WARNING! Duty Free allowance into Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertz

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
134
Points
0
Im from the school of "Dont go over grog and smokes on duty free" but everything else is open slatter and I never declare.

With electrical small items, If they ask, the item left the country with me. (I never keep the box and manuals and have an / \ power supply)

So Im totally confused when "serfty" told the story about his friend. Whats the point of buying a $2300 duty free camera, when you have to pay duty when you come back. :?

Am I missing something here, besides a brain???

Rob

Wont even go into a story of buying Duty Free 'grog and smokes' on a domestic (Intl flight) from MEL-ADL. Lets say I definitely didnt declare that one.
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,386
Points
1,065
There is a KK store in the Intl airport at SYD. It's about 1/2 way between the exit and the domestic transfer point.

The only way I see this as working is the following:

Fly SIN-SYD. Grab bags, clear customs.

Re-check into SYD airport with your bag and get your D pass on your ticket.

Head back downstairs and grab your KK's. Then go back upstairs and head through immigration again as a domestic only customer.

The only issue I see with this is the 1:40. It's a little bit short I think for doing this - especially if things go wrong such as your flight being delayed. QF may (should) rebook you on a later domestic flight to protect you, but they really don't have to.

It is possible for you to check your bags though and leave without your bags, but you still have an issue with not having a D pass on your BP. Personally, I think you'll spend about the same amount of time whether you collect your bags or not.
 

raccoon111

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
48
Points
0
I should think both boarding passes will be issued in SIN since my bookings are linked. If not, then at the transfers desk in SYD.

If I were to request my bags to be offloaded in SYD (is this even possible?), clear customs, collect bags, run upstairs to check-in, run to the KK's store, clear customs again... I think this will be quite impossible time-wise. So I shall not attempt this method.

Say I've got both boarding passes (and bags checked thru to MEL) and my first flight QF32 does reach SYD on time, I'm only concerned about customs delays/questionings ( got queried once on why I was travelling with hand luggage only at SYD quarantine), and successfully bringing the KK's past MEL quarantine ( I suppose showing a receipt will suffice).

Anyway, SYD international isn't that busy on a Wednesday night, so I hope customs will be quiet.

Will post in 3 weeks time on the outcome of this KK importation mission. :wink:


(Ps. Why can't they just bloody sell KK's in Melbourne?)
 

robertz

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
134
Points
0
raccoon111 said:
Will post in 3 weeks time on the outcome of this KK importation mission. :wink:

[\quote]

Breaking News

Man found with 3kg of KK doughnuts strapped to his body.

In a bizarre importation scam, Mr Raccoon of Somewhere, Victoria was arrested today with over 3kg's of KK doughnuts strapped to his body.
AFP were alerted to the mans strange behavior in Sydney as he was running around the Intl terminal saying to Customs Officers that he had to leave the secured area, but only for a brief time.

With the help of undercover airport security in Sydney, Mr Raccoon was seen buying multiple boxes of the illicit substance and heading to the men's toilets. Only to emerge, without the boxes, but looking like he gained 10kgs. After a meeting between AFP and Syd Security personal, they concluded that the items were concealed rather than being consumed. All agreed that consuming 3kgs of the substance would lead to a 10kg weight increase, but not in the period of time Mr Raccoon was out of visual surveillance.

After his immediate arrest in Melbourne, Mr Raccoon was taken to the AFP holding area where he was searched for more of the substance, but none could be found.
In a later media interview, AFP said this arrest was a the result of many months of undercover surveillance between many law enforcement agencies, and government departments. Mr Raacoon was definitely a major player in the KK scene in Victoria, and this seizure is just the tip of the frosting, opps I mean iceberg.

This seizure has taken off 10000KK hits off the streets of Victoria, and saving about 100 lives.

:)
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
raccoon111 said:
I should think both boarding passes will be issued in SIN since my bookings are linked. If not, then at the transfers desk in SYD.

If I were to request my bags to be offloaded in SYD (is this even possible?), clear customs, collect bags, run upstairs to check-in, run to the KK's store, clear customs again... I think this will be quite impossible time-wise. So I shall not attempt this method.

