What cheeses me off

I never thought I would ever warn people about visiting Australia but Melb CBD is such a grotty dump now. Wonderful arts and culture but not the most liveable. Where does this behavior stem from?

I blame both social and mainstream media - which drive engagement by painting bleak pictures of just about everything. I

I visit Melb CBD often (from overseas) and honestly find it busy, and vibrant and hardly what I'd call a grotty dump, and very different to the reports and claims on social and MSM. Earlier this year, happy to walk around there at 10pm (on a Friday night) with my 13yo nephew and zero concerns.

I think we have rose tinted glasses view of the past. When I was at Melbourne Uni in the late 80s/early 90s, the CBD was (generally) a no better place to be (if not much worse) than it is today. There were still plenty of homeless and/or druggies around then, there was a lot of violence on King St, there was often tension with the police, loads of demonstrations and the place was pretty dead after dark other than around the Russell St/Bourke St corner and the top end of Collins St. Walking along Bourke St from Spencer St station to Elizabeth St to catch the tram back to campus on a Sunday evening - the place was deserted and a ghost town.

Probably the one area where it a dump compared to what it used to be is that Russell St/Bourke St area - which was insanely busy with Hoyts, Greater Union and Village, all which have been long gone. But the rest of the CBD? Different place altogether.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I blame both social and mainstream media - which drive engagement by painting bleak pictures of just about everything. I

I visit Melb CBD often (from overseas) and honestly find it busy, and vibrant and hardly what I'd call a grotty dump, and very different to the reports and claims on social and MSM. Earlier this year, happy to walk around there at 10pm (on a Friday night) with my 13yo nephew and zero concerns.

I think we have rose tinted glasses view of the past. When I was at Melbourne Uni in the late 80s/early 90s, the CBD was (generally) a no better place to be (if not much worse) than it is today. There were still plenty of homeless and/or druggies around then, there was a lot of violence on King St, there was often tension with the police, loads of demonstrations and the place was pretty dead after dark other than around the Russell St/Bourke St corner and the top end of Collins St. Walking along Bourke St from Spencer St station to Elizabeth St to catch the tram back to campus on a Sunday evening - the place was deserted and a ghost town.

Probably the one area where it a dump compared to what it used to be is that Russell St/Bourke St area - which was insanely busy with Hoyts, Greater Union and Village, all which have been long gone. But the rest of the CBD? Different place altogether.
YMMV
I lived there in the inner city for 40+ years and - you are right - I should have articulated that I have noted the change living there continuously until I left. We can agree to disagree about whether the homeless/druggies and fights in King St are no different to now. When I was at uni 70’s/80’s we went to King St all the time as the current ‘gentleman's clubs’ were actually places to listen to Music and dance (Inflation/The Underground)
I never knew anyone who had a home invasion either.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top