WARNING! Duty Free allowance into Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,086
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Yada Yada said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
I feel the weight going on every time I walk past - you actually want me to eat one!

Yep, with a good cup of coffee. Caffeine and sugar - what a great pick-me-up. :D
Unless you're a Diebetic suffering from Hypertension. :shock:
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
serfty said:
Yada Yada said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
I feel the weight going on every time I walk past - you actually want me to eat one!

Yep, with a good cup of coffee. Caffeine and sugar - what a great pick-me-up. :D
Unless you're a Diebetic suffering from Hypertension. :shock:

Oops! :oops: Perhaps I should have added a disclaimer! :eek:
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,086
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
To get this back ONT not ALL food is tossed away.

Aside from importing SYD KK's to MEL, what you need to do is decalare any food you have and leave it for Customs to decide.

Perfect example coming back from SIN last month, the Conrad had given a box of chocolates to this HHonors Gold as they were unable to upgrade me.

We brought them back, declared them and were able to take them though.

YMMV

Perhaps with the KK's you could get a test ½ dozen from SYD, declare them and advise us here what happens in MEL.
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,449
Points
10
Maybe just ring AQIS and ask them whats the go: 1800 020 504

The other half considered KKs an airport tax that she could impose everytime I did a trip to Sydney, and there is a reason why the nutrional info is on the bottom of the box :shock:
 

Damien

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
300
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer said:
I dont understand what all the fuss is about. I've never had one and dont intend to either.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, and I have tried one. Far too sweet for my liking. I can feel my heart speed up after the first bite.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,569
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
If you really need to collect some KKs at SYD, then why not change to a domestic SYD-MEL flight departing from the domestic terminal. Then arrive into SYD as an international arrival, clear customs as usual and re-check bags at the domestic transfer desk. Before boarding the multi-seated large capacity people conveyance vehicle (a long way of avoiding using the B word) to the domestic terminal, head to the KK outlet and purchase said contraband.

You will not be able to exit at SYD and rejoin the connecting international flight unless you have a D on your boarding pass. How do the customs folks know that you are not taking the full DF allowance into SYD, handing to a friend, heading to MEL and again entering Australia will a full DF allowance. That would be quite a rort and will not be permitted.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,086
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
NM said:
If you really need to collect some KKs at SYD, then why not change to a domestic SYD-MEL flight departing from the domestic terminal. Then arrive into SYD as an international arrival, clear customs as usual and re-check bags at the domestic transfer desk. Before boarding the multi-seated large capacity people conveyance vehicle (a long way of avoiding using the B word) to the domestic terminal, head to the KK outlet and purchase said contraband. ...
Ahh.. the sanity of Nellie Mobbs. That's quite a good idea; except I personally would take the soon to be defunct QF188 any day over something like QF497. (Then again, I am not partial to KK's either :p )

NM said:
... You will not be able to exit at SYD and rejoin the connecting international flight unless you have a D on your boarding pass. How do the customs folks know that you are not taking the full DF allowance into SYD, handing to a friend, heading to MEL and again entering Australia will a full DF allowance. That would be quite a rort and will not be permitted.
Drawing a long bow ... what? :)

No, you go back to the Qantas checkin at T1 and expain your situation. They will wack a D sticker on your BP for you. I have done this in Sydney (well, it was a 9 hours transit).
 
Possibly the best subscription service on the planet, designed specially by whisky lovers for whisky lovers. Join the club to grow your collection and drink great whisky.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Damien

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
300
Points
0
NM said:
Before boarding the multi-seated large capacity people conveyance vehicle (a long way of avoiding using the B word) to the domestic terminal, head to the KK outlet and purchase said contraband.

Firstly, nice B word avoidance tactics NM.

Secondly... you could simply board the multi-seated large capacity people conveyance vehicle and exchange small unmarked bills for said contraband at the little stall inside the domestic terminal.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
If travelling a domestic leg on an international flight are you allowed to purchase any duty free goods and not pay duty. Technically you do leave the country only to re-enter at your domestic destination and then return a few days later without actually having left Australia.

In June I am flying SYD-ADL-DRW and the ADL-DRW leg is on QF81 which is then off to SIN. In ADL I can hand a passport and boarding pass to duty free store but they don't know for sure that I won't be leaving the country at some point in the near future. Other than showing ADL-DRW on boarding pass is there anything to distinguish me from a true international passenger? No! So in theory I can purchase spirits and cigarettes in ADL and before stepping off the plane in DRW I could just place said spirits and cigarettes in carry-on luggage and no one would notice.

Is what I am proposing realistic? Am I doing anything illegal?
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,386
Points
1,065
JohnK said:
If travelling a domestic leg on an international flight are you allowed to purchase any duty free goods and not pay duty. Technically you do leave the country only to re-enter at your domestic destination and then return a few days later without actually having left Australia.

