarded the flight. But the fact remains…. If they had no intention of enforcing it, then why send the letter? If they knew I was travelling, as they clearly did, then they knew I wasn’t travelling on Qantas, just their codeshare. I’m not sure what part, you don’t understand, or which part you don’t know to believe. Because I’ve detailed everything that occurred, including the fact that I ultimately travelled as booked. But it doesnt deny the fact they tried to interfere and deny me travel, likely in circumstances they had no right to do, or had actual control over
You didn’t think it was relevant to bring up the fact that you have previously been banned by QF? That email/letter clearly references an existing ban, and the fact you have presented it as evidence to be in retaliation from your partners booking error is quite disingenuous.

I’m not saying you are at fault or that this letter wasn’t in error, but that fact changes everything, at best should be a separate thread (“QF forgot to remove me from the banned list” or something).

Clearly there was bad blood between you and QF even before this happened, and the fact you are/were still flying with them (even on codeshare) is quite extraordinary.

You didn’t think it was relevant to bring up the fact that you have previously been banned by QF? That email/letter clearly references an existing ban, and the fact you have presented it as evidence to be in retaliation from your partners booking error is quite disingenuous.

I’m not saying you are at fault or that this letter wasn’t in error, but that fact changes everything, at best should be a separate thread (“QF forgot to remove me from the banned list” or something).

Clearly there was bad blood between you and QF even before this happened, and the fact you are/were still flying with them (even on codeshare) is quite extraordinary.

Just wow. Multi billion corporation, holding 100% of the power and making 100% of the threats, vs individual customer. And customer behaviour is "quite extraordinary" ? :rolleyes: Very Joycian.

As to 'still flying with them...' What are we supposed to do with the '00s of thousands of points we have accumulated, in good faith over years? More toasters? No, like the OP I'm burning them as fast as I can, mainly on Qantas, as I'm not trusting international Award flying ATM. Then its only as strictly necessary.

Just wow. Multi billion corporation, holding 100% of the power and making 100% of the threats, vs individual customer. And customer behaviour is "quite extraordinary" ? :rolleyes: Very Joycian.

As to 'still flying with them...' What are we supposed to do with the '00s of thousands of points we have accumulated, in good faith over years? More toasters? No, like the OP I'm burning them as fast as I can, mainly on Qantas, as I'm not trusting international Award flying ATM. Then its only as strictly necessary.
Maybe learn from your own experience in other threads and have a good second read of this one with an inquisitive mind.

Why was bringing up the last ban relevant, when it was resolved (I have it in writing) and I’d flown with them after the ban was lifted? How could I have flown on their aircraft if it wasn’t, where they actually have the authority to deny me carriage? So I really fail to see how it was disingenuous to suggest it was retaliatory, when that’s exactly what it looks like. But again….. what would you have me do, receiving such a letter at T-36 hours? Not take it seriously? I genuinely am not here to cause drama. Had I known of a current ban, if one exists, I’d simply have booked the EK flight numbers directly. But I didn’t know. So again…. What would you have me do? One day before peak summer travel?

And the ‘bad blood’ between us is nothing more than me being fed up with their ‘over promises’ and ‘under deliveries’ with regards to matters entirely within their control. I don’t see how flying on a codeshare flight on a Qantas ticket, should expose me to their service failures when, for all intents and purposes, flying on a codeshare is NOT flying Qantas. Emirates treated me better than my last Qantas flights. Priority boarding went smoothly. Priority luggage worked a treat. I was greeted and welcomed onboard by the cabin manager.

As I have said previously…. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I’d already broken the ‘golden shackles’ and moved my flying away from them and all for the better. I can’t think of a single ‘issue’ with a flight operated by an airline other than Qantas, in the last 4 or so years. And that includes flying easyJet 😳.

My first flight ‘back’ with Qantas, and BAM. Instant drama. That’s the part you should be finding ‘quite extraordinary’ and not me innocently booking emirates flights on a Qantas codeshare.

In my case, it’s 1.4 MILLION.

Qantas is just a bully. They think they have the right to treat you appallingly and that you need to thank them for it. Times, however, are changing. Their behaviour and conduct is getting more ‘public’ and people are losing that innate trust they have in the brand and realising there are other, better options out there. Personally, I don’t care what other people do, but Qantas simply doesn’t meet my needs or expectations, which ironically, they themselves, set.

