Waitlisting for Upgrades | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Waitlisting for Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Re: Upgrades

jc73 said:
I was going sydney - auckland recently. had requested an upgrade weeks in advance which didn't come through then when I boarded - last one on I might add - there were 6 empty seats in J.

I'm platinum and was a tad bewildered as to why there were no chance for them to upgrade when there was clearly availabilty in that section
jc73

This has been covered at length previously so if you dig into some older forums you'll probably get all the details.

The short answer however is that airlines put a lot of time and effort into their yield management systems. If there is any possibility that they will sell those seats then they will not use them for upgrades. They will always cater for the businessman who arrives at the last minute and who is willing to pay whatever the cost for his seat.

Having said that it is often perplexing to see so many empty seats available :!:

:D

Gerri

redrat said:
My experience is that status gets you to the front of the queue. If the queue is made up of Plats then it's 'first in best dressed'.

I love it. :D
AIRPORTGRAN here - how do you get up to Plats ?

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Plat = Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum Status. You attain plat (also known as WP here, but that is another story) by earning 1400 Status Credits during your membership year. Nothing to do with the way you do you hair on the day of travel :D .

redrat

Gerri,
I also have lifetime Gold :D but I qualified Platinum (WP) in my first year of flying 6 years ago. I chose to fly QF all the time rather than AN so that's how I got to WP so quickly.
Here I am today 6 months before requal. is due & I'm wondering where I'm going to make the 900 odd points to get to WP again.
It seems some of the original perks are disappearing one by one (ie. your own customs line in Australia) and if the QP is the only one that remains, then lifetime Gold will be worth it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJP1961