WARNING!: new TSA policy on handcarried "large electronics"

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by serfty, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Saw that below on FT, it may be of interest to those intending to travel to "TSA land".

2. sparoy

sparoy Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Sydney
    I had a hand carried CPAP machine during my recent trip to USA. In all airports except LAX, TSA always hand checked my CPAP machine after the X ray machine. They wiped the CPAP with special clothes to check for explosives ;)

3. mainly tailfirst

Oct 10, 2006
    SJC
    I just flew back from Atlanta and I can confirm this is the case. The TSA staff were verbally instructing people to remove "all laptops, dvd playes" and place them in a separate container. I don't what the cutoff is - clearly my Treo was OK - PSPs and the like may not be.

mt

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Wahat a monumentally stupid time o implement such a change. Unless there is a specific warning that a bomb will now be hidden in a video camera... Summer holidays implement a process a to scan cameras - sheesh...

5. mainly tailfirst

Oct 10, 2006
    SJC
    <cynic>
    It's all part of constantly reminding the occupants of the LOTFAP they are *always* under threat. While we were waiting to be screened (at the LONGEST security queue* I have ever been in), the speakers were reminding everyone that the TSA-DHS had assessed the current threat as 'Orange'. Thinks me**: "IT'S ALWAYS BLOODY ORANGE YOU FOOLS! I don't need to be told every 5 minutes."
    </cynic>

It's one of those things I'd chuckled about whenver I visited the States, now that I live here, it really is starting to annoy me.

*ATL is actually a pretty well run airport. Given the huge number of people through there each day, the line for Monday morning is to be expected. It took all of 50mins to get through, but was constantly moving and you had staff periodically directing traffic to the right queues. LAX could learn a few things.

** One would never actually *say* anything though. TSA and humor were separated at birth. Some well delivered sarcasm - with the right accent - does slip by them though.

mt

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  7. mainly tailfirst

Oct 10, 2006
    SJC
    Nice one. Interesting to see that have 'historical data' going back only a month, so I don't feel too guilty about not knowing of this site. Still, forewarned is forearmed - for next time.

mt

8. stryker

stryker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I actually like the TSA at T7 in LAX. They are a fairly affable bunch (though they may not know it). Unlike SFO...

As far as I am concerned, the TSA is generally quite professional and makes the contractors Australia employs look like what they are, incompetent cowboys.