What is a shadow ? (Qantas ) | Page 4 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

What is a shadow ? (Qantas )

Max Samuels

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
So if all goes well, i might get all 4 seats to myself! Mini business class!

Fingers crossed....
Well I was completely devo when i checked EF this morning and saw that the entire Y cabin was full... stressed the whole way to the airport over what random I might be forced to touch arms with for 10 hours..... so you can imagine my surprise when I got my boarding pass at check in with seat 1A!

Oversold flight so I got a comp upgrade.... on a cheap Y ticket that was not even upgradeable using points.
Which makes me wonder..... why was the most "coveted" seat on the aircraft (1A) not already selected by a real passenger? Am I to believe that I am the most senior WP on the flight? Does that make me king? Am I right in thinking that technically this aircraft is now mine? And all on board subject to my every desire :)

I have no idea how the various systems within QF work - but for whatever reason, today, it worked in my favour!

Eugah

I have found that when i look on the qantas app or website, it will show no vacant seat beside me 6c, however my mate who usually sits in 6A & is also WP shows a vacant seat. Could this mean i have the shadow.

mflyer100

Qantas
Silver
Logical that it seems to be mostly for P1/WP. When I was SG I never had one, however, this year I slipped down to Silver but have noticed I've had it more often. Even on a recent flight to NRT the flight was full in Y (minus 3-4 seats I counted) and when I checked EF before the flight I had the seat next to me blocked and managed to stay that way. Maybe I just got a bit lucky :)

ish

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Can’t comment on the algorithm, but as another data point.... I’m lowly WP but frequently (as in almost always) get a shadow on my regular PER<>BNE flights. When ‘my spare seat’ (lol 😄) is taken, it is either occupied by another P1,WP or SG ....and only when the plane is extremely full.

In fact, it is remarkable how often 4B and 4F, 5B and 5F, and 6B and 6F are the only empty seats on the flight...

AustraliaPoochie

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Probably more so that those 2 seats have been picked by others already.
Then QF tend to put kids alone travelling Y at rows 29/30 on the 737.
Be prepared to be "shafted" or moved.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
db07mufan