Window shades | Page 10 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Window shades

get me outta here

AFF Supporter
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Interesting moral philosophy. If people don’t do what you want, you consider it appropriate to call them all sorts of insulting names, insult the FAs and make threats in a public forum. However, if you did get your way, does that then apply to you equally?

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Interesting observation on yesterday's flight.Yes it was F and the sun was on my side.Noticed when taking my seat pics that in direct sunshine no real glare.The second picture is after takeoff and I hadn't realised the light behind me was on=glare.The windows are in front of the seat so when screen is deployed the light from the window is behind the screen.When I worked out the problem-light off and everything fine.
1566295723599.jpeg.1566295756043.jpeg.
Light was over my left shoulder.

Moody

Advocating physical violence over a trivial matter... you were very clear the first time that was your 'solution' to getting your way over that of others....
No - I was very, very clear that I was NOT advocating violence. You are the one pushing that fake news ... I wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Moody

Interesting moral philosophy. If people don’t do what you want, you consider it appropriate to call them all sorts of insulting names, insult the FAs and make threats in a public forum. However, if you did get your way, does that then apply to you equally?
What insulting names?
Where did I insult an FA?
What threat?
Does what apply to me?

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
This issue has been done to death many times, with the usual suspects claiming that their seating position on the aircraft gives them special privileges. It doesn't....
Of course it does, those who sit next to the window controls the blind.
....But if I came across an individual that believes they have complete control of the window shade adjacent to them - regardless of polite requests from fellow pax and cabin crew - then they would be STRONGLY advised not to leave their seat....
What do you mean, who do you think you are, comments like this in my reading are typical DYKWIA .

Moody

Of course it does, those who sit next to the window controls the blind.
So if the crew asked you to raise or lower the blind, you would refuse? THAT, my friend, is known as a DYKWIA.

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
So if the crew asked you to raise or lower the blind, you would refuse? THAT, my friend, is known as a DYKWIA.
I have not come across this, on short domestic flights flights I always sit on the aisle and accept what ever the window pax does with the blind. On east west flights or international I fly J or F so I sit on the aisle and control the blind/ shade.

Last edited:

Moody

You didn't answer my direct question and then threw in more misinterpretation of what I said.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
I'm also a shades up flyer. Love to see where I'm going.

For that reason, I try not to fly Dreamliner.

I've read several reasons offered for 'forced' shade closure, but I'd like to learn the 'official' reason from a responsible airline exec.
It’s the cabin crew...
feed the chooks and turn the lights out AND close the shades.

Moody

It’s the cabin crew...
feed the chooks and turn the lights out AND close the shades.
And what airline do you hold an executive position in, Quickstatus?

[Waits for tumbleweed to cross screen ...]

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
And what airline do you hold an executive position in, Quickstatus?

[Waits for tumbleweed to cross screen ...]
None but I am very good friends with a recently retired CSM of a major full service airline and this is what they do. Is that Ok?

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Just because you disagree with cabin crew does not mean you are a DYKWIA.

You are only a DYKWIA when you include the phrase DYKWIA or similar in any question/comment: “Sorry i wish to open the shades... DYKWIA?”

Moody

None but I am very good friends with a recently retired CSM of a major full service airline and this is what they do. Is that Ok?
The question is NOT what they do. It is WHY they do it. Simple concept to grasp I would have thought.

So let's try again .... what is the official reason for the window shades down policy? It's fine to say you don't know, but in your OPINION it's because of XXXXX.

Is that OK?

Moody

Just because you disagree with cabin crew does not mean you are a DYKWIA.

You are only a DYKWIA when you include the phrase DYKWIA or similar in any question/comment: “Sorry i wish to open the shades... DYKWIA?”
I didn't say "disagree", I said "refuse". If you don't understand the difference you are very lucky to still be travelling by air. And the origins of DYKWIA are certainly the sad individuals that speak those words, but the behaviour can still be there regardless of whether they are specifically uttered out loud.

Refusing an instruction from cabin crew is definitely DYKWIA behaviour.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
The question is NOT what they do. It is WHY they do it. Simple concept to grasp I would have thought.

So let's try again .... what is the official reason for the window shades down policy? It's fine to say you don't know, but in your OPINION it's because of XXXXX.

Is that OK?
In the words of the CSM friend. They do it because by making the cabin dark, it reduces the workload of the remaining cabin crew who are not on the staggered breaks. So yes that is what happens when you feed the chooks and turn the lights off including shades.
Is that OK?

Refusing or disagreeing is not necessarily DYKWIA behaviour. It might be but not necessarily so as per my above comment.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
In the words of the CSM friend. They do it because by making the cabin dark, it reduces the workload of the remaining cabin crew who are not on the staggered breaks. So yes that is what happens when you feed the chooks and turn the lights off including shades.
Is that OK?
Somewhat disappointing and maybe this particular CSM and likeminded crew should retire a lot earlier :(

This CSM’s comments are in complete contrast to the crew I know, also working for full service airlines, who say they’d much rather their time pass quickly between breaks than sitting twiddling their thumbs in the galley. Was it an aussie airline by any chance?

If the CSM had pointed out that a quiet cabin with the lights out was good for passenger comfort, i’d be wholly supportive.

Reactions: ads

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Somewhat disappointing and maybe this particular CSM and likeminded crew should retire a lot earlier :(

This CSM’s comments are in complete contrast to the crew I know, also working for full service airlines, who say they’d much rather their time pass quickly between breaks than sitting twiddling their thumbs in the galley. Was it an aussie airline by any chance?

If the CSM had pointed out that a quiet cabin with the lights out was good for passenger comfort, i’d be wholly supportive.
CSM since retired. She didn't like the fact that her MEL base does not go to LHR on the A380 anymore.
They have other better things to do than twiddling their thumbs in the galley and it does not involve answering passenger bells. I suggest that most Cabin crew see passengers as a necessary irritant.

Now i have not mentioned throughout this thread that I have an aisle preference. That means that I don't have window shade control. However I don't have any problems with Window seat controllers leaving the Shades up.

But when I do control the window shades, its up they go though I do try to accomodate fellow passengers wishes for a dark cabin.

I remember on a flight from LGA to LAX when I had a window seat, I spent the entire flight looking out the window - one of the best IFE one can get.
Though I had a bit of neck strain as the window was slightly behind the seat.

Last edited:

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flips_james