Using Amex points, best Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have signed to the Platinum Amex charge card and I am delighted to see that my 120,000 bonus points have arrived.
The intention was to transfer these over to Qantas FF and use them on a one world J reward flights. Not sure if this is possible anymore as the itinerary we have makes it difficult to utilise and the taxes and charges doesnt make it worth it, so I think ill keep the points for something else now and scout around.
So, now I have 120,000 Amex points that I do not know what to do with them

First preference would be to fly to Europe or Dublin/Cork more specifically in Business class from Sydney. There are two of us and we are only looking at one ways. Which airline would offer the best bang for buck here? Etihad would be my preference but not great value there it must be said. Anyone else?

Do Amex points expire by any chance? Will we be in the america's next year and I am sure there would be plenty of options there to use them.
Apologies if there is another thread of this nature.

I would try and snag a flight with Singapore in First Class if I can. Flights in Singapore suite go for a cool $17k one way to Europe with a complementary stopover. So get yourself a Krisflyer account when you can.

You're not quite there yet...... But close.

For 2 pax in J on SQ to LHR/CDG, etc. you need 161,500 points (95K each person SYD-SIN-LHR and then 15% discount for booking online). In F you would need 225,250 (132,500 each less online discount).

I hear a lot of Fs and J class tossed about. What does it mean and how would you know whether a flight in F class or J class?

I use my amex points either for SQ or AA.
F class is first class,J business class.
I use AA as my primary FF scheme but even if you don't it is still pretty good value.EG J to Europe is 85000 points and F 115000 points.Can go QF or QR as 1 award but others eg CX,JAL or AY you have to use 2 awards.To Asia 40000 in J and 50000 in F though 60000 to Japan but JAL F is worth the surcharge.
Then from Asia to Europe it is 75000 in J or 90000 in F.
The best thing about using AA awards is that the taxes etc are much lower than most other FF schemes.

I use AA as my primary FF scheme but even if you don't it is still pretty good value.EG J to Europe is 85000 points and F 115000 points.Can go QF or QR as 1 award but others eg CX,JAL or AY you have to use 2 awards.

You can get to Europe on JAL using one award, same with the others I'm pretty sure.

You are right.In fact it obviously changed at some stage since I last looked.You could go via SIN or HKG in the past.Looked for J and F awards SYD-LHR in Feb and for 2 F awards at the 115000 cost and was offered via HKG,SIN and HND though HKG and HND were J to asia on QF.Only using QF and BA though.But that is because JAL and CX require you to ring.

What surprised me was 2 F awards on QF 1 or 9 even switching in DXB between 1 and 9.This was on several days in Feb 2017.

Was that 115000 points per person with JAL from Sydney to LHR?

In First, yes. You have to call to book it, though. BA is a good place to check availability.

Arrive in Narita in the late afternoon, fly out of Haneda the next morning.

In First, yes. You have to call to book it, though. BA is a good place to check availability.

Is that Amex points or other award scheme? Do you usually get a better rate for your points if you call or try booking yourself on the web?

Was that 115000 points per person with JAL from Sydney to LHR?

Is that Amex points or other award scheme? Do you usually get a better rate for your points if you call or try booking yourself on the web?

I opened a JAL mileage bank account to check availability-it is free.though AA don't have quite as much availability as shown on JMB.

It sounds to me like this would be 115,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles. However, AAdvantage is not (directly) an Amex transfer partner.

As far as I can tell, the OP would need to convert the 120,000 Amex points to 60,000 SPG points (rate of 2:1). These 60,000 SPG points would then transfer to only 75,000 AA miles. Not enough to get to Europe, unless I'm missing something. :confused:

It sounds to me like Asia Miles or KrisFlyer would be the best value for the OP. As far as I'm aware, these programs offer the best value redemptions to Europe of the Amex direct transfer partners, and transfers are 1:1 so you would get 120,000 points in either of these programs.

It sounds to me like Asia Miles or KrisFlyer would be the best value for the OP. As far as I'm aware, these programs offer the best value redemptions to Europe of the Amex direct transfer partners, and transfers are 1:1 so you would get 120,000 points in either of these programs.

I just transferred Amex to KF and it was 2:1, so my 450,000 points ended up being merely 225,000.

I just transferred Amex to KF and it was 2:1, so my 450,000 points ended up being merely 225,000.

What kind of card is this from? As far as I can tell, transfers to KF should be 1:1 from the Ascent/premium Amex programs?

What kind of card is this from? As far as I can tell, transfers to KF should be 1:1 from the Ascent/premium Amex programs?

I just realised it is not through the normal Amex, this is through Westpac Altitude. Guess I should start separating the cards and their rewards a bit better :) I think I just saw it as Amex as that is my primary card that I use the most. Long day, sorry about that :D

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I thought this one the most appropriate for my question.

I know you can transfer Amex points to various airlines, but that you can also use your Amex points through Amex to book flights.
I've heard that when you book with Amex using your points, they purchase the tickets as if you paid cash, so you therefore earn points & status when you fly.

e.g you have x number of Amex points. You ask Amex to purchase you tickets flying Qantas SYD-LAX using your Amex points. Amex books the flight, and takes your Amex points. But because Amex bought the flights they were paid for in cash so you earn status & points on that Qantas flights.

Is this a thing? If so it sounds like a good way to use your Amex points??

You can use your points in Amex travel to book flights where they are converted to cash at 1 cent per point. Not good value if you were looking at premium classes. You are right that booking this way gives status credits and earns points though.

You can use your points in Amex travel to book flights where they are converted to cash at 1 cent per point. Not good value if you were looking at premium classes. You are right that booking this way gives status credits and earns points though.

Very interesting. Thanks.

To confirm, if you have 100,000 Amex points, and asked their concierge to book you an economy flight to LAX from SYD @ $1,200 AUD that would cost 120,000 Amex points? Where as you could spend 96,00 Qantas points for the same award seat.

So if you asked them to book the same flight, but in J @ $6,000 it'd cost 600,000 points. Which with Qantas you could have got for 192,000 points.

Yes that is correct, bear in mind that the qantas reward booking will have fees and charges so for economy paying with cash or points as cash still works out better. With discount economy tickets these days, economy reward bookings are hardly worth it. Most on these boards will save their points for reward bookings in business and first class. If you just want to save money though 1 cent per point is still better than voucher redemptions.

Very interesting. Thanks.

To confirm, if you have 100,000 Amex points, and asked their concierge to book you an economy flight to LAX from SYD @ $1,200 AUD that would cost 120,000 Amex points? Where as you could spend 96,00 Qantas points for the same award seat.

So if you asked them to book the same flight, but in J @ $6,000 it'd cost 600,000 points. Which with Qantas you could have got for 192,000 points.

That's correct.

The method you suggest *could* offer some value for certain economy redemptions where the points required is relatively high and cash fares relatively low - such as your SYD-LAX example. However, for most redemptions (particularly in premium cabins) it's usually better value to transfer to the airline program and redeem that way (assuming you can find award availability).

FWIW, Amex's valuation of points at 1c each is higher than pretty much every other credit card rewards program with a similar travel reward option. Some credit card reward programs (e.g. Westpac Altitude) convert points to flights at a rate of just 0.45 cents/point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back