Using Amex MR points for flights in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPT1977

I'm new to the forum so this may have been covered previously. I have about 400,000 Amex MR points and since I can't tranfer them to Qantas FF anymore, they have just kept on accumulating.

Can anyone suggest the best way to convert/use my points for domestic travel in the US. I like Virgin America but I believe you can't transfer points to their Elevate program. What about United or AA?

Again, sorry if this has been covered to death before.

I'm new to the forum so this may have been covered previously. I have about 400,000 Amex MR points and since I can't tranfer them to Qantas FF anymore, they have just kept on accumulating.

Can anyone suggest the best way to convert/use my points for domestic travel in the US. I like Virgin America but I believe you can't transfer points to their Elevate program. What about United or AA?

Again, sorry if this has been covered to death before.

Welcome to AFF GPT1977

I believe you can transfer them to AA via SPG. Others here have done it and would know better. You can also transfer to Virgin Atlantic, but i don't know if that helps.

Nick

Welcome to AFF, GPT1977.

You could transfer your Amex points to any Star Alliance FF program such as Singapore Airlines, and redeem on a *A carrier such as United, US airways or Continental for travel in US.

Or you can use them to directly book flights using Amex Travel.

1000 MR = $10 worth

So with ~400,000 you have ~AUD4,000 worth of travel purchase.

+1 on Krisflyer, 1 Amex MR = 1 Mile and as an e.g. 25,000miles for LAX - JFK.

You may want to call them to check availability on Star Alliance partners prior to transferring though.

Another possibility could be Delta booked through DJ Velocity, burn rates not advertised so not sure the value would be as good though

Delta and US Airways Flights can also be booked through Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, again unsure of the costs though.

Though be aware that this is quite a poor value use of points.
I must have had too much blonde put in by my hairdresser today ... and can't work out what would be the best use of Amex MR points if not cashing them in straight against the ticket purchase. Any hints or advice would be most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back