Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Using "Search"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortho85

Intern
I'm damned if I can see how to search for a phrase in posts. Putting quotes around a phrase still returns useless hits with individual words.

I know it's there somewhere, and I'm being dumb. Help!

Also, on this particular Dell laptop, using Firefox, the Advanced Search button is invisible. I know it's there, and I can locate it and use it if I mouse over that area. Anyone else got this, and any solution?

I love the Forum, but I hate the Search results!

Admin

Established Member
Administrator
Solutions
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I'm not sure why you are having these problems. The main Search function is actually a Google search on the AFF website. In my experience it works well. For example, I searched on "qantas club discount". See image below.

1.jpg

Then got this result, which I though was pretty relevant
2.jpg

The Advanced Search is a bit different. It doesn't use Google - instead it searched via the internal AFF indexes. I generally prefer the Google search. Sorry, can't help you regarding the missing Advanced Search button. I suspect it is related to your specific setup.

ortho85

Intern
Thanks, Admin. The weird thing is the " " type phrase search works in the basic search button, but not in advanced search!? I had been trying to use the advanced search, because the Google one doesn't have date limits. I might have to try the site search option in Google for date limited phrases.

Cheers,

codash1099

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
I'm damned if I can see how to search for a phrase in posts. Putting quotes around a phrase still returns useless hits with individual words.

I know it's there somewhere, and I'm being dumb. Help!

Also, on this particular Dell laptop, using Firefox, the Advanced Search button is invisible. I know it's there, and I can locate it and use it if I mouse over that area. Anyone else got this, and any solution?

I love the Forum, but I hate the Search results!

I use this (suggested by someone else on the forum)

Google Advanced Search

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

JohnK

Veteran Member
The "Search" button becomes invisible in older versions of Internet Explorer as well. Haven't found a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhandinhbongda

Currently Active Users