What a sad life; platinum on Qantas and Elite Gold on Singapore Air ..

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by jskogsta, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh well, another sad chapter have come. Now have platinum on Qantas and Eltie Gold on Singapore Airlines. All on economy over the last 7-8 months. Quite a feat. Oh well .. got to consider doing some changes from now on... :eek:

/Jorgen

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Jorgen, sad huh? Methinks "Well Done"!

If you are that concerned, might I suggest either therapy or a visit to NZ/SE Islands/LOTLWC to discuss with the multi program elite Kiwi Flyer where best to place your status'. :p :p

;) ;)

3. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Wowsers - well done on the status through economy - you have earned every benefit you get!!!

4. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Very impressive. Well done. :) :D :cool:

5. Commuter

Commuter Active Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I'd say well done too, for surviving as much flying as it must have taken to get there!

6. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Therapy is and will be required, that's for sure. I consider any massage a good therapy and hence try to get that done every now and then. :) BodyTune in Bangkok is good .. and it's a respectable establishment too.. :) 590 baht for a good 1.5 hour Thai massage, and 790 for 2+ hours, if my memory serves me right. :)

KiwiFlyer eh?! Not checked that out ..

.. we're actually thinking of moving to Singapore; hence one reason for me gradually switching over to KrisFlyer. However, going to Tokyo tomorrow morning, and will be flying Qantas ...

.. but I'll have a look. Is it good?

Thanks!

/Jorgen

7. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks! It's taken some doing, and I'm more often at the airport these days than in the office. Oh well, what do you do when you love what you do too much ...

.. getting me broke as well, trying to buy off my guilty consience with my kids. Always bring them a little something... they deserve it .. and booked a family trip to Europe tonight for next winter. 2.5 months will serve us good. Need some good old family R&R to get back on track ..

:)

/Jorgen

8. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks! Not that I've enjoyed it all, but one things for sure... I'm going to use the perks.

Actually the one thing that really annoys me with the QFF program (or most programs for that sake) is that you don't have free lounge access across the lounges everywhere you go... when you're not travelling on the airline. I know the reasoning behind it, but it really is annoying ..

In any case; have a good one ..

/Jorgen

9. meloz

meloz Member

Sep 25, 2005
    As a QF Plat you will be entitled to use the QF lounges irrespective of who you are flying with. It sounds like you have earnt it!

Meloz

10. Commuter

Commuter Active Member

Jun 14, 2006
    2 and a half months off in Europe? Sounds good! But I hope you mean going in OUR winter, not THEIR winter (brrrr)!

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Congrats jskogsta on your double status :) and achieved in economy :!:

No its not another program, it is me!

As already pointed out, QF WP gives access to any QF operated lounge no matter who you fly with.

Having status in 2 alliances can be very useful ;)

12. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    The alternative is to plan your flying well.

13. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    There are some places one alliance doesn't serve (or only via lengthy and costly detour) and another alliance does serve, and vice versa. Eg domestic travel in Australia almost non-existent on *A, whereas in NZ most places are accessibly by air only by *A.

Also having status in 2 alliances gives much more flexibility and freedom to take the best flights for the circumstances.

14. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Correct, but these days I am more often in locations where there are OneWorld lounges, and no QF lounges. Leaves me stranded... unless I am travelling on Singapore Airlines.

Ideally the Platinum and Gold levels should grant you access to the lounges (QF & others) irrespective of you travelling or not...

That would be an added benefit indeed.. :)

/Jorgen

15. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ahhh! Ok... agreed, but it still binds you to travelling with either Sinagpore Airlines or Qantas.... sometimes that's not the case. Also when I was in Seoul recently I was flying Singapore Airlines .. but with with a QF ticket I would have been able to take my collegue into the lounge on my Platinum card. However, as I flew Singapore that was not available. It would really have been a benefit to have then the chance of using the lounge .. even though I was not flying OneWorld (it was not a QF lounge)..... can't really understand the reasoning why not...

/Jorgen

16. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Agreed. My challenge is that my organizations travel agency plans all travels based on the corporate policy. Hence I can't really choose all the routes that I want. :)

/Jorgen

17. jskogsta

jskogsta Junior Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Correct! Our winter.. but I'm not a native OZzie .. as I am originally from Norway .. hence I love their winters! :) Good skiing .. and that's really something I miss!

/Jorgen

18. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I don't understand. As Kris Flyer Gold flying SQ from ICN, you could bring a guest (flying *A doesn't have to be SQ) into either SQ or OZ (Asiana) business class lounge (or first class lounge if flying first).

If you had PPS status then you wouldn't even need to be flying SQ or *A (although guest still needs to be flying *A) to use the SQ lounge.

I don't think my airline statuses binds me to just 2 airlines (hint more than 2 statuses), since there are alliance benefits (and other partner airlines too). Yes there are some airlines I fly which I don't have status benefits, but for the majority of my flying I do get status benefits from the combination of statuses held. I fly many different airlines all around the world.

19. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    It would, but I cannot see it happening. Not only would many lounges need vast expansion, but there is little benefit to the airlines in doing so. The elite status benefits are intended to keep you loyal to flying them (or their partners).