In June I am flying SYD-ADL-DRW and the ADL-DRW leg is on QF81 which is then off to SIN. In ADL I can hand a passport and boarding pass to duty free store but they don't know for sure that I won't be leaving the country at some point in the near future. Other than showing ADL-DRW on boarding pass is there anything to distinguish me from a true international passenger? No! So in theory I can purchase spirits and cigarettes in ADL and before stepping off the plane in DRW I could just place said spirits and cigarettes in carry-on luggage and no one would notice.

Is what I am proposing realistic? Am I doing anything illegal?

Very illegal. Would be classed as Duty evasion and is liable to get you in trouble if caught.

Some people would do it though, and I suppose they get away with it at times.

Your boarding pass will have a little orange "D" sticker on it. This marks you as a domestic customer. The Duty Free staff should request to see your boarding pass when purchasing items, however some will just ask for the flight number.

The x-ray at the other end could also raise suspicion to Customs when you claim to be a domestic customer and they see the shapes of cigarette boxes/spirit bottles etc...
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Mal said:
Very illegal. Would be classed as Duty evasion and is liable to get you in trouble if caught.

Some people would do it though, and I suppose they get away with it at times.

Your boarding pass will have a little orange "D" sticker on it. This marks you as a domestic customer. The Duty Free staff should request to see your boarding pass when purchasing items, however some will just ask for the flight number.
Thanks Mal. I wouldn't want to do the wrong thing. It confirms that a boarding pass identifies if you are a domestic passenger.

Mal said:
The x-ray at the other end could also raise suspicion to Customs when you claim to be a domestic customer and they see the shapes of cigarette boxes/spirit bottles etc...
There is nothing to say that the bottle of scotch is not from a previous overseas visit. In fact I still have a few laying around the house unopened. But agree that it would raise suspicion and the trouble is not really worth it.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,086
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
JohnK said:
... There is nothing to say that the bottle of scotch is not from a previous overseas visit. In fact I still have a few laying around the house unopened. But agree that it would raise suspicion and the trouble is not really worth it.
There is a way around this; it's a LONG time since I did this as it was a bit of a hassle. However, you can declare it before going through emmigration; IIRC, there was some form I needed to fill out.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
serfty said:
There is a way around this; it's a LONG time since I did this as it was a bit of a hassle. However, you can declare it before going through emmigration; IIRC, there was some form I needed to fill out.
I did this back in 2002 when I took a very new camcorder overseas with me, to ensure that they could not assume it was purchased o/s and over the limit. At SYD T1, after going through immigration, the desk straight ahead is where you get and lodge the form.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
serfty said:
JohnK said:
... There is nothing to say that the bottle of scotch is not from a previous overseas visit. In fact I still have a few laying around the house unopened. But agree that it would raise suspicion and the trouble is not really worth it.
There is a way around this; it's a LONG time since I did this as it was a bit of a hassle. However, you can declare it before going through emmigration; IIRC, there was some form I needed to fill out.
Initially I was trying to see if I could buy duty free if travelling to a domestic destination on an international flight.

After careful consideration of the advice given I will not try to sneak any duty free through.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,953
Points
855
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
JohnK said:
serfty said:
JohnK said:
... There is nothing to say that the bottle of scotch is not from a previous overseas visit. In fact I still have a few laying around the house unopened. But agree that it would raise suspicion and the trouble is not really worth it.
There is a way around this; it's a LONG time since I did this as it was a bit of a hassle. However, you can declare it before going through emmigration; IIRC, there was some form I needed to fill out.
Initially I was trying to see if I could buy duty free if travelling to a domestic destination on an international flight.

After careful consideration of the advice given I will not try to sneak any duty free through.

Good move me thinks. :idea:
 

robertz

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
134
Points
0
JohnK said:
serfty said:
JohnK said:
... There is nothing to say that the bottle of scotch is not from a previous overseas visit. In fact I still have a few laying around the house unopened. But agree that it would raise suspicion and the trouble is not really worth it.
There is a way around this; it's a LONG time since I did this as it was a bit of a hassle. However, you can declare it before going through emmigration; IIRC, there was some form I needed to fill out.
Initially I was trying to see if I could buy duty free if travelling to a domestic destination on an international flight.

After careful consideration of the advice given I will not try to sneak any duty free through.

Im sure Dave N wouldnt be surprised by this.

Ive actually done this once before.... :shock:
It was a MEL to ADL - SIN flight, about 8 years ago.

Was killing time in duty free with the wife looking at perfume, and noticed the check out chick wasn't asking for boarding passes. I was at the counter 'Quicker than Bird Flu through a Chinese chicken coup' with my carton of smokes and a 1 ltr of Vodka.

Wouldn't do it again. Was in the days where ignorance got you everywhere.

Rob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Top