Victoria Police criticise paypass/paywave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isochronous

Established Member
Tap-and-go credit cards contributing to increase in crime stats, Victoria Police say - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Tap-and-go credit cards are one of the main factors behind a 5 per cent increase in Victorian crime rates, according to the latest statistics released by police.
The state's Chief Commissioner, Ken Lay, said the number of deceptions - including when thieves fraudulently used other people's credit cards - had increased by 11,600 and impacted on overall crime rates.
But credit card company MasterCard has disputed this, saying industry data shows there has been no increase in fraud as a result of tap-and-go technology.
The figures released by Victoria Police compare the 12 months to March 2014 with those from the previous year.
"One of the main drivers over the last little while have been deceptions and these tap-and-go [credit] cards," Mr Lay said.
"We're seeing many, many theft of motor cars, handbags and burglaries where people are looking for these cards, are getting hold of them and within hours of getting them, they're going into stores and using them.

"So you're getting this flow-on effect... mainly because of these types of offences."
Speaking on 774 ABC Melbourne, he said police were not consulted before tap-and-go credit cards were introduced and he regretted their introduction.
"They are chewing up an enormous amount of police resources. The banks build in a margin where they absorb the cost of the theft... but this is just another sign of some of the changing offending that we're facing."
However, Mr Lay did admit he uses a tap-and-go card all the time.
"As a customer they're very, very handy, but for a criminal... [they're] also very handy," he said.

Heard this on the radio this afternoon. Wonder whether Ken Lay or Mastercard are actually right.

Surprised this has taken so long to surface - YES I have a bunch of cards with Pay-Wave / Tap'N'Go or whatever function - just still cannot believe how easy it is to use someone else's cards.

Have swapped cards with Cruiserette and senior staff in office and whammo - buy virtually what you want wherever you want when you want with some other dudes card - no wonder the drug reliant community love the concept.

I find this system very efficient for purchases under $100 but can understand the security problems for lost/stolen cards

And they thought signatures were easy to forge.

Too easy now if you have someone else's card in your possession.

Yes, having these plastic cards in peoples wallets lying around for crims to steal and then reclaim for up to $35/100 of goods is really encouraging crime.

The $50 notes sitting in the same wallet/purse are so much better.

If they allowed us to use the existing NFC technology in more phones, then the problem might go away as you would presumably need to put in your unlock code.

The $50 notes sitting in the same wallet/purse are so much better.
$100 in cash stolen from the same wallet probably generates much less work for police. That could be why Mr Lay would prefer criminals use cash :p.

Agree it provides a potential track and work (eg viewing CCTV where card used)

But I don't see it adding to the crime of stealing a wallet

Funnily enough, I picked a pay pass equipped card up off the street in Melb CBD at lunchtime today and dropped it into a branch of the issuing bank.

Paid for some dry cleaning last weekend and copped a friendly lecture from the store clerk ...who advised she works for a bank midweek. "You are mad" she scolded me, "fraud is too easy with those things". Alas, I paid the dry cleaning fees with my own card - if only I had borrowed a randoms! ;)

Watched a piece on this topic on ABC News - they interviewed a Smith St Collingwood trader who amongst others in the area refuse to take T&G/PP enabled cards. Trader cited regular occurrences of people entering stores and initially enquiring are these cards accepted - when given negative response they wander off down street to check other traders.

Watched a piece on this topic on ABC News - they interviewed a Smith St Collingwood trader who amongst others in the area refuse to take T&G/PP enabled cards. Trader cited regular occurrences of people entering stores and initially enquiring are these cards accepted - when given negative response they wander off down street to check other traders.

Yeah that sounds a tad suspicious.

The main issue for the police is indeed extra work it seems.

It seems that spending that stolen 50 note is simple b theft while wanding the paywave involves additional effort in documenting "Theft by Deception". That's the statistic that has increased significantly.

My card was stolen and the thief made multiple purchases just under $100. Disappointing thing is the cops/bank aren't interested in pursuing it because the value is too low, even though we know who it was and their prints are on the card.

It's also still awaiting on any decent case law.

theft is still theft at the end of the day though!

Easy to disable the functionality.

Just make a 1cm cut in the middle of the non chip side ;)

I know because my diamond card broke there, severing the copper wire receivers embedded in the clear plastic ;)

Have a replacement one now. But miss my disfunctional t&g :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back