Say I've got both boarding passes (and bags checked thru to MEL) and my first flight QF32 does reach SYD on time, I'm only concerned about customs delays/questionings ( got queried once on why I was travelling with hand luggage only at SYD quarantine), and successfully bringing the KK's past MEL quarantine ( I suppose showing a receipt will suffice).

Anyway, SYD international isn't that busy on a Wednesday night, so I hope customs will be quiet.

Will post in 3 weeks time on the outcome of this KK importation mission. :wink:


(Ps. Why can't they just bloody sell KK's in Melbourne?)

I think you'll run into problems doing this. Having bags checked through will be okay (clear customs in MEL) but either you get the BP for SYD-MEL issued at SIN in which case coming back airside without D sticker will be a problem as will immigration in MEL, or you get the BP in SYD after clearing immigration, but then you run the risk of check in already being closed by the time you get there.

Easiest/safest is to change flight for SYD-MEL to a later one and just clear immigration and customs at SYD, pick up the KK and then check in for SYD-MEL.
 

raccoon111

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
48
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer said:
...coming back airside without D sticker will be a problem as will immigration in MEL,

Specifically what problems will I run into? Entering without a D sticker will mean I'll be technically leaving Australia, only to re-enter after 1hr 30 mins. Does customs have an issue with that?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
In SYD you will be questioned why you are leaving the country again after just arriving. They will be very suspicious.

In MEL they will wonder why you entered the country twice on the same day - and will get questioned.

I think you almost certainly will get taken for a search and questioning as it will seem very strange to them and they will be disinclined to believe you when you say its for the KK.
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,449
Points
10
Regardless of what you do the KKs will not be permitted in Melbourne as they are classed as food and just like the food on the plane that was loaded in Sydney they will be treated as quarantine product and destroyed.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
robertz said:
Im from the school of "Dont go over grog and smokes on duty free" but everything else is open slatter and I never declare.

With electrical small items, If they ask, the item left the country with me. (I never keep the box and manuals and have an / \ power supply)

So Im totally confused when "serfty" told the story about his friend. Whats the point of buying a $2300 duty free camera, when you have to pay duty when you come back. :?

Am I missing something here, besides a brain???

Rob

And the only crime is illegal importation of goods

Not keeping manuals or boxes is not a way to avoid detection and , indeed, can cause more serious issues since it becomes obvious that there was intent to illegally import the goods

Many electrical goods sales area can be determined from the serial number so finding that it was a Singapore model (say) would be damned obvious on arrival

Do you find that all smuggling crimes are ok, or just the ones that you undertake?

Dave
 

robertz

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
134
Points
0
Dave Noble said:
And the only crime is illegal importation of goods

Not keeping manuals or boxes is not a way to avoid detection and , indeed, can cause more serious issues since it becomes obvious that there was intent to illegally import the goods

Many electrical goods sales area can be determined from the serial number so finding that it was a Singapore model (say) would be damned obvious on arrival

Do you find that all smuggling crimes are ok, or just the ones that you undertake?

Dave

Easy Dave, Was meaning small electrical ie video camera, ipod, digital camera. Yes, carrying 50 ipods back and trying to avoid GST is a crime. I agree.

Smuggling is a bit extreme, avoiding GST is better suited. (Unless its grog/smokes, where it would be avoiding duty and GST)

Rob
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,972
Solutions
14
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
robertz said:
... So Im totally confused when "serfty" told the story about his friend. Whats the point of buying a $2300 duty free camera, when you have to pay duty when you come back. :?

Am I missing something here, besides a brain???

Rob ...
Please consider references to MIL & TA.

•TA took the the Mission Impossible stance and disavowed any knowledge....

•MIL considered associate at fault for declaring.

Both were probably guilty of using old rules to relate to a changed environment.