Maybe learn from your own experience in other threads and have a good second read of this one with an inquisitive mind.

Snide and patronising remarks.

As I mentioned - individuals, who sometimes are making their big overseas trip having saved points for years, Vs a billion dollar corporation who treats them with a contemptuous attitde and incompetent call centres - we know very well it happening. As you've proffered some advice to me, may I reciprocate? :) Maybe have a rest from having goes at the customers under duress posting here and have some empathy for them? Or just let a few go through to the keeper. I'm sure Qantas will survive, even if its customers do have their plans and holidays ruined.

Last edited:
Why was bringing up the last ban relevant, when it was resolved (I have it in writing) and I’d flown with them after the ban was lifted? How could I have flown on their aircraft if it wasn’t, where they actually have the authority to deny me carriage? So I really fail to see how it was disingenuous to suggest it was retaliatory, when that’s exactly what it looks like. But again….. what would you have me do, receiving such a letter at T-36 hours? Not take it seriously? I genuinely am not here to cause drama. Had I known of a current ban, if one exists, I’d simply have booked the EK flight numbers directly. But I didn’t know. So again…. What would you have me do? One day before peak summer travel?

And the ‘bad blood’ between us is nothing more than me being fed up with their ‘over promises’ and ‘under deliveries’ with regards to matters entirely within their control. I don’t see how flying on a codeshare flight on a Qantas ticket, should expose me to their service failures when, for all intents and purposes, flying on a codeshare is NOT flying Qantas. Emirates treated me better than my last Qantas flights. Priority boarding went smoothly. Priority luggage worked a treat. I was greeted and welcomed onboard by the cabin manager.

As I have said previously…. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I’d already broken the ‘golden shackles’ and moved my flying away from them and all for the better. I can’t think of a single ‘issue’ with a flight operated by an airline other than Qantas, in the last 4 or so years. And that includes flying easyJet 😳.

My first flight ‘back’ with Qantas, and BAM. Instant drama. That’s the part you should be finding ‘quite extraordinary’ and not me innocently booking emirates flights on a Qantas codeshare.
Its relevant (and the reaction to my post shows I’m not alone in that thinking). Perhaps you’re too emotionally involved to look at it objectively. The letter clearly references an existing ban. They don’t impose bans by reminding people they are on a ban. You of all people should know this. In any case you say you have paperwork which says the ban has been lifted, so what are you worrying about? Carry this with you and show as required. Obviously this error was found and ignored as you indeed flew. QF can and would have cancelled your booking it it wanted to. I’m still confused why they “requested” you to do this.

Nobody knows all the facts except you. What you have presented here has been difficult to follow and has raised more questions than answers (as the posts from a variety of members have shown) - so as I said previously I don’t know what to believe, and it may must be that you’ve omitted certain details - but my/our opinion isn’t relevant. This is between you and Qantas.

Why you wouldn’t think this letter was related to your previous ban and are conflating it with a booking error on a completely separate booking in someone else’s name is beyond me, but I appreciate you’re probably thinking the worst of the situation. Again, I am not saying you’re at fault, but the logical answer is this is an automated admin error in relation to your previous ban.

As someone who has (mistakenly) said “I’m one of them. LTG and I haven’t flown Qantas in about 5 years. Domestically or internationally. Qatar now gets my business and I get a real chuckle knowing Qantas gets billed for my multiple lounge visits despite not getting a penny in revenue. Despicable airline if you ask me.” - Why did you book an EK flight as a QF revenue ticket? Its like you’ve gone out of your way to give QF a cut. And if you haven’t flown QF in 5 years, that adds further weight to the theory the ban has been reapplied.

Yeah righto. You have form in jumping to criticise QF without even reading the post in question. You didn’t rebut my post with a counter augment but merely accused me of being “Joycian” whatever TF that means. When exactly did QF make a single threat?

This is not about you. The question related to why OP continues to give QF business having been banned from them. I sure as hell wouldn’t. As far as I know you haven’t been banned so I don’t know why you’re saying “we”.

Ok. So no empathy then. So be it. Play the man (person) in the various threads where Qantas is criticised. I'm happy to criticise the large airline where it treats its customers with contempt, as they do. I'm not beyond criticising people, certainly when they engage in a pile on but as this is a flying forum, its probably more interesting to discuss the flying aspect.

