What the US wants to know about visitors | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

What the US wants to know about visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
European and US officials have been holding last-minute negotiations to renew a deal on the transfer of airline passenger data before it runs out on Saturday. There have been warnings of chaos if agreement is not reached. Airlines would face massive fines if they flew to the US without supplying the data - and they could be prosecuted under European data protection laws if they did.

Under a 2004 agreement between the EU and the US, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) can access European airline reservation databases and pull out 34 pieces of information about each passenger. However, the 2004 agreement was annulled by the European Court of Justice in May, which ruled that officials had failed to give it an appropriate legal basis.

The judges said it could continue to operate until 30 September, while a new legal foundation was constructed. But discussions between the US and the EU appear to have gone beyond legal technicalities - which is why they are going down to the wire.

Full details at BBC NEWS | World | Europe | What the US knows about visitors

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
oh oh - I fly from europe to US on Sunday

Hope it is sorted out.
So I assume this was either sorted out, or Kiwi is stuck in Europe awaiting a means to get to the USA :confused: .
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,653
Flights
My Map

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
So I assume this was either sorted out, or Kiwi is stuck in Europe awaiting a means to get to the USA :confused: .
It wasn't sorted out (according to the BBC news fairly major differences of opinion) but no effect on flights, which I think means they've agreed to maintain status quo until they sort out their differences.

As it happens a number of BA flights to US were significantly delayed yesterday (1 October), but for other reasons.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
It wasn't sorted out (according to the BBC news fairly major differences of opinion) but no effect on flights, which I think means they've agreed to maintain status quo until they sort out their differences.

As it happens a number of BA flights to US were significantly delayed yesterday (1 October), but for other reasons.
Glad to hear that sanity has previaled for a change.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
Glad to hear that sanity has previaled for a change.
Only in respect of this aspect. Still annoying carry-on restrictions (only 1 piece and no liquids).
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Kiwi Flyer said:
Only in respect of this aspect. Still annoying carry-on restrictions (only 1 piece and no liquids).
This basically means no wash kit then? Basically I guess I cant go to the US/UK with just hand luggage.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
simongr said:
This basically means no wash kit then? Basically I guess I cant go to the US/UK with just hand luggage.
The US is okay with toiletries as long as they are each under 3 oz (about 90 mls) and you put them in a small clear zip-log bag for separate screening. The UK (for departing flights including connections) doesn't want any liquids other than duty free purchased at a UK airport (with same day receipt to prove bought airside). Having said that UK security did not detect my small cologne (less than 3 oz) I accidentally left in my pocket, even with a pat down twice. YMMV.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Kiwi Flyer said:
The US is okay with toiletries as long as they are each under 3 oz (about 90 mls) and you put them in a small clear zip-log bag for separate screening. The UK (for departing flights including connections) doesn't want any liquids other than duty free purchased at a UK airport (with same day receipt to prove bought airside). Having said that UK security did not detect my small cologne (less than 3 oz) I accidentally left in my pocket, even with a pat down twice. YMMV.
Hmm - interesting - not overly practical - but if I do go to US for 3 days it might be worth it

Edit

D'oh just realised I will be coming back via UK - well maybe have to route through europe somewhere....
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Easily solved - take AA to FRA and QF from there.

For my current DONE5 I had no choice (other than dropping flights altogether) since some destinations only served by BA and while others I had some choice they were not practical (eg requiring full day layover, or surface segments, or transitting through 3rd country that I'd need visa for).
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
My problem with that will be minmising travel time to get home for a saturday evening - if I leave on Monday morning. The LHR-HKG leg worked well. Once I finally get the dates sorted then I can finally actually plan this :shock:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
If you are just flying straight home from LHR then why not just put your toiletries in your checked luggage for those flights? The liquid restrictions are only in respect of carry on luggage.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
The plan would be to avoid checked luggage for once. A three day conference in New York will only necessitate two pairs of chinos and three shirts - so my luggage can be smaller :D
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
simongr said:
The plan would be to avoid checked luggage for once. A three day conference in New York will only necessitate two pairs of chinos and three shirts - so my luggage can be smaller :D
If you are flying LHR-SYD direct (same flight number) then the usual reason for not checking bags doesn't apply.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
Just check your bag. You are not going to see it again until arrival in Australia, so its going to involve maybe a 20-30 minute delay while its delivered upon arrival.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
My main reason for no checked luggage is speed at arrival - qantas seem to ignore my priority baggage tags so I always get my luggage about 1/2 way through the total emptying of the plane
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
My main reason for no checked luggage is speed at arrival - qantas seem to ignore my priority baggage tags so I always get my luggage about 1/2 way through the total emptying of the plane
well its seems like you choice is to wait 30 mins upon arrival for your bags, or arrive a day later by travelling through FRA or HEL. Sounds like a no-brainer decision to me.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Yeah - not much of a question really - I do need to work out though why I end up with 30Kg + every time I fly - I think I need to carry less shoes :)
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Yeah - not much of a question really - I do need to work out though why I end up with 30Kg + every time I fly - I think I need to carry less shoes :)
Why pack shoes at all? Don't you wear them onto the plane? I certainly wera my shoes both to the airport and onto the plane. If I packed them into my suit case I would end up with cold feet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,298
Messages
1,875,184
Members
49,187
Latest member
jyc_chan10
Top