What cheeses me off

I never thought I would ever warn people about visiting Australia but Melb CBD is such a grotty dump now. Wonderful arts and culture but not the most liveable. Where does this behavior stem from?

I blame both social and mainstream media - which drive engagement by painting bleak pictures of just about everything. I

I visit Melb CBD often (from overseas) and honestly find it busy, and vibrant and hardly what I'd call a grotty dump, and very different to the reports and claims on social and MSM. Earlier this year, happy to walk around there at 10pm (on a Friday night) with my 13yo nephew and zero concerns.

I think we have rose tinted glasses view of the past. When I was at Melbourne Uni in the late 80s/early 90s, the CBD was (generally) a no better place to be (if not much worse) than it is today. There were still plenty of homeless and/or druggies around then, there was a lot of violence on King St, there was often tension with the police, loads of demonstrations and the place was pretty dead after dark other than around the Russell St/Bourke St corner and the top end of Collins St. Walking along Bourke St from Spencer St station to Elizabeth St to catch the tram back to campus on a Sunday evening - the place was deserted and a ghost town.

Probably the one area where it a dump compared to what it used to be is that Russell St/Bourke St area - which was insanely busy with Hoyts, Greater Union and Village, all which have been long gone. But the rest of the CBD? Different place altogether.
 
I blame both social and mainstream media - which drive engagement by painting bleak pictures of just about everything. I

I visit Melb CBD often (from overseas) and honestly find it busy, and vibrant and hardly what I'd call a grotty dump, and very different to the reports and claims on social and MSM. Earlier this year, happy to walk around there at 10pm (on a Friday night) with my 13yo nephew and zero concerns.

I think we have rose tinted glasses view of the past. When I was at Melbourne Uni in the late 80s/early 90s, the CBD was (generally) a no better place to be (if not much worse) than it is today. There were still plenty of homeless and/or druggies around then, there was a lot of violence on King St, there was often tension with the police, loads of demonstrations and the place was pretty dead after dark other than around the Russell St/Bourke St corner and the top end of Collins St. Walking along Bourke St from Spencer St station to Elizabeth St to catch the tram back to campus on a Sunday evening - the place was deserted and a ghost town.

Probably the one area where it a dump compared to what it used to be is that Russell St/Bourke St area - which was insanely busy with Hoyts, Greater Union and Village, all which have been long gone. But the rest of the CBD? Different place altogether.
YMMV
I lived there in the inner city for 40+ years and - you are right - I should have articulated that I have noted the change living there continuously until I left. We can agree to disagree about whether the homeless/druggies and fights in King St are no different to now. When I was at uni 70’s/80’s we went to King St all the time as the current ‘gentleman's clubs’ were actually places to listen to Music and dance (Inflation/The Underground)
I never knew anyone who had a home invasion either.
 
Bast***s. Meta has removed the direct Block option from the post menu in the Facebook Feed, meaning you can no longer block a user or page straight from a post in your timeline
 
Bast***s. Meta has removed the direct Block option from the post menu in the Facebook Feed, meaning you can no longer block a user or page straight from a post in your timeline
Have worked it out. But have to go through hoops to get to poster's profile then block.

Annoys me trat you can't just tell Meta to NOT send you cough that you don't want, but that would break their theft and selling of personal data model wouldn't it.
 
Last edited:
Have worked it out. But have to go through hoops to get to poster's profile then block.

Annoys me trat ytou can't juyt tell Meta to NOT send you cough that you don't want, but that would break their theft and selling of personal data model wouldn't it.
The other thing is you get spammed with ads and yet you have subscribed to a page and it says do you want to see more of these posts. Ah yes because I've subscribed not to the other cough you keep asking me if I want
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Booking a restaurant and they automatically add you to their mailing list.

I will vote for whoever bans this
Pretty sure that there are already laws about that.

The better ones will have a check box to sign up or to decline that.
 
Booking a restaurant and they automatically add you to their mailing list.

I will vote for whoever bans this
Sadly it is the platform that does the booking I find the issue.
I unsub from restaurant 1 after they send me stuff post visit, then book Restaurant 2 (uses same platform) and suddenly I am getting cough from Restaurant 1 again. Some restaurants you can only book via third party platform
🤷‍♀️

First world problems
 
You join a product or company mailing list and usually the email specials come in once a week or once a month, then obviously new marketing person arrives and suddenly the emails go from once a week to a month, to every friggin day, no thanks.

You have paid for our service now give us a review, looking at you travel insurance, you have done nothing except take my money and ask for a review. yeah sure :mad:
 
Sadly it is the platform that does the booking I find the issue.
I unsub from restaurant 1 after they send me stuff post visit, then book Restaurant 2 (uses same platform) and suddenly I am getting cough from Restaurant 1 again. Some restaurants you can only book via third party platform
🤷‍♀️

First world problems

My workaround was to pop in and book at the counter... sadly last time I did that they just spam SMS'd me a link to add a credit card... that will never happen so we went elsewhere

At 15 minutes past the booking time they started calling me... weird, if they'd just taken the booking they would have a had large table for a birthday with a weekend surcharge. Go figure 😆
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top