US flight canceled after pilot's foul language | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

US flight canceled after pilot's foul language

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,130
bigjobs said:
F
i'd be cranky with the passenger who confronted the pilot.
I would be too. I mean, for crying out loud, poor little diddums got all upset because the naughty man said some bad words. Wah wah wah.

I'm surprised the other pax didn't just tell him/her to sit down and shut up.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
That is just ridiculous - I can say that if i had been delayed and knew the reason and person then they would have heard a few colourful phrases from me...
 
Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Flights
My Map
It's scary enough having a peeved off Cabbie driving you around. I'm not too sure that a pilot who has just had a huge argument and is very worked up still over it is in the right frame of mind to correctly fly the plane.

I know that's part of the reason why co-pilots exist, but enough crashes have occured because of disagreements between co-pilots/pilots (or them being quiet due to "deference" to the higher/smarter/more knowledgeable one) to make me not really want to be on the same plane.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,735
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Mal said:
It's scary enough having a peeved off Cabbie driving you around. I'm not too sure that a pilot who has just had a huge argument and is very worked up still over it is in the right frame of mind to correctly fly the plane.

I know that's part of the reason why co-pilots exist, but enough crashes have occured because of disagreements between co-pilots/pilots (or them being quiet due to "deference" to the higher/smarter/more knowledgeable one) to make me not really want to be on the same plane.
I agree in principle Mal, however I don't see it as big issue. One of the personality traits of a good pilot is being able to compartmentalize his/her thoughts. Most that I know are able to do this or are able to acknowledge when they have an issue and then remove themselves voluntarily.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,259
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
straitman said:
I agree in principle Mal, however I don't see it as big issue. One of the personality traits of a good pilot is being able to compartmentalize his/her thoughts. Most that I know are able to do this or are able to acknowledge when they have an issue and then remove themselves voluntarily.
The problem is that I don't know the ability of the pilot who will be operating our next flight. He may well be able to do this very well, but how do I know he is not one of the ones who is not so good at compartmentalization?
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
17,713
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Well, if you were flying with straitman you'd be okay, NM (although I'm not sure why you'd be on a helicopter...I don't think he's rated for fixed-wing...are you straitman :?:
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,259
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Lindsay Wilson said:
Well, if you were flying with straitman you'd be okay, NM (although I'm not sure why you'd be on a helicopter...I don't think he's rated for fixed-wing...are you straitman :?:
hehehe, whenever my 2 yo sees an aircraft of any type, she points and excitedly says "heli-chocolate". Makes me laugh every time. We keep finding ways to make her say it because it sounds so funny.

I would like to assume all pilots are completely professional at all times. Unfortunately there is too much evidence to show this is not always the case. I am just thankful that most are very good most of the time.
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
802
NM said:
The problem is that I don't know the ability of the pilot who will be operating our next flight. He may well be able to do this very well, but how do I know he is not one of the ones who is not so good at compartmentalization?
... compartmentalization ... ;)
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,735
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Lindsay Wilson said:
Well, if you were flying with straitman you'd be okay, NM (although I'm not sure why you'd be on a helicopter...I don't think he's rated for fixed-wing...are you straitman :?:
....of course :!: Fixed wings are the easy way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,282
Messages
2,078,329
Members
53,681
Latest member
Kavette
Top