What's A Better Way to Price International Long-Haul Flights | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

What's A Better Way to Price International Long-Haul Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuapekastar

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
4,317
Flights
My Map
Mal said:
How about Qantas charges extra to get a Skybed on certain routes where there are both Skybeds and oldstyle seats?

Whoops. Already been done by Qantas...
Funny how they introduce a surcharge for skybeds, rather than introducing a discount for regular seats. :rolleyes:
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
d15.in.oz said:
Don’t forget, shortly Qantas will be marketing 3 very different “business class" seats from/to Japan using–
· Millennium (JQ)
· Dreamtime
· Skybed
(Add a JL perspective into the mix, and some very confused Japanese premium passengers are the likely result!)
I am glad you put the "business class" in quotes, because in my opinion JQ don't offer business class, just a premium economy class (and seat). But you are right about the confusion reigning for some people.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Kiwi Flyer said:
same applies trans-tasman, although granted expectations are lower for most
come to think of it same applies for NZ trans-tasman - shorthaul business (A320), old business (763) and new business (744/772)
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
come to think of it same applies for NZ trans-tasman - shorthaul business (A320), old business (763) and new business (744/772)
The only consistency about business class seating is the uncertainty of what you will get :rolleyes:
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
I want an option to be charged per kilo of total weight (pax + bags) :D:D but also an option to purchase extra leg room per cm and also option to purchase better meals.
 

inpd

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
103
Commuter said:
I want an option to be charged per kilo of total weight (pax + bags) :D:D but also an option to purchase extra leg room per cm and also option to purchase better meals.
Ahem ... Getting back on topic ...

Giving up baggage allowance for a cheaper fare would
be a good idea. My baggage weights more than half of what
I do, and probably is a good deal more comfortable :p

But, seriously, does anyone know what QANTAS are going
to do with their A380 configurations? Anything novel, or is
it going to be just a larger 747 setup.
 

milehighclub

Active Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2007
Messages
879
inpd said:
But, seriously, does anyone know what QANTAS are going
to do with their A380 configurations? Anything novel, or is
it going to be just a larger 747 setup.
The Qantas configuration will be 501 passengers. This is only an extra 51 passengers compared to the 747-300 in services that hold 450 passengers. So one would assume there is certainly more space for everyone to enjoy. As for cabin design that is most top secret - you probably won't hear much about it untill Qantas has one in their hands however there are a few tidbits for you to read here...

About Qantas - Our Company - Fleet Developments - Qantas A380
 

alect

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
351
milehighclub said:
The Qantas configuration will be 501 passengers. This is only an extra 51 passengers compared to the 747-300 in services that hold 450 passengers. So one would assume there is certainly more space for everyone to enjoy.
So what's the bet there will be an A380 surcharge :mad:
 

inpd

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
103
milehighclub said:
The Qantas configuration will be 501 passengers. This is only an extra 51 passengers compared to the 747-300 in services that hold 450 passengers. So one would assume there is certainly more space for everyone to enjoy. As for cabin design that is most top secret - you probably won't hear much about it untill Qantas has one in their hands however there are a few tidbits for you to read here...

About Qantas - Our Company - Fleet Developments - Qantas A380
According to Seat Guru United fly a 747 which seats about 350
and Qantas about 400. So I'm not sure where you get the 450 number
from.

Maybe they will have beds so that their FA and passengers need not
resort to toilets for their daliances.:D
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
inpd said:
According to Seat Guru United fly a 747 which seats about 350
and Qantas about 400. So I'm not sure where you get the 450 number
from.
the 450 figure was specifically mentioned for the 2-class QF 747-300 configuration, which has 52 Dreamtime J seats and 398 economy seats, making a total of 450 seats.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
milehighclub said:
The Qantas configuration will be 501 passengers.
The latest rumours I have heard suggest they are now putting the total seating at just under 500, more in line with the SQ planned config.

A while ago I spoke with a QF insider who said they were struggling with the F suite design as they wanted the same basic design to be able to be installed in a 747 Zone A with at least 12 suites. Fitting 12 into the 747 was proving difficult. But that was a long time ago so I expect that has now been resolved, either through design modification to the suites or dropping the 747 compatibility requirement.

I do expect to see something a little different and innovative. But my guess is that the extra space is not going to be shared equally between the classes, and economy seating will still be squeezy. It would be nice to think they move them out from 31" to say 34", but sadly I don't expect that - maybe they will go to 32" or ultra-slimline seats.

But anyone who knows the details for sure has been swore to secrecy.
 

inpd

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
103
NM said:
the 450 figure was specifically mentioned for the 2-class QF 747-300 configuration, which has 52 Dreamtime J seats and 398 economy seats, making a total of 450 seats.
Your right, but I don't think I've every flown that configuration.
I've flow the 747-338ER which has 420 seats
and mostly the 747-744 which has total about 400 seats.

Gosh, if the A380 has only 50 more seats then the fuel efficient
must be terrific to justify the extra capital outlay.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
inpd said:
Your right, but I don't think I've every flown that configuration.
I've flow the 747-338ER which has 420 seats
and mostly the 747-744 which has total about 400 seats.

Gosh, if the A380 has only 50 more seats then the fuel efficient
must be terrific to justify the extra capital outlay.
According to Airbus, the per seat operating costs with 550 seats are about 20% lower than a typically configured 744. Of course there is more to per seat operating costs than just fuel, although fuel is a significant contributing factor. And this is projected cost over the next 20 years or so, and the maintenance costs of an existing 743 or 744 in 20 years time will be a lot more than an an A380 delivered new next year.

But this is part of the reason that I can predict we will see ever increasing seating densities on the A380 over time, at least approaching the Airbus suggested 3-class config of 555 seats.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
826
NM said:
According to Airbus, the per seat operating costs with 550 seats are about 20% lower than a typically configured 744. Of course there is more to per seat operating costs than just fuel, although fuel is a significant contributing factor. And this is projected cost over the next 20 years or so, and the maintenance costs of an existing 743 or 744 in 20 years time will be a lot more than an an A380 delivered new next year.

But this is part of the reason that I can predict we will see ever increasing seating densities on the A380 over time, at least approaching the Airbus suggested 3-class config of 555 seats.
Yes we will see the seat count go up as some of the passenger comforts will disappear for more revenue earning space.
Of course when these things happen will there be an issue with the baggage space or the airline more rigorously enforce weight and size limits?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
Altair said:
Yes we will see the seat count go up as some of the passenger comforts will disappear for more revenue earning space.
Of course when these things happen will there be an issue with the baggage space or the airline more rigorously enforce weight and size limits?
Hmm, do I see a trend for 1 bag at a max of 23kg coming into play here?

I guess they can store the baggage on the bowling alley, in the gymnasium, around the piano bar, in the shower cubicle etc??
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
Hmm, do I see a trend for 1 bag at a max of 23kg coming into play here?

I guess they can store the baggage on the bowling alley, in the gymnasium, around the piano bar, in the shower cubicle etc??
The A380 has room for a bigger roof rack.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,585
Flights
My Map
Under the Snooker tables ... ;)

If they need more space thay can put the extra on the snooker table as well. (Well at least that's how it seems to work at my house :-| )
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
can you get cheaper seats in the trailer?
Yes, but if the winds are against you then the trailer is the first to be jettisoned at 35,000 feet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,044
Messages
1,897,709
Members
49,889
Latest member
Willjet

Currently Active Users

Top