I didn't see any point in 'rebutting' your post as it was simply not worth it, sorry. "Joycian" = blame the customer; not the airline's fault! Similar to being "Joyced". 🤣

I'm saying 'we' ( above) as in in the users of this forum. "We" know how Qantas had been behaving, how their call centres have worked, how they treat their customers with contempt. A lot of "us" take exception to it. Some of "us" are more interested in arguing the critics. 🤷

Enough said. By all means, keep up the forensic dissection of word and paragraph of those daring to criticise Qantas' behaviour. Speaking of "having form" 🤣 ! But repetitiveness has its limits. Hitting the 'block' button; TTFN. :D

Last edited:
By all means, keep up the forensic dissection of word and paragraph of those daring to criticise Qantas' behaviour.

I‘ll take that as a compliment, thanks! 🙂. I do strive to pay attention to detail. Details matter when it comes to this stuff.

I only started to read this thread recently when all the info was laid out, so it was not too complicated, but I understand it would have been difficult to follow live as more info get shared.

While I have an oppinion on OP's character, his booking choices etc... it wouldnt make sense to speculate or debat it imo. The fact matters, and the fact is that, given the current info, Qantas stuffed up by bringing this old ban back into play and threaten a customer with it, which of course would be source of frustation or anger. If I was OP, I would either try and claim domages to Qantas, or decide to let it go and forget about it, whatever brings closure to this terrible experience.

I would also ensure no more ban is active: Their are a few events in life where one must catch the next flight, if it happenes to be a Qantas one I wouldnt want to be blocked.

Having quit Q over a decade ago after having to contact Q Company Secretary 3x to get Q mistakes resolved at their cost & not our family's - this thread provides some good reference points.

It is just a shame that @hmmm didn't ask for digital copies of the calls with Q. Q's Company Secretary (at any point in time) knows just how damning those call recordings can be. They automatically derail ANY attempt to paint a customer as abusive (when in fact calls may reveal Q CCA 'raising' their voice, making false claims/statement +/or breaking the law).

As @hmmm made the point clearly - being precise, concise & accurate is crucial. When making calls (to any company/Govt entity etc) always keep a note of date, time, periods on hold for x m & s, name of CCA, getting them to spell it (for the digital record & other reasons) - that way if as some companies may try & claim they cannot track it down then they again are in breach of the Federal legislation.

Reading the earlier thread, which some above tried to use to 'discredit' or caste doubts on @hmmm, it appears that the massive publicity of Q's arrogance at the expense of customers - has finally removed many of the excuses made previously to dismiss claims made against Q's spin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are people so sure this is an old ban? If OP has it in writing that it is no longer in effect why not show that?

I have a simple view on this: I'm sorry @hmmm but you have absolutely not been transparent or honest in prior threads. Instead you have let AFFers guess what really happened, admonished us (hello, where might that behaviour have come into play in the past?) when you disagree or downplayed it when they were correct. It's all there to see. You have done it again in this thread IMHO since you started off suggesting you were banned for asking for QF to cover the mistake that we only found out later was an OTA's until someone else (not you) referenced your prior banning.

We have seen one letter, it's the one from QF which states your existing ban is still in force. None saying otherwise. You'd been suggesting this was a new ban but it clearly wasn't and that became clear the moment any of us read it.

Perhaps you want to post a redacted version of your get out of jail letter so we can translate it too?

Just like it can be frustrating to have your seats change, it can be frustrating to invest in advice and empathy for someone who it turns out later on was probably acting in a reprehensible manner, but hey what do I know, I have your story and the fact you had been banned by QF security. You may have taken some flights in the interim, maybe they missed those, but it seems unlikely to me the ban was lifted based on that letter you posted.

Last edited:
Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

But the OP did not want QF to correct a mistake the OTA made. It was his partner's ticket that was a direct booking with QF. The OTA is a complete red herring.

But the OP did not want QF to correct a mistake the OTA made. It was his partner's ticket that was a direct booking with QF. The OTA is a complete red herring.
It’s been hard to keep track but yes in response to questions post #50 by the OP explains that they were two separate bookings.
One for their partner directly with QF which is the subject of the thread following a botched attempt by the call Centre to change the date and routing.
The other booking made on a QF codeshare on EK by the OP via an OTA.
This booking wasn’t altered. But the OP was contacted by QF requesting them to cancel and referring to a previous no fly order issued which the OP had previously discussed on a different thread in 2018.

Would have been clearer for all if the information in post #50 had been available in post #1.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Back