Wheel chair Ron makes his debut.

Bengaluru - how did you know? :D
It's sadly become a thing and posted on all the socials.

We were about to board a Qatar airlines flight a few years ago. I have never seen so many wheelchairs. It was kinda funny. The flight got cancelled. Everyone had to go back through immigration and get luggage etc. I often wondered if it was because of all those wheelchairs. And quite a few were abandoned when the cancel announcement was made 😂
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The irony of a more mobile population.
Indeed
However, mobility is not just for the mobile.
Transportation has made the world a lot smaller

The evolution:

Walking
Domesticated beasts of burden
Boats - paddle
Sail
Boiler driven boats
Cars
- expensive
- now cheap
- ridesharing
- self driving cars
Airplanes
- several days to go across the world
- now less than a day
Rockets
- moon
-mars?

Personal mobility devices
- wheelchairs
- what's next?. Lightweight all terrain go anywhere personal mobility.
- exoskeleton like iron man?
- personal airplanes.


.
 
Last edited:
Indeed
However, mobility is not just for the mobile.
Transportation has made the world a lot smaller
.
I imagine there's also quite the Indian diaspora whom have parents visiting them, probably for the first time and being told on the socials that this is how they help them?
 
being told on the socials that this is how they help them?
Dunno, but people, in general and historically, exploit the most accessible and cost effective transportation methods to go from A to B in the shortest amount of time.

It's really no different than driving 1km to the shops when walking is also available. Or driving a golf cart around 18 holes.
 
Dunno, but people, in general and historically, exploit the most accessible and cost effective transportation methods to go from A to B in the shortest amount of time.
I see a LOT more wheelchairs around airports in recent years than say, 20yrs ago. I doubt human physicality has changed over that period.
 
I doubt human physicality has changed over that period.
No doubt there are lots of Miracle Cures ᵀᴹ wheelchair users at airports.....
However,:

Life expectancy at birth
2000: 79.4yrs
2026 84.3yrs (projected as calendar year not complete)

As people live longer, so does their period of their life expectancy with a disability
And disability mobility ( through technology and also public policy) has increased during the same period

While the following table is an estimate of future life expectancy, it is informative..


Screen Shot 2026-09-22 at 3.44.26 pm.png
 
here's another consideration - when my Mum was still alive she visited me every year from Canada. While she was mobile she was quite frail and had extreme difficulty with luggage (e.g. lifting it from the carousel). The only way she could be assured of assistance was to pre-book wheelchair assistance.
 
This goes back quite a long way, particularly on flights from the subcontinent in the 1980s and 90s. English was far less widely spoken outside the major cities, especially among the older generation, and many expats would request wheelchair assistance for elderly parents travelling alone. It was often less about mobility and more about making sure they were guided through unfamiliar airports, immigration, connections and baggage collection despite the language barrier.

Over time, that practice seems to have ballooned into what we see today.

Not saying I support the current abuse of wheelchair assistance. Just adding some context as to how at least part of this practice originally developed.
 
Better gt back to the TR. most of it will be about food. Coogee isn't a place to explore with a light weight wheel chair. Too many steep hills. So tuesday night canapes.
IMG_8930.JPEG

After that we were picked up y our son an taken to his place and a simple meal which ran in both our families. Tuna and rice. Nice fresh fruit afterwards. A lovely evening catching up with our grandkids. This is even more special now.
Wednesday morning and back to the club or breakfast. Mrsdrron had the avocado and mushroom on toast. Much different to the firsttime but she preferred this version.
IMG_8931.JPEG

while I had an omelette with ham cheese and smoked salmon. Possibly the best omelette I have had.
IMG_8932.JPEG

And we couldn't pass up the afternoon tea.
IMG_8933.JPEG
 
Wednesday evening canapes.
IMG_8934.JPEG

That night we had dinner with our favourite niece. Of course I am her favourite uncle. Though I am her only uncle. The hotel has 2 restaurants. The upmarket one is Rick Stein. Didn't feel like paying $145 for half a lobster thermidor. So we went to Settlers restaurant. It was petty good. Our niece had the potato gnocchi and liked it
IMG_8935.JPEG

Mrsdrron had the pappardelle with beef ragu.It was a large serving for her and although it was very nice she couldn't finish it.
IMG_8936.JPEG

I had the lamb shoulder. Excellent.
IMG_8938.JPEG

A side of heirloom carrots with honey were also very nice.
IMG_8937.JPEG

The next morning at the club we both had th avocado and mushrooms on tost. The mushrooms were just beautiful.
IMG_8939.JPEG
 
Thursday and our last full day in Sydney. Time for my sister and I to have lunch together. She lives in Devon but comes to Australia for winter in the UK and sees her specialist here. Once again it was Settlers restaurant. Very pleasant in the day time..
IMG_8940.JPEG

IMG_8943.JPEG

IMG_8941.JPEG

They have a lunch menu so my sister and I had th club sandwich quite nice but a club sandwich. Mrsdrron had the calamari.
IMG_8942.JPEG

So we caught up with everyone except our granddaughter in Melbourne. We will be there on just over 2 weeks.

Once again up to the club and the nights canapes.
IMG_8944.JPEG

The Club was one of the best we have experienced. The food was of a high standard and the staff were excellent. The were plesant and exceptionl service. We had several long chats with them as it was exceedingly quiet.
 
Better finish this.
Friday was checkout day. The woman said did you have a good stay.
Me- no it was the worst sty i have had at an IC. Then explained perfect to her I originally booked a king room with ocean view. I had rung the hotel and said I had a wheelchair but I can still walk independently so I don't want an accessible room would be nice to have non slip mt or a chair would be fantastic.So 2 days before arrival I got the email saying we were allocated an Accessible room with a double bed. I rang straight away but they said no other rooms available..
So I ended up having our restaurant bills comped. But we re never going back.

As I got to the front door the concierge said he would get us a cab. just as he finished a cab pulled in and a fellow jumped out so I in most ungainly fashion got in. the wheelchair fits easily in a car boot when folded. Again lucky with Sydney cabs with the meter on and most direct route taken.

Then had to get through the hoards of VA and JQ pax that were checking in or going to security.. I> headed for 2 VA a gents who were helping with the kiosks. They couldn't do enough for me and I ended up with 7 VA staff helping us. 2 escorted me to the wheelchair security line and 1 took Mrsdrron through the disability line. Pretty Quick.

So then a brief stay in the VA lounge before heading to the gate. When boarding tarted I was told to move first. at the plane door met a baggage handler folded the chair. He removed the battery and I showed him how to make it a manual chair. Again FAs great. Took the battery from me and put it under the seat and put my bag and walking stick in the overheads. I was in 2A.

And off we go.
IMG_8945.JPEG

IMG_8946.JPEG

IMG_8947.JPEG

We took off towards the est and then turned north so I got to see Sydney's west.
IMG_8948.JPEG

IMG_8949.JPEG

IMG_8950.JPEG

IMG_8951.JPEG

But then we went over the cast so saw the northern Beaches from the other side. long reef standing out and Pittwater
IMG_8952.JPEG

IMG_8953.JPEG

IMG_8954.JPEG
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top