What happened to all the A380 F award availability to HKG

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Nizar, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Nizar

Nizar Established Member

Apr 1, 2013
    MEL
    Seems to have all dried up recently ?

I used to have no trouble finding seats a few months out, now I'm looking for March year and cannot find anything for then or earlier, either on AA or on the QF website, who is always trying to route me through BNE.

Any ideas ? Have QF recently moved to restrict these ?

Cheers

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe many have been snapped up by a quite a few redeeming US Airways Dividend Miles ...

If so, such is life ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. under the radar

under the radar Established Member

Apr 8, 2010
    maybe there are more actual paying pax!! :shock: ....im still bemused as to why some think airlines' need to set aside seats for F/F redemptions (yes its a benefit..but not a certainty)

4. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    What would I do with all the QFF points I have earned from flying? Buy toasters?

Empty planes = Award availability
    Empty cabins = Award availability for upgrade

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nizar

Nizar Established Member

Apr 1, 2013
    MEL
    Really ? So over the past 12 months there was plentiful award availability and now there is absolutely nothing you think that can wholly be attributed to more paying pax ?
    You're entitled to your opinion I suppose but I consider that unlikely.

As for your bemusement; If airlines have a FF program then I think its certainly a reasonable expectation that there should be at least some award availability on routes of which there used to be plenty of award availability. Of course the airline can chop and change that availability at will to suit seasonal flying patterns, sales, to manage yields better etc. But sooner or later if there is a continuing trend of absolutely no availability for the flexible frequent flyer on routes they want to travel on, then people will lose interest and walk away. Why go to effort to accumulate points if you can't ultimately use them ?

And as for your attitude; I asked what I thought was a valid question, I didn't expect to be ridiculed, usually there are friendly folk on here.

6. cove

cove Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2008
    Perth
    Nizar I haven't been looking but I think the availability on QF for premium seat redemptions has been incredibly difficult from many posts I have read.
    US Air redemptions would have tightened things since the end of March out of the east coast.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nizar

Nizar Established Member

Apr 1, 2013
    MEL
    Cheers guys

8. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    I am always bemused why some people think that any awards have not been taken by others. Is very prevalent on FT
    QF awards are 353(?) days. So 30/03/2015 less 353 days = 11/04/2014.
    As for USDM are they 330 or 353 days? 25/04/2014 + 330 days = 21/03/2015 AA is 330 days so latest is 21/03/2015

9. FuzzyAUS

FuzzyAUS Member

i booked one a couple of days ago for March 2015

10. under the radar

Apr 8, 2010
    #10 under the radar, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    and that's your opinion!! interesting that someone else's opinion (attitude) is interpreted as ridicule by those that have different 'views'...

11. anat0l

anat0l Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2006
    Brisbane
    Actually, I can't see what all the alarm is all about....

Probably doesn't help that QF has the only F service to HKG from Australia. Wish CX would come back with their said service.

12. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    You must have got seat with Nizar's name on it

• Like Like x 1
  13. TonyHancock

TonyHancock Senior Member

Aug 26, 2010
    East Cheam
    #13 TonyHancock, Apr 25, 2014
    I have seen some unusual changes in J award availability on QF metal to LHR for March/April next year. It was plentiful last week and now there doesn't seem to be much.

14. Nizar

Nizar Established Member

Apr 1, 2013
    MEL
    Wow you took my seat :p
    Do you usually book F on this route and have in the past found it alot easier to find a seat ?

Usually if I wanna travel in 3 months time, I can pick any day of the week...

15. under the radar

Apr 8, 2010
    no 'alarm' on my part..quite logical to me..get more profit per seat... and also seems it's QFs 'fault' that no other airline offers First Class on this route!! :confused:

16. anat0l

anat0l Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2006
    Brisbane
    Well, I probably should have been clearer on what I meant.

I did a search for F seats to HKG next March, and I see plenty of availability. I mean, it's not everyday, and I'm not entirely sure if you are looking for two or more seats per flight......

17. Nizar

Nizar Established Member

Apr 1, 2013
    MEL
    Really ? From where ?
    I did a search SYD-HKG this morning and couldn't find anything and I was looking for one person. And yes I looked for all of March and April. And then proceeded to check other months and still saw nothing. Maybe there was a bug in the system this morning ?

Or maybe Red Roo saw this thread and decided to be generous lol I will take another look now

18. under the radar

Apr 8, 2010
    #18 under the radar, Apr 25, 2014
    im actually agreeing with your original comment..and merely pointing out that some on here think that being an F/F or 'status' pax ...think they are 'entitled' to an 'upgradable' / vacant seat on flights

believe it or not ...'upgraded'/'points' pax cost more to an airline...so they mostly do it when it's cost 'neutral' or less

19. Nizar

Nizar Established Member

Apr 1, 2013
    MEL
    Sorry for two I meant

20. anat0l

anat0l Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2006
    Brisbane
    For two people, that's going to be tough. I'd suggest sacrificing your first born, a female virgin or a goat - pick two.

More seriously, I had a look and it's looking pretty bleak for two people. One person fine; two people no. Plenty of availability for two people in Business but not First.

If you're redeeming a QFF award, you can try calling QFF and seeing if they will request YM to release another F seat for you (this might be tough if you're not a WP).