BTW, before the changes almost exaclty 12 months ago, any additional Duties/Taxes needed to be paid at the Landside Customs offices at the Airport; Now they have booths within the Airside Customs area for collection. I guess the revenue collection is more efficient that way. :?
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Mal said:
There is a KK store in the Intl airport at SYD. It's about 1/2 way between the exit and the domestic transfer point.
There is also one upstairs in the main food court, not too far from the entry point for immigration. Or at least it was there last time I went past.


raccoon111 said:
(Ps. Why can't they just bloody sell KK's in Melbourne?)
Well, it looks like your wish will come true. Here is an except from The Age's Epicure supplement.

www.theage.com.au said:
Hole food

By NECIA WILDEN with KYLIE WALKER
January 24, 2006

We're expecting his letter of resignation to hit the desk any day now. One of Epicure's regular freelance columnists is a die-hard fan of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and the chain is advertising for staff. Yes, the cult American doughnut is finally coming to Melbourne.

After testing the waters in Sydney - the first Krispy Kreme opened there in 2003 - the company announced last year that the first Melbourne store was expected to open in May. The latest news - sorry Krispy fans - is that it's looking more like June.

A spokesman for the company told Espresso last week a site for the first store hadn't been confirmed but that "the strategy is not to open stores in the CBD to start with ... they're looking more at suburbia". Wherever it is, it will mean the trip for supplies will be a little shorter for the many Melburnians - including our writer - who haul boxes of the sugary treats home after visits to Sydney (there are Krispy Kreme outlets in all three terminals at Sydney airport).

The company says there are no plans for an airport outlet in Melbourne. The first Melbourne store will, however, be baking and selling - in the wee small hours of the morning via the drive-through only - 24 hours a day. That means more than 26,000 doughnuts a day. Anyone else feeling giddy from the sugar rush at that thought?
And the rumour I've heard is that the first store will be located somewhere near Fountaingate. That would be noice, diffrent, unyewsual!!!
 
Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
robertz said:
Smuggling is a bit extreme, avoiding GST is better suited. (Unless its grog/smokes, where it would be avoiding duty and GST)

Rob

It isn't avoidance it is tax evasion; the importation duties are more than just the GST; I suggest a browse of the customs website regarding payable duties

Attempting to illegally import goods into a country is smuggling, whether it be smallish amounts or high amounts

smuggle verb (smuggled, smuggling) 1 to take (goods) into or out of a country secretly and illegally, eg to avoid paying duty

Dave
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
18,013
Points
1,570
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
racoon111, the Krispy Kreme site at the SYD Intl Terminal used to be at Shop A9. Looks like it must have closed, as it's a Doctor Juice store now. I used to but them from there (after flying my Intl sectors BNE/SYD)

Looks like you'd have to go to the Departure Level Shop D17 for your fix. Do you have the time?? Is it worth all of this effort if something goes wrong (delayed incoming flight, being searched and delayed arrival). I'd sooner go and buy a dozen from somewhere else.

Hel, I've bought my fair share of them as presents for my clients in SYD and my staff in BNE. They're great for presents but are full of saturated fat. Do a lot of exercise after eating.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Lindsay Wilson said:
racoon111, the Krispy Kreme site at the SYD Intl Terminal used to be at Shop A9. Looks like it must have closed, as it's a Doctor Juice store now.

Looks like you'd have to go over to the Dom Terminal for your fix. Do you have the time??

They're great for presents but are full of saturated fat. Do a lot of exercise after eating.

Lindsay Wilson, according to this page they still have outlets in both arrivals and departures.

They are extraordinarily fatty, but man do they taste good! :oops:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
I dont understand what all the fuss is about. I've never had one and dont intend to either.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer said:
I dont understand what all the fuss is about. I've never had one and dont intend to either.

You have to try one of their donuts. At least once. :D Next time you are in SYD at the domestic terminals and have some time, walk to the standalone store just around the corner, on the main road.

You can "dine in" at this store (and the coffee is good) and you also get a view of the airport (it's close to the Execu-jet base). You can often get them hot off the conveyor belt at this store. The walk back will do you good! :wink:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
I feel the weight going on every time I walk past - you actually want me to eat one!
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer said:
I feel the weight going on every time I walk past - you actually want me to eat one!

Yep, with a good cup of coffee. Caffeine and sugar - what a great pick-me-up